Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

sunsetter

jvoeller

I am consider purchasing a sunsetterLX between 1998 and 2000. How is this boat for waterskiing?

We had a Sunsetter LXi, 2000, that was a really nice ski boat. With the wedge, provided great family flexibility for other pursuits as well. (Wakeboarding, the dreaded tubing, etc).

The Sunsetter has a pretty good wake, plenty good for the intermediate slalom skiers. If your looking for a more tournament type boat for slalom skiing the Sunsetter LXI is an awesome crossover. It has the diamond hull. The Sunsetter has the SV23 which is now referred to as the wake hull. But that doesn't mean it was built for wakeboarding. Your Sportster has the SV23

They made it confusing.

SV23 was the premier hull before the SV23 Diamond. The differences are there, but visually most people couldn't tell the difference. The diamond has some hook that gives a little more lift at the stern.

Bla Bla Bla, Sorry, I am at work by myself, so I probably gave you more than you were looking for.

I have the sunsetter LXI with a 525 acme prop. My ski buddy switch between his 2004 prostar 197 and we both think that the wake is very comparable and maybe even a little bit better at 22 off. Sunsetter also has a heck of a lot more room than his 197. I wouldn't switch to another boat unless it's comparable to my sunsetter lxi

I think the 99 sunsetter lxi started diamond hull. I ski with a partner with the 99 LXI it is outstanding world class. I don't think I can tell the difference between my 07 R Lxi and his SS LXI. But if you are looking for a great ski boat look for a 99 to I think a 04 SS LXI. I think it has a better wake the 190MC.

I think the 99 sunsetter lxi started diamond hull. I ski with a partner with the 99 LXI it is outstanding world class. I don't think I can tell the difference between my 07 R Lxi and his SS LXI. But if you are looking for a great ski boat look for a 99 to I think a 04 SS LXI. I think it has a better wake the 190MC.
... And the '99-'04 SLxi has a top loading trunk, the SLx's small trunk is behind the rear seatback. Edited by YJim

I've had a few Sunsetter LX's and one DD wakesetter (same hull).

They are pretty good for skiing, there are no response or response lxi, but at higher speeds (32+) those differences become less noticeable. Plus it makes for a great crossover boat, it can foot, ski, wakeboard, sky ski, whatever you want.

If your in New England, I have a nice 00 SLX I can make you a smoking deal on.

-Chris

I have a 99 Sunsetter LVi and it’s great for waterskiing and all around family fun. There’s pretty good storage under and in front of the passenger seat. The “trunk” is quit roomy. It’s a single lid you open while standing on the platform. I like being able to stow the gear easily right after getting out of the water. We’ve had it 3 seasons now and have only had to replace the starter and battery. Thumbup.gif

I had a 2000 Sunsetter LX. Very nice rec wake and you could weight it down for a decent boarding wake as well. If you slant towards slalom I'd consider looking for a 2002 Sunsetter LX. That was the one year they put the LX on a diamond hull rather than the wake hull, so the slalom wakes are a bit better.

Mike

Lovin it!!! I agree with most comments that the wake on a LX is not as good as the lxi due to the wake vs. diamond hull but in my useless opinion since I'm not hitting the course at 15 + off I think the wake is pretty good.