Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Winterizing 2008 VLX

Hey Guys and Gals,

Quick question for you. In June I purchased a new 2008 VLX. I have a total of 19 hours on it. At 16 hours, I took it to the dealer and had the 20 hour service done to it.

Now that the winter season is here, and I don’t have the time to take it out, I want to put it away for winter.

I live in California and keep the boat inside and covered at all times. Is there a great need for winterizing my boat?

I stopped by the dealer and they keep on telling me that I SHOULD bring it in and get it winterized.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advanced.

Hey Guys and Gals,

Quick question for you. In June I purchased a new 2008 VLX. I have a total of 19 hours on it. At 16 hours, I took it to the dealer and had the 20 hour service done to it.

Now that the winter season is here, and I don’t have the time to take it out, I want to put it away for winter.

I live in California and keep the boat inside and covered at all times. Is there a great need for winterizing my boat?

I stopped by the dealer and they keep on telling me that I SHOULD bring it in and get it winterized.

What do you guys think?

Thanks in advanced.

is inside a garage?? is it heated???

small space heater if the garage is not heated and you can get away with not winterizing

I would take the half an hour or so to winterize it's always safer to do plus you get hands on experience

at least drain the water from the block,heater,shower, etc just for the corrosion factor

:werule:

I probably wouldn't bother but, I would want to start the motor and let it run for a few mins. every month or so to keep the oil in good shape. That would require hooking up a fake a lake.

BTW, if you drain the block and manifolds, you'll get more corrosion than if you leave the water in there. Oxidation occurs when oxygen is present. Full of water=no oxygen= no corrosion.

I just did mine this last sat. for the first time, added fuel stabilizer, ran biodegradable antifreeze through the engine. (which was harder than I expected due to a small stainless wire sticking out the the water inlet hose Whistling.gif I've got some great looking cuts on both of my hands trying to get it off) pulled the plugs fogged the cylinders pulled out the the bags and wiped down the bottom of the hull so there is no water left inside.

You never know how cold it can get during the winter and I'll sleep better at night :)

Dang, go big or go home, right Tony? Massive overkill for where you live. And here I've been debating even putting a/f in at all (I finally lost that debate with myself last night & will do Jerry's heater/shower mod to make the whole thing easier).

I probably wouldn't bother but, I would want to start the motor and let it run for a few mins. every month or so to keep the oil in good shape. That would require hooking up a fake a lake.

BTW, if you drain the block and manifolds, you'll get more corrosion than if you leave the water in there. Oxidation occurs when oxygen is present. Full of water=no oxygen= no corrosion.

Isn't water partially Oxygen (H2O) Dontknow.gif