Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Improve your WOW.

Ronnie

Some of the Admins/Mods were discussing what we can do to make each of the WOW's/Cow's better for everybody. Since we have several of these things under our belts now and several more are starting to put them together, what are your suggestions to make them better. Do you have any problems that you have suggestions for? Can you think of any activities you would like to include or eliminate? Sometimes these things go by so fast, the we don't see the little things that folks have problems with.

Give us your suggestions so we can make them better.

LOL, I can see that...We thought about getting a Sharpie and printing everyone's name across their forehead. Only problem is the printing would act as sunblack and they would have to wear the non-sunburned name for a week or so.

LOL, I can see that...We thought about getting a Sharpie and printing everyone's name across their forehead. Only problem is the printing would act as sunblack and they would have to wear the non-sunburned name for a week or so.

That would be a great conversation starter! ROFL.gif

First off the 2005 Texas WOW was fantastic our crew had a blast and are looking forward to the Mini-Texas WOW in October...Thanks again Ronnie and Patsy.

T-shirts were great whether we had to pay for them or not (THANKS Chris)

Get local Malibu dealers to donate prizes and have a raffle at the meet and greet

Poker Run

Suggestion for the Texas WOW :

1.) This year I noticed several boats with us but never really saw/met the owners around the lodge. I know we did the Friday night pot luck dinner and I meet several people that had not been before. On Friday evening do an introduction to everyone, Brad had the great PA system which I am sure had a mic that could of been passed around the group, a simple hello my name is blank, my screen name is blank, and do it before the pot luck dinner or at the dock in the early evening.

2.) Turn the Saturday meet and greet at the park into a lunch meet and greet, hot dogs, chips, keep it simple as possible for as little clean up as possible. It becomes a double edged sword because someone will have to set up and clean up and that cuts into fun on the water.

3.) As the Texas WOW gets bigger it would nice to do something for a charity.

As always Ronnie, you can always count on me and my crew for help with anything extra.

Edited by RiverRunner

So, instead of the Sharpie, just use some SPF45 and write their name with it on their forehead - First few hours it may be hard to know who everyone is, but it will become easier after a while.

T-shirts were great whether we had to pay for them or not (THANKS Chris)

Get local Malibu dealers to donate prizes and have a raffle at the meet and greet

Poker Run

Uhh, the shirts are a good idea. We have done them the last 2 years at the MDB. It is a pain though for the person doing it.

Poker run is good but I don't know how you would set that up.

I advise against the Malibu thing unless your dealer is really cool. We had corporate involved a year ago and, to put it gently, it didn't go well due to overinflated expectations.

I think the loose and easy approach is best with a few set up times for meet ups.

I think a meet and greet at a local restaurant, marina or even group camp the first evening is fun.

On the following Saturday, in mid-afternoon, I think a tie up, etc. is pretty cool. We can take photos, B.S. and if the tie up is on shore do dogs and such. The mid afternoon I think is ideal since most lakes are blown out or rough and busy at this time. Plus, it leaves time for an evening run back to camp or HB.

I think the Sat mid day hang out in a 5 area and do a cook out would be great, I could cook the dogs off my back deck again.

Fri at a local restaurant meet and greet would be great, JUST not to late.

We could have drag race's Thumbup.gif

This is danger but people bring your best shooter/shots to share with the group. Biggrin.gif I know there may be more WWF and Vomit.gif

The marina worked great but some folks want to do night runs before hence why it was so late.

Drag races well some of us did that already...within the 5 mph area Surprised.gif Not to mention 5 different types of music. ROFL.gif

We did bring your best infusion to the Memorial Day Bash...Just ask BigD, oh wait was it the tequila that did you in? Biggrin.gif This may turn some off that don't drink and think it's a college drunk fest. When in reality we're really a family friendly bunch. I know I want some am butta so late parting takes a backseat. We really kinda did that at WOW as well.

Corporate involvement is great if you both have an understanding vs. expectations. These events are for fun and a schedule is hard to adhere to as people bring 3rds 4ths etc and they expect to ski so getting them to show is difficult. I've always maintained this is a grass roots gathering rather than a huge corporate type thing. Our local dealer, well if you live hear know that story, so I've had donations from corporate over the last couple of years as well as a sponsored dinner that went well except the amount of people that showed vs. who said they we're coming was drastically different and disappointing. Hence, the marina/restaurant idea is much better. We did do a flotilla but with us all scatted communication is tough some have radios others don't and lake levels fluctuate that's it's hard to pick a location at the ends of the lake arms year to year.

Also in Cali it's hard to have everyone together as the lakes don't have rental type resorts on the water. Therefore, we have a mixture of houseboats, floating campsites, boat in camping, and the standard campsites. People with small kids may not be comfortable with staying on the water for safety purposes.

Maybe a list of items we’d like to demo and see if a local shop/dealer would help out?

The main thing is to be flexible.

We're going to try a BBQ with the local dealer at our WOW next year. He really wants to be involved & has offered on numerous occasions, so I think we'll do it in place of the potluck that we had Saturday evening. As was mentioned, it blows out in the afternoon, so that would be a good time to do it. We'll try & get Malibu to kick down some schwag & I'd like to work with the dealer to see if we could do some door prizes/raffles for at least 1 large item & maybe a few smaller ones. The possibility of free stuff will always help produce a larger turnout. We've talked about Poker Runs but they're hard to set up & take time out from playing on the water, & that's what we're all there for, right? One nice thing about our lake is that there's a nice day use area with a sandy beach & if we can reserve it/stake it out then that would be ideal. My thought is that if we do that in place of the potluck/tieup, then that kills a lot of birds with one stone & lets people play it loose the rest of the weekend.

I think that we'll have a better turnout up here later in the year, so we'll plan it for the first part of August.

We did bring your best infusion to the Memorial Day Bash...Just ask BigD, oh wait was it the tequila that did you in?  Biggrin.gif  This may turn some off that don't drink and think it's a college drunk fest.  When in reality we're really a family friendly bunch.  I know I want some am butta so late parting takes a backseat.  We really kinda did that at WOW as well.

This is the main reason I have not attended a WOW. I dont drink and really dont like my kids being in or seeing that type of atmosphere. Call me a prude, but I just dont think it is good for kids to see that kind of stuff. Maybe I'll just have to attend one of these days, but camp away from the main activities.

We actually had a pretty fair contingent that wasn't really drinking much, & the party didn't really start (IE the WWF match between Super Drunky....oh yeah Kim & Shannon) until after the kids went to bed. During the day especially there wasn't that much drinking going on, aside from the normal stuff on boats (none on ours).

i am not sure if this fits into the scheme of things or not. how about surf lessons, or ski lessons or boarding lessons? i or my regular crew have not surfed before. what a great place to meet some new peeps, take them out on your boat, and have them show you "how to" something you have not done. not an all day thing. just a few hours to show other people how to do or improve on water stuff. they can surf behind my boat any time if they show me how to surf. mike.

i am not sure if this fits into the scheme of things or not.  how about surf lessons, or ski lessons or boarding lessons? i or my regular crew have not surfed before.  what a great place to meet some new peeps, take them out on your boat, and have them show you "how to" something you have not done. not an all day thing. just a few hours to show other people how to do or improve on water stuff. they can surf behind my boat any time if they show me how to surf. mike.

m&m,

One thing about people that Surf, more is better, if you see someone that is surfing ask to jump in for a lesson. When we are taking a break on the beach plenty of times I have ended on someone else's boat for a round of surfing

We did bring your best infusion to the Memorial Day Bash...Just ask BigD, oh wait was it the tequila that did you in?  Biggrin.gif   This may turn some off that don't drink and think it's a college drunk fest.  When in reality we're really a family friendly bunch.  I know I want some am butta so late parting takes a backseat.  We really kinda did that at WOW as well.

This is the main reason I have not attended a WOW. I dont drink and really dont like my kids being in or seeing that type of atmosphere. Call me a prude, but I just dont think it is good for kids to see that kind of stuff. Maybe I'll just have to attend one of these days, but camp away from the main activities.

Mike it's really low key and it's not the main focus. Many bring their families and we all have a good time, I've got my 6 month old out there. As Tracie mentioned after hours we'll kick a few back but not out of control. Ask Mike(Norcalibu) as he had the same concerns and now he is so confortable he'd almost swamped his boat for us :)

i am not sure if this fits into the scheme of things or not.  how about surf lessons, or ski lessons or boarding lessons? i or my regular crew have not surfed before.  what a great place to meet some new peeps, take them out on your boat, and have them show you "how to" something you have not done. not an all day thing. just a few hours to show other people how to do or improve on water stuff. they can surf behind my boat any time if they show me how to surf. mike.

To answer the more general question of lessons, this is something that CarveItUp & I discussed prior to the NorCal WOW (I can't bring myself to use COW, it sounds like we're some sort of herd that's in need of branding) & there was a pro skier (can't remember his name right now) that we talked about trying to get for a few hours that weekend. As it turned out, we didn't have enough time to set it up. It is something that I'd like to look into further.

We did bring your best infusion to the Memorial Day Bash...Just ask BigD, oh wait was it the tequila that did you in?  Biggrin.gif 

Wait just a minute,I just can't take straight shots of tequila. I was by NO means

done in I just switched back to the mixed drinks,you know the kind with the umbrellas in them. Biggrin.gif

As far as people getting out of control drunk, the two get togethers that I attended there was no attitudes and at most PG-Rated nothing that you don't normally see at the lake or at restaurant with a bar.

In my opinion learning from other clubbers is the best part of WOWs. Experiencing different boats and equipment can get a little spendy for impulsive types like me. Crazy.gif

Joe

We're going to try a BBQ with the local dealer at our WOW next year.  He really wants to be involved & has offered on numerous occasions, so I think we'll do it in place of the potluck that we had Saturday evening.  As was mentioned, it blows out in the afternoon, so that would be a good time to do it.  We'll try & get Malibu to kick down some schwag & I'd like to work with the dealer to see if we could do some door prizes/raffles for at least 1 large item & maybe a few smaller ones.  The possibility of free stuff will always help produce a larger turnout.  We've talked about Poker Runs but they're hard to set up & take time out from playing on the water, & that's what we're all there for, right?  One nice thing about our lake is that there's a nice day use area with a sandy beach & if we can reserve it/stake it out then that would be ideal.  My thought is that if we do that in place of the potluck/tieup, then that kills a lot of birds with one stone & lets people play it loose the rest of the weekend.

I think that we'll have a better turnout up here later in the year, so we'll plan it for the first part of August.

A BBQ would be good. I would suggest that there be some better distribution of information. For example at the NW WOW, I knew there was going to be a potluck and that it was going to be at the Wakegirl houseboat, but I didn't know when and where the houseboat was exactly on the lake. I'm sure I would have figured these things out if my boat hadn't been limping back after the prop met a rock, but it definitely was not clear to me. On the other hand I like the loose nature of not feeling obligated to be on a set schedule. I would have liked to meet some others. A staging area for a BBQ and sharing boats and equipment and people would work great I think.

After spending over 2 weeks on Billy Chinook this summer, I know the lake a lot better than I did during the WOW. That was my first time ever there. I like the lake a lot by the way. We'll be doing the Houseboat Camp there again next year.

We actually had a pretty fair contingent that wasn't really drinking much, & the party didn't really start (IE the WWF match between Super Drunky....oh yeah Kim & Shannon) until after the kids went to bed.  During the day especially there wasn't that much drinking going on, aside from the normal stuff on boats (none on ours).

In all fairness, Kim (Super Drunky) drinks the least of anyone I know. Her and Shannon were just playing, it definitley wasn't a drunk fest. A very social event, at the HB tie up and potluck everyone form young and old had a good time. The HB crew stayed up late, but to my amazement most went to bed early, afterall we all wanted to get some early water, and we did Biggrin.gif

FWIW, we hardly even drank any beer on my boat.

how about surf lessons, or ski lessons or boarding lessons? i or my regular crew have not surfed before.  what a great place to meet some new peeps, take them out on your boat, and have them show you "how to" something you have not done.

This is exactly one of the best parts of WOW. We took some first timers out and had them surfing. We also had some extra equipment (ie surfboards) and let some other crew members try them out on there boats.

This year a couple of memebers had Air Chairs and Sky Ski's and were also willing to give newbies a pull.

During the dawn patrol, we all got a little instruction form other members as well.

Come join us early and we'll get your crew dialed in.

This year at Mc Clure was the third Wow for a lot of us and the only time we had seen each other since the prior year, so yeah we stayed up late and had a few adult beverages and laughed and played practical jokes on each other. but during the day only light beer drinking which I can't think anyone would have found offensive.

I personally am aganist any particiipation from dealers and such, I have found these weekends to be hard to adhere to a time schedule I think they can become a dissapointment for the venders involved.

but I'm just one guppy in a large fishtank.

We're going to try a BBQ with the local dealer at our WOW next year.  He really wants to be involved & has offered on numerous occasions, so I think we'll do it in place of the potluck that we had Saturday evening.  As was mentioned, it blows out in the afternoon, so that would be a good time to do it.  We'll try & get Malibu to kick down some schwag & I'd like to work with the dealer to see if we could do some door prizes/raffles for at least 1 large item & maybe a few smaller ones.  The possibility of free stuff will always help produce a larger turnout.  We've talked about Poker Runs but they're hard to set up & take time out from playing on the water, & that's what we're all there for, right?  One nice thing about our lake is that there's a nice day use area with a sandy beach & if we can reserve it/stake it out then that would be ideal.  My thought is that if we do that in place of the potluck/tieup, then that kills a lot of birds with one stone & lets people play it loose the rest of the weekend.

A BBQ would be good. I would suggest that there be some better distribution of information. For example at the NW WOW, I knew there was going to be a potluck and that it was going to be at the Wakegirl houseboat, but I didn't know when and where the houseboat was exactly on the lake. I'm sure I would have figured these things out if my boat hadn't been limping back after the prop met a rock, but it definitely was not clear to me. On the other hand I like the loose nature of not feeling obligated to be on a set schedule. I would have liked to meet some others. A staging area for a BBQ and sharing boats and equipment and people would work great I think.

After spending over 2 weeks on Billy Chinook this summer, I know the lake a lot better than I did during the WOW. That was my first time ever there. I like the lake a lot by the way. We'll be doing the Houseboat Camp there again next year.

I apologize for that. I didn't know myself where we would be, being our first HB ever let alone from that marina, we didn't know what the restrictions would be. We'll do a better job next time, even if it means driving out to where I can get cell coverage or even internet to post where we're at. The BBQ would work well I think. Gary even suggested bringing a boat down, but I'm not sure how good that idea is - expectations may far exceed reality in a case like that.

It looks like the Texas WOW location is unusual in that most of the other WOW/Cows are not where everyone can group together for lodging, meals and general gathering. This is one of the things I like the best about the WOW we have is that we can get to know each other in a very casual setting. Not a resturant/bar or have to travel to meet up with everyone. It's sort of like at home, everyone crowds around the kitchen and they do at the WOW too. Everyone gets to mingle with each other for hours in the early mornings before they go out for a few runs and in the evening after they return from the water. We had a Meet & Greet this year and we got to meet a few new faces there but it was in no way as much fun as the evenings at dinner and after.

As was said earlier, these things have to be family friendly and they have to look that way too. A new person looking at the posts after the WOW might get offended by something that happened and make the idea in their mind that it is a free for all when it's totally not. We need to be carefull describing the fun times we have at them so as not to drive away new WOW prospects. I am one that doesn't drink but I don't have a problem with anyone that does as long as they don't get out of hand. We have never had a problem at any of our get togethers because of drinking though. As was mentioned, everyone wants to be able to function the next day. The idea of lessons is a good one. We all boat hop and get instructions on our riding from others. One of the best parts is taking a newbie out and teaching them to ride something totally different. They are stoked for the rest of the trip.