Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

01 Sunsetter VLX

hawk22

Hey guys,

I couldn't figure out how to edit the topic...I meant Sunsetter VLX

Newbie here. I visit WakeWorld quite a bit and I'm in the hunt for a new (to me) boat. I really like the Malibu for some reason. I don't have much for a frame of refernce. My current boat is a 1985 Supra Sunsport which is actually a decent wakeboard boat. I've ridden behind an 03 Centurion Elite V, 06 Mooomba LSV, and an 04 WakeSetter. When i rode in the Wakesetter I was convinced that that was a great boat. They had a manual wedge and thought it produced the cleanest wake I'd ever seen. So i'm looking for a newer boat but I'm trying to stay under 30 taxes included. But I'm finding some 05 Wakesetter VLX's so close to my budget, 32k everything except stereo pretty much, 36k fully loaded. I'm realizing I should try to stay within my original budget so I came across an 01 Malibu Sunsetter VLX for 15k. I haven't seen pics yet, but supposedly it has about 100 hours and stored indoors. Nothing on it. But I figure for 10k or so I should be able to get an illusion tower, speakers, and ballast and be ready to go. Initially I've been only looking at Wakesetters, but I've seen some Sunsetters and Sunscapes closer to my price range could anyone tell me if either of these will make a good wakeboard/surf boat? The 2 I've found are the 01 Sunsetter and 03 Sunscape. I just got to this site, so I will browse around. Also, can you add a wedge to an older boat or does that cause too much stress to the hull? My main purpose is wakeboarding/surfing, but I need room because we are always out with family. Thanks

Edited by hawk22
Hey guys,

I couldn't figure out how to edit the topic...I meant Sunsetter VLX

Newbie here. I visit WakeWorld quite a bit and I'm in the hunt for a new (to me) boat. I really like the Malibu for some reason. I don't have much for a frame of refernce. My current boat is a 1985 Supra Sunsport which is actually a decent wakeboard boat. I've ridden behind an 03 Centurion Elite V, 06 Mooomba LSV, and an 04 WakeSetter. When i rode in the Wakesetter I was convinced that that was a great boat. They had a manual wedge and thought it produced the cleanest wake I'd ever seen. So i'm looking for a newer boat but I'm trying to stay under 30 taxes included. But I'm finding some 05 Wakesetter VLX's so close to my budget, 32k everything except stereo pretty much, 36k fully loaded. I'm realizing I should try to stay within my original budget so I came across an 01 Malibu Sunsetter VLX for 15k. I haven't seen pics yet, but supposedly it has about 100 hours and stored indoors. Nothing on it. But I figure for 10k or so I should be able to get an illusion tower, speakers, and ballast and be ready to go. Initially I've been only looking at Wakesetters, but I've seen some Sunsetters and Sunscapes closer to my price range could anyone tell me if either of these will make a good wakeboard/surf boat? The 2 I've found are the 01 Sunsetter and 03 Sunscape. I just got to this site, so I will browse around. Also, can you add a wedge to an older boat or does that cause too much stress to the hull? My main purpose is wakeboarding/surfing, but I need room because we are always out with family. Thanks

Hard decisions ... I know and welcome to our site and hopefully you will become part of our family. Clap.gif

01 with a hundred hours sounds intriguing. If you have any questions about the 03 Sunscape let me know as I have one.

Thanks - Jim

The 01 Sunsetter VLX is a DEAL as long as it runs.

It does have the diamond hull however and will not have the same wake quality as the wake hull for wakeboarding.

-Chris

Yeah, check it out good. I know I wouldn't sell mine for $15k if someone walked up with cash in their hand.

That boat is one of the best crossovers out there. It's great for people like me who like to board, surf, and slalom. So yes, it can do all, but is it the best there is for all.....probably not. I board and surf behind mine and love it, but I know it's not as good as a wakesetter. So if you're only interested in boarding/surfing, you may be dissapointed. With ballast, wedge, and tower you can have a decent boarding boat though, and it still may be worth doing if you can find a great deal on one and up for the DIY challange. It will also have one of the best ski wakes for a v-drive if you ever think someone might want a pull on skis.

--Topic edited---

Welcome to the Crew, as others have mentioned the 01 Sunsetter is on the diamond hull (provides lift) and requires more weight to equal the waksetter hull for wakeboarding/surfing. This model year is a desirable by many due to its crossover prowess, this hull won't prevent you from completing any tricks. In ’05 the hull was changed and with it the wake characteristics, though the ramp style is still present. This is a proven hull and solid performer while the low hours do concern me, so I’d have a marine mechanic do a full diagnostic to make sure. Assuming everything is in order $15 is a very good price, the rest use for gas and other improvements you want.

I am sure there are lots of boats available for good prices right now, so in my opinion look at the Wakesetter model if you plan on wakeboarding mostly. If your not dead set on V-drives give an XTI a chance, I have a 03 and love it, the hull is the same, it does the same job for probably $5k less.

I have an 00 vlx wakesetter. Here are some things to think about.

If your gonna run a decent amount of weight (anything over 1k) then forget the wedge unless you want it for surfing, it doesnt help the wakeboard wake.

Make sure you have a very clear understanding of the differences between a diamond and non-diamond hull....really important for wakeboarding.

I honestly think you could get away putting another 5k (not 10k) into it to get a tower, racks and ballast (depending on how resourceful you are). The industry is hurting right now so I bet you could get some decent deals on gear (especially with off season stuff). Also, how handy are you with wrenches... this may decide whether or not you want to buy something done or drop the coin to have someone else do it.

Expect to spend a considerable amount of time researching who and where to take your boat for work/mods... There are just as many people doing things wrong as doing them right these days.

Are you sure that it's not 1000 hours. That does sound to good to be true. Great boat, I love mine. When I added the Illusion tower in 04 it really just mad it the best dam boat for everything. I slalom, wakeboard, sky ski, kneeboard, surf, and wakeskate and it is great for all. I do have the wedge that does help a lot with the surfing. you can have the wedge install but I hear it's a b****. you will spend 10k easy for the tower and accessories, or you can buy mine. It's for sale to make room for new Bu. If that one for 15k really only has 100 hours thats a deal.

Does that '01 have a Wedge on it? It definitely helps for all wake sports with that particular hull.

As others have said above, the Sunsetter VLX is a great crossover boat. It'll pull you through 32' off on the course in the morning, board and surf all day, and pull a nice barefooting run at dusk.

If you're looking for purely a wake boat, there are better boats out there, but for the price, that SSVLX is really really tough to pass on if it's clean and low hours.

Yeah, it seems like a pretty good deal, but I haven't seen it yet so who knows. Gosh those wakesetters are tempting...check out SF CL if anyone wants one. There is one located in Angels Camp for 36k that is LOADED. The guy sent me a ton of pics so if you want more I can send them to you. I don't know if he's budging on his price, but probably a steal at 36k anyway. I think the one for 32k I found is sold. It was at Mission RV and Marine in Cali. I want a Wakesetter, but I can only afford a Sunsetter...hmmmm...... Its interesting about the wedge because it has a love/hate following anywhere I look. I've only been on one wakesetter and when he dropped the manual wedge I loved the wake. But a lot of people claim the wake is better just sacked out without the wedge. I like the idea of not having to take up storage space personally... i hope to be a part of the crew soon.

Hey Bubu, i saw your boat for sale. That looks pretty nice. The illusion tower makes a huge difference. I think that might be one of the things I really like about the BU. I've heard they don't allow as much headroom as say a titan though

found an 04 wakesetter for 27k w/ 287 hours, illusion tower manual wedge, 340 monsoon. Is that a pretty good deal. I've been looking for the 05 or newer because they're bigger, but maybe this is a good upgrade that stays under budget...

found an 04 wakesetter for 27k w/ 287 hours, illusion tower manual wedge, 340 monsoon. Is that a pretty good deal. I've been looking for the 05 or newer because they're bigger, but maybe this is a good upgrade that stays under budget...

If the boat has been well maintained, then that sounds like a good deal for that boat. That boat will put out a killer wakeboarding wake, and the Monsoon is a great, very reliable engine. It is barely broken in at 287 hours.

Hawk, thanks the kind words about my Bu. The Illusion tower does not give any head room problem with us. I'm 5'-10" and have plenty room. The real difference in the head room is with a bimini top. There is a lot less head room with any of the cage type tower Bimini's then with an Illusions Bimini. I love not having any pipe in front of me to get in the way. Ah what can I say "I love that tower". Thumbup.gif

okay...really trying to be a part of this crew. How's the V ride? I found an 05 that seems pretty sweet. I've never been in one, but I've heard they are the old Wakesetter, so maybe kind of small. I've also talked to a boat dealer that in the past that said he would never buy a Vride because they are made so cheap, maybe he was just trying to sell me on the Wakesetter. He Claimed the bases were made of partical board??? Does anyone know of the construction of the 05 Vride? Were they solid fiberglass? is there any wood used? If the 05 V ride is the same as the 04 Wakesetter I was looking at above. Same price, would it make sense to get the vride, one year newer and 150 less hours? illusion tower too. thanks for the input. trying to purchase wihtin the next week or so and i really want a BU

okay...really trying to be a part of this crew. How's the V ride? I found an 05 that seems pretty sweet. I've never been in one, but I've heard they are the old Wakesetter, so maybe kind of small. I've also talked to a boat dealer that in the past that said he would never buy a Vride because they are made so cheap, maybe he was just trying to sell me on the Wakesetter. He Claimed the bases were made of partical board??? Does anyone know of the construction of the 05 Vride? Were they solid fiberglass? is there any wood used? If the 05 V ride is the same as the 04 Wakesetter I was looking at above. Same price, would it make sense to get the vride, one year newer and 150 less hours? illusion tower too. thanks for the input. trying to purchase wihtin the next week or so and i really want a BU

That dealer is full of you know what, I would say don't buy from someone who blatantly lies about the product.

Same construction and materials go into the ride lineup as any other malibu. You will notice less bling on the ride series...the carpets, no table, no chrome on the windshield etc.

It is still a Malibu, not a Bayliner

-Chris

Second thought, you should REALLY look at that 01 Sunsetter VLX, it may not be the perfect boat, but the price is amazing.

I bought an 01 Sunsetter VLX last fall, 65 hours but kept outside uncovered on a lift most of its life (read interior = hammered), had a heater, perfectpass, tower, and wedge, I paid $17. Put a new interior in (not cheap) did a bunch of odds and ends, put alot of hours into it, sold it for a nice profit in the spring.

For $15k in good condition + 3-4k for a Titan II tower, some board racks, maybe some tower speakers and some fat sacks you could have a great boat for short money. Then go ahead sell it, make a few bucks or break even and get the boat you really want (05+ wakesetter)

-Chris

Any thoughts on 05 Vride. I think that's the boat I'm leaning towards. I can pick it up for about 27, seems like a good deal

Depends on hours and condition.id get the 04 wakesetter same hull probably optioned a little better.I cant believe how cheap boats are these days.I bought my 01 last year for 26 and that was the best deal i could find. Cry.gif

04 Wakesetter with 277 hrs vs 05 Vride with 86 hrs. Both have the illusion tower. The vride has a decent set of tower speakers. I can get the 04 Wakesetter for 27, the 05 Vride for 26. Take the newer boat?

04 Wakesetter with 277 hrs vs 05 Vride with 86 hrs. Both have the illusion tower. The vride has a decent set of tower speakers. I can get the 04 Wakesetter for 27, the 05 Vride for 26. Take the newer boat?

yeah in that case id take the newer boat. Clap.gif

if id only waited a year Cry.gif

I'd have to see an option list for both boats, but with that one qualification & of course condition being paramount, I'd lean toward the Vride. Just take a look at the options for both boats & make sure that you're comparing apples to apples. Things like Perfect Pass, depth finder, heater, shower, racks, etc - all of that adds up fast when you have to buy them later. Look for stains on the carpets on the '05, that year had issues IIRC with the glue used when the carpet was put down in the factory.

I think the ride boats used a different carpet that year that was not problematic IIRC, but always something to look at. The 06+ carpeting is much nicer all around.

-Chris

Well, it turns out I'm not gonna be part of the crew after all. Almost. I bought an 03 Supra Launch SSV for 20k which I think will have to be good enough for a few years. If any of you need a good deal on an 04 Wakesetter, I know someone who has one. The guy who picked up the Launch for me at Auction also picked up an 04 Wakesetter VLX, Its only got 120hrs I think. Its in awesome shape, really nice trailer too. He wants a quick sell for 24k and its in Oregon. Let me know if anyone is interested.