Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

vinyl cleaner

Do you guys use 303 cleaner AND protectant on your interiors? I've seen people recommend 303 and didn't know which one. Does it do a good job long term?

Also, should I use any particular wax for my gel coat or will most do (aka car waxes)?

Thanks,

T

Do you guys use 303 cleaner AND protectant on your interiors? I've seen people recommend 303 and didn't know which one. Does it do a good job long term?

Also, should I use any particular wax for my gel coat or will most do (aka car waxes)?

Thanks,

T

I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant. It does an excellent job long term. I rarely use a vinyl cleaner.

You'll get lots of different recommendations on wax, but a carnauba wax from Meguiar's or 3M is a good place to start.

Personally, though, I prefer Star brite Premium Marine Polish with PTFE. Relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

Good information at this site: properboatcare.com

Edited by srab

All of my life I have kept my cars, boat and trailer detailed all the time.

A recent discovery. Turtle wax "ICE".

This is a synthetic that is just a protectant after you have your car/boat finish polished the way you want it.

The advantage: It takes me less than a hour to do my car after washing it. Maybe 30 minutes for the Porsche. It is so easy that I apply it every three weeks or so and the car always has that "pop" that makes it subtly sharp. Plus it makes the water bead up like a real wax job. It's great on the big GMC too because it cuts my wax time in half or a third. I still need to use the polish, cleaner, tar remover, and clay bar occasionally to keep my car finish perfect but the regular application of ICE is so easy and fast that I use it real often. I bought a big package of microfiber towels at Costco and by using several of those with ICE it takes little time. Then just throw the microfibres in the wash and be ready to go in another three weeks. Plus the microfibre towels are real handy around the boat for on the water cleanup.

I have used ICE on my boat now instead of the car wax I was using before. Frankly on fibreglass it seems to be just as good as wax in one third the time. I did start with a perfect finish on my boat so if you need to polish out some fading or scratches you might do that first. But ICE keeps my boat sharp on a daily basis and now I carry a bottle in the boat for our 9 day campout.

Bottom line: So easy I use it more often than I need to.

Thanks,

T

I use the 303 Aerospace Protectant. It does an excellent job long term. I rarely use a vinyl cleaner.

You'll get lots of different recommendations on wax, but a carnauba wax from Meguiar's or 3M is a good place to start.

Personally, though, I prefer Star brite Premium Marine Polish with PTFE. Relatively inexpensive and easy to find.

Good information at this site: properboatcare.com

Sounds good.

• 1 year later...

So this thread is a bit old - just wondering if any of you folks have tried the "Driven" products - this guy does all the shows and his products look pretty convincing

www.driventoperfection.com

anyone?

Do not use magic eraser unless it's an absolute last resort. It will (I speak from experience) take the protective layer off the vinyl leaving a dull spot anywhere you do it. Same goes for soft scrub if not used properly. If someone doesn't think the magic eraser is abrasive I dare you to use it on your gelcoat, especially if it's dark gel coat you'll really see where it scuffs it up and dulls the finish.

Malco leather and vinyl cleaner followed up by a good conditioner such as babes seat soap or 303 and that's all you should ever need to do.

I have heard of the Malco Cleaner being the best out there - - any idea where to purchase

Go to the Malco website and look for the distributors phone number. You can meet him somewhere in the puget sound and you can buy direct from him.