Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Silent Tip Exhaust

REW

I have a 2004 DD Wake setter with a manual wedge. I looked at prevous posts on the subject but they were unclear as to how the STE's installed. 1. Do they install from the outside or do I have to access the interior of the transom (remove gas tank)? 2. will the STE's interfear with the wedge? there was a post that stated that the STE's got in the way of the pin on the manual wedge. All my locking pins for the wedge are from between the arms I dont see how the STE's will get in the way but don't want to spend $300+ to find out that I am Wrong. Also are there any deals on a set of the STE's that will lower the price a bit?

STE's mount on the outside, but you will need access to both sides in order to connect the exhaust hoses. The trunk and tank must come out.

The STE's will work in conjunction with your Wedge. (It's just the really old ones with the long removable locking pin)

Hope that helps,

Peter

My little $300 project just got a lot more expensive or more time consuming. Has any one reinfroced the trunk to hold ballest? If I gotta take out the trunk and tank I might as well do both.

Also are there any deals on a set of the STE's that will lower the price a bit?

15% and free freight on orders over $99 on our site...

We've installed them on quite a few on direct drives, there are some definite tricks we've learned to getting the old ones out that can help a lot. If you have a big set of channel locks to grab onto the only exhaust port and spin it to break the seal. you will save yourself hours of time fighting to get the old ports out.

-Paul

• 2 weeks later...

I just have the rubber flaps and silent rider inline mufflers on my RLXI. Can I swap the flaps for the STE's? Do I need to do anything with the silent rider mufflers?

I just have the rubber flaps and silent rider inline mufflers on my RLXI. Can I swap the flaps for the STE's? Do I need to do anything with the silent rider mufflers?

I cannot answer your question, but they are on sale at Bakes this weekend 20% off free shipping. 3 days only, Fri,Sat,Sun. There is sales tax.

They have this fitment information:

Fits on Malibu's with 3 1/2 inch exhaust (Most 1996 to current)

Measurements:

Overall Length: 11 inches

Outside exposure length: 8 inches

Inside Length: 2 7/8 Inches

Outside Diameter: 3 1/2 inches

http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756

Edited by TheBlackPearl

Yes, no, and read the post from SmoothWaterMan above.

Yes, no, and read the post from SmoothWaterMan above.

for over $300 plus time to install - are these worth it?

Well, depends on what you're looking for. They will quiet the boat some and they also look cool when you can see them. If you're just looking to quiet the boat, you can get some inline silencers to put in the exhaust hose between the manifolds and the mufflers. Like these, for instance.

• 4 weeks later...
The STE's will work in conjunction with your Wedge. (It's just the really old ones with the long removable locking pin)

Hope that helps,

Peter

My '98 looks identical to this. I'm assuming that this type of wedge (albeit really old) is not the one being referred to above? The only way the pin is removable is by taking out the little thumb/wing nuts on the inside of the wedge arms.

I haven't had a chance to measure yet, but my exhaust is identical to this as well. The diameter sure seemed larger than only 3.5" (perhaps the ID is 3.5 and the casing around it is larger?). Would be nice to quiet the boat down a little bit with STEs.

Any thoughts? (before I pull the trigger on my next project)

post-5643-1230069480_thumb.jpg

Edited by gjsmith73

Hope that helps,

Peter

My '98 looks identical to this. I'm assuming that this type of wedge (albeit really old) is not the one being referred to above? The only way the pin is removable is by taking out the little thumb/wing nuts on the inside of the wedge arms.

I haven't had a chance to measure yet, but my exhaust is identical to this as well. The diameter sure seemed larger than only 3.5" (perhaps the ID is 3.5 and the casing around it is larger?). Would be nice to quiet the boat down a little bit with STEs.

Any thoughts? (before I pull the trigger on my next project)

Correct, that wedge foil in the picture has the thumb pins you squeeze to the center to disengage or engage the wedge. The older style had a long pin that slid out (i could see the long pin sliding out possibly getting in the way, but it might be high enough that it won't matter) you can see in the picture http://www.bakesonline.com/detail.aspx?ID=756 that the exhaust ports have a flange then they come straight out then curve down at a 45 deg, if the pin is high enough above the exhaust port you might not have to change the wedge at all. I would take some measurements and check)

The STE's make a noticeable difference for exhaust noise so it's worth a try.

• 3 weeks later...
Well, depends on what you're looking for. They will quiet the boat some and they also look cool when you can see them. If you're just looking to quiet the boat, you can get some inline silencers to put in the exhaust hose between the manifolds and the mufflers. Like these, for instance.

Do you use these???

Do you use these???

No, but I was seriously considering getting them for my 03 RLX. SunriseH2Oskier (Jerry) has them, though I don't know if he has them installed YET. He was supposed to provide us with some before and after decibel measurements. I eagerly awaited the results of his research, for over a YEAR, then decided I might as well just buy a new boat with Silent Riders and STE tips on the transom. Biggrin.gif

Oh Delbert. . . Tease2.gif

When I saw jetro's comment earlier this morning, somehow I just knew rubber-boy would be firing a shot over my bow.

Indeed, I have a pair of those inlines sitting in my garage, right next to a loud-o-meter, just waiting for me to find a day to be able to get all the before and after numbers. Two summers have gone by, and it still hasn't happened. Maybe if rubber-boy got his a$$ out of his barcalounger and made a road trip to Michigan this summer, I would have no choice but to get it done. Dontknow.gif

When I saw jetro's comment earlier this morning, somehow I just knew rubber-boy would be firing a shot over my bow.

Indeed, I have a pair of those inlines sitting in my garage, right next to a loud-o-meter, just waiting for me to find a day to be able to get all the before and after numbers. Two summers have gone by, and it still hasn't happened. Maybe if rubber-boy got his a$$ out of his barcalounger and made a road trip to Michigan this summer, I would have no choice but to get it done. Dontknow.gif

Be careful what you wish for. Unlike other Barcalounging®, slothful, old men, I may actually do just that. You'd better be prepared to put aside the requirements of 'the man' and the honey-do list so as to accomplish something productive. . .

Oh, and it's MISTER rubber-boy to you. Tease.gif

I'll let you know, Larry. It's a project I think would be fun to tackle. The installation itself is not particularly challenging or even all that interesting to me. Lazy.gif And frankly, the noise benefit isn't all that important to me either - the boat isn't really so loud that I care. For me, the fun was going to be in getting all the performance data before and after - not just noise performance, but acceleration/top speed kind of data too. Try to quantify what the cost/benefit ratio really is. Figured I'd make a whole day out of the project. But as Jack points out above, between working for "the man" and the ever growing honey-do list I've barely found time to ski, let alone find a whole day to myself to work on this. Hell, I still need to find the time to put that 2nd heater unit I bought two years ago under the passenger side storage. ;)

I can tell you those inlines look really sweet though - very nicely polished SS! Thumbup.gif

STE tips and STE inline Silencers are available again. My opinion is that the inline silencer (which mounts between exhaust manifold and exhaust hose) does a better job reducing the sound level before the muffler, and it's easier to install.

Peter :)

[email protected]

STE tips and STE inline Silencers are available again. My opinion is that the inline silencer (which mounts between exhaust manifold and exhaust hose) does a better job reducing the sound level before the muffler, and it's easier to install.

Peter :)

[email protected]

Peter, Whats the cost of the inlines for a 05 RLXi.

I need a winter project.

Thanks

We also now have a nice addition to the silencers - you can get straight tips in a STE design. So, if you have found that the turndowns reverberate too much between the fiberglass platform and the water at low rpms, the straight tips (with a 30 degree angle cut) might be the answer.

Or if you're like me, and simply like the hot rod look....

Peter ;)

We also now have a nice addition to the silencers - you can get straight tips in a STE design. So, if you have found that the turndowns reverberate too much between the fiberglass platform and the water at low rpms, the straight tips (with a 30 degree angle cut) might be the answer.

Or if you're like me, and simply like the hot rod look....

Peter ;)

I'm looking to make the inside a little quieter at those low speeds and keep the look and rumble, looks like in-lines are the answer.

Thanks

• Like 1