Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Looking at a new ski

Malibuzer

I am looking at getting a new Slalom ski this winter and because of the situation that Copes is in they have some good deals. I free ski most of the time on an older HO Radius. Normally ski at 32 mph and can complete the course at 15 off. I have tried a couple of other skis but I don't know much about the HO mach 1. They are selling it online for $169 with front Lace up and a floating RTP. They have a 68" or a 70" model. I am 6' and weigh about 215 lbs. Would this be a good upgrade or should I look at some thing else? Thanks for the help guys.

Edited by trentj6930
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Malibuzer

• Malibudude

• ed obermeier

• skurfer

I am looking at getting a new Slalom ski this winter and because of the situation that Copes is in they have some good deals. I free ski most of the time on an older HO Radius. Normally ski at 32 mph and can complete the course at 15 off. I have tried a couple of other skis but I don't know much about the HO mach 1. They are selling it online for $169 with front Lace up and a floating RTP. They have a 68" or a 70" model. I am 6' and weigh about 215 lbs. Would this be a good upgrade or should I look at some thing else? Thanks for the help guys.

I am 215-220lbs and a fifteen off skier through the course as well. The 69in HO Triumph has been the best ski I've used so far, it's a notch or two above the Mach 1 and the price is right to boot.

At 32MPH, I highly suggest it. After the past four years going from a Charger, through a Nitro then settling in with the Triumph, at this point of my skiing ability, it carves nice and works great for me. Good luck.

I have the good fortune to ski with a wide variety of skiers, all the way from never-ran-the-course to guys getting into 38 off (I'm 32 - 35 off level myself, Radar MPD). I ski regularly with several folks at your level; I've moved several of them from various other skis to HO Triumphs or Radar Theorys and all have seen almost immediate improvement by moving to those skis. The cool thing about a Triumph or Theory is that you can just cruise around on it if you like, but if you want to push it a bit it will turn and burn. Has most of the attributes of a higher end ski (good edge hold, turns well of both sides etc) but is still forgiving of less than perfect body position and is much easier to get up on and less tiring to ride. A very good ski to learn the course with IMO and the Triumph hasn't changed much over the years except for graphics, some very good deals on leftover skis from previous years and they're the same ski as a brand new one. The Theory is newer on the market but bang-for-the-buck wise it's one of the best wide ride skis out there IMO.

Last season I got myself a Radar Theory to use in INT Wide Ride division (30 mph max speed), similar ski to the Triumph performance wise. I've taken this ski into 38 off at 30 mph so it is definitely a performance ski, but again it will just cruise and be easy to ride if that's what you're looking for.

I'd definitely suggest a wide ride type ski such as the two described above for your present level. If you're more aggressive and looking for more performance the next step up would be an HO Nitro or Radar Senate. Both are wider than a standard slalom ski (barely) but less wide than a wide ride. Both will take you to max speed for your age group and into shorter line at that speed, but again will be easier and more forgiving to ride than a standard high end slalom.

I'd also suggest avoiding a rear toe plate. With double boots, in a crash the ski will either stay on both feet or both will (usually) come out. You want to avoid a one-foot-in-one-foot-out crash like the Plague, that's where career ending spiral leg fractures come from. Much more control of and connection to the ski versus a toe plate. Once you get used to double boots you'll wonder how you ever skied without them.

My opinion for whatever it's worth to you.

Ed

Edited by ed obermmeier
I have the good fortune to ski with a wide variety of skiers, all the way from never-ran-the-course to guys getting into 38 off (I'm 32 - 35 off level myself, Radar MPD). I ski regularly with several folks at your level; I've moved several of them from various other skis to HO Triumphs or Radar Theorys and all have seen almost immediate improvement by moving to those skis. The cool thing about a Triumph or Theory is that you can just cruise around on it if you like, but if you want to push it a bit it will turn and burn. Has most of the attributes of a higher end ski (good edge hold, turns well of both sides etc) but is still forgiving of less than perfect body position and is much easier to get up on and less tiring to ride. A very good ski to learn the course with IMO and the Triumph hasn't changed much over the years except for graphics, some very good deals on leftover skis from previous years and they're the same ski as a brand new one. The Theory is newer on the market but bang-for-the-buck wise it's one of the best wide ride skis out there IMO.

Last season I got myself a Radar Theory to use in INT Wide Ride division (30 mph max speed), similar ski to the Triumph performance wise. I've taken this ski into 38 off at 30 mph so it is definitely a performance ski, but again it will just cruise and be easy to ride if that's what you're looking for.

I'd definitely suggest a wide ride type ski such as the two described above for your present level. If you're more aggressive and looking for more performance the next step up would be an HO Nitro or Radar Senate. Both are wider than a standard slalom ski (barely) but less wide than a wide ride. Both will take you to max speed for your age group and into shorter line at that speed, but again will be easier and more forgiving to ride than a standard high end slalom.

I'd also suggest avoiding a rear toe plate. With double boots, in a crash the ski will either stay on both feet or both will (usually) come out. You want to avoid a one-foot-in-one-foot-out crash like the Plague, that's where career ending spiral leg fractures come from. Much more control of and connection to the ski versus a toe plate. Once you get used to double boots you'll wonder how you ever skied without them.

My opinion for whatever it's worth to you.

Ed

Plus1.gif I also would go with the double boot. It may take one or two deep water starts to get use to it but it like night and day its is an outstanding advancement.

Ed is on the mony.... as usual!!!!

The System 8 has provided me a wealth of learning, a ski that reminds me when I'm not in proper form. Previously I had a burner...just no comparison great ski and the prices Copes has are hard to beat.

Plus1.gif For the Triumph w/double boots. I went to a 69" Triumph w/double Animals and my skiing improved after just a couple of rides. Increased my speed 1-2 mph and length of my runs by 50 percent. Deep water starts are way easier too. For reference, I'm

56 @ #215 and free ski 30-32 mph, 15 off. I had only skied a course a few times and that was years ago. I tried it again this summer with the Triumph and skied a personal best in the first set. Nothing to brag about but a personal best nonetheless. I agree with the post the recommends a previous model year. That's what I bought and got a heck of a deal. They are out there. Hope this helps.

Boatman

The System 8 has provided me a wealth of learning, a ski that reminds me when I'm not in proper form. Previously I had a burner...just no comparison great ski and the prices Copes has are hard to beat.

The Nitro is the same ski as the System 8 with a little additional width, something like 1/10 the of an inch wider. The System 8 is the same ski as the Monza EXCEPT that the Monza has the high dollar synaptic core that makes the ski more responsive (and less forgiving in rough water), the Sys 8 and on down have a standard issue foam core. The Sys 8 is an excellent ski and would be the likely next step up from the Nitro. FWIW.

Ed

So now it looks like I shoulde be looking for a deal on A 69" Triumoh or the Radar Theory. Keep your eyes open for me Malibucrew. I will get the double boots as well. I have started with both feet in the ski several times but just need to practice more. Thanks again. :werule:

Take a look at Wileys. I don't know what price you are looking at but 2007 TRIUMPH w/ DBL WILEY'S

CLOSEOUT PRICE $359 COMPLETE

A quick phone call to them sometimes thy have Belem's for very good price. Thy are good people to work with The wileys are very comfy also. and thy always have parts if needed.

I have looked several times on Wileys. It is a good price. Does anyone know if the Copes stores ahve anything like that at 1/2 price? Also Sixball, I have 10 1/2 feet. Which Wileys wrap would fit the best?

Thanks for the help crew. Nice pics Galaxytoad!!! I have been talking to Darren at Wileys and I am probably going to pull the trigger on the Triumph. I can't give up the skinny stick to just spend the summer wakeboarding!!!! Darren has been really good about the stupid e-mail questions that I have been asking.

I have a 67" Triumph that I have been very happy with, but the bindings ripped apart a month ago and so I need to replace them. I was thinking of trying the Radar Rails, but am open to others. What bindings are you going with Trent? What ones do you have on yours Bill?

I was thinking of just going with the Wileys wraps. Anything is going to be a big improvement over my old bindings!!! Has anyone else used the Wileys? Now it is going to be a long long winter. Hopefully a new ski, more ballast for surfing, all the hull scratches and gelcoat cracks are fixed, more tower speakers and another amp, maybe some LED interior lighting!

I was thinking of just going with the Wileys wraps. Anything is going to be a big improvement over my old bindings!!! Has anyone else used the Wileys? Now it is going to be a long long winter. Hopefully a new ski, more ballast for surfing, all the hull scratches and gelcoat cracks are fixed, more tower speakers and another amp, maybe some LED interior lighting!

A good friend had the Wiley wraps and liked them and they seemed to last quite a while. He is using something else now, but I know that he did like them at the time.

I have looked several times on Wileys. It is a good price. Does anyone know if the Copes stores ahve anything like that at 1/2 price? Also Sixball, I have 10 1/2 feet. Which Wileys wrap would fit the best?

They did have some Triumphs at the Rocklin Copes Store and animal and the next step down bindings from HO as well, however I'm not sure on the size. If you talk to them I'd ask if they could do a bit better we got 60% on bindings just by asking.

They did have some Triumphs at the Rocklin Copes Store and animal and the next step down bindings from HO as well, however I'm not sure on the size. If you talk to them I'd ask if they could do a bit better we got 60% on bindings just by asking.

Did you notice any prices? Do they have any other "Must Have" boating gear right now? I wish I could find a website with their gear on it.

Did you notice any prices? Do they have any other "Must Have" boating gear right now? I wish I could find a website with their gear on it.

Their website is boardersparadise.com. This won't cover everything in the store though. They only have 65" or 71" Triumphs ($202.00), one burner (not sure on size) Monza (66" or 67") even an older Phantom Carbon. Oh they did have a Nitro 67" for ~$220. Everything ballast bags, The Book DVD's, lifevests, drysuits (only small and 2 XXL) boards skiis. Is there anything specifically you are looking for?

Their website is boardersparadise.com. This won't cover everything in the store though. They only have 65" or 71" Triumphs ($202.00), one burner (not sure on size) Monza (66" or 67") even an older Phantom Carbon. Oh they did have a Nitro 67" for ~$220. Everything ballast bags, The Book DVD's, lifevests, drysuits (only small and 2 XXL) boards skiis. Is there anything specifically you are looking for?

Not really anything, sometimes you just can't resist a good deal!!! Whistling.gif Wileys price looks pretty good still. Or did that $202 include the Animals?

I ajust tried to go to the website and it shows it as being closed. I will try and call them directly when I can. (Can't call from work)

Edited by trentj6930

Not really anything, sometimes you just can't resist a good deal!!! Whistling.gif Wileys price looks pretty good still. Or did that $202 include the Animals?

I ajust tried to go to the website and it shows it as being closed. I will try and call them directly when I can. (Can't call from work)

Blank for all prices on skiis, the did have bindings on some and others in boxes. I purchased my current ski through Seattle Watersports, they beat Wiley's by a decent margin fyi. Copes number is 916-630-8800 fyi

I know we bought stuff we didn't really need, but hey it's cheap right......lol

Thanks Malibudude, love the new Avatar. The last guy made me want to pee my pants.

LOL...I aim to please. Biggrin.gif

Thanks for the help crew. Nice pics Galaxytoad!!! I have been talking to Darren at Wileys and I am probably going to pull the trigger on the Triumph. I can't give up the skinny stick to just spend the summer wakeboarding!!!! Darren has been really good about the stupid e-mail questions that I have been asking.

Thanks. I'm so frickin' bored now that the temps are below zero that it was fun looking for pictures of the ski. Sad isn't it Lazy.gif

Anyway, Darren and his crew are truly 1st rate. Can't go wrong there.

Can't remember who asked now that I'm on this screen, but I have double Approaches on the Triumph. 2nd choice would be double Animals. No real experience with Wileys, but there sure are a bunch of them out there on the water.

I'm on youtube looking at skiing all the time...sad but nontheless entertaining.

As stated earlier stay away from RTP...nasty buggers

Darren is a good guy, SWS just answered the phone first and ultimately beat the price and the got the CFO to say okay to the new ski.... Clap.gif

When I try to go to the Seattle Watersports website google blocks it because it appears to have been hijacked. I have the RTP on my Radius but skiied several times last year on a dual boot Ho as well. Being that I have a wide foot, a lot of my crashes have been caused by my rear foot coming out of the RTP.

When I try to go to the Seattle Watersports website google blocks it because it appears to have been hijacked. I have the RTP on my Radius but skiied several times last year on a dual boot Ho as well. Being that I have a wide foot, a lot of my crashes have been caused by my rear foot coming out of the RTP.

Could be I just called instead, I just don't always trust websites w/ it comes comes to merchandise that is very specific and oftern carried in limited quanities/sizes.

I have no experience with the Wileys but have noticed from other forums that they are a good rubber style high wrap that is more willing to let go when needed.

imo the approach or animals won’t let go near as well, at least not both, when needed in a bad OTF or similar situation.

06 found me in surgery, rehab and a lot of lost work after an OTF with animals (skiing too fast and out of control on a Nitro). Front foot held after the rear foot came out, snap! (three places)

I went to Fluid Motion dual release hardshells to keep me skiing with some confidence, they are pricy, but I love em. Safety first eh.

Hey GT, sorry about the cabin fever so to speak, don’t you have the ability to fly somewhere warmer?

And what bindings were you on when you wrenched your ankle during ski test week last year?

Merry Christmas everybody

I have found that Wileys makes a very comfortable boot. You could argue that for a high end boot it doesn't have enough support and is too soft. But for that very reason for those that don't like their feet going numb after 4 passes or ski in colder water, its quite nice. I personally don't use them but I would recommend them to any intermediate to advanced skier looking for a friendlier boot.