Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Depressed on US / Canadian exchage rate

catalac

Wow can you believe the exchange rate swing in one month, basically from 1 us dollar buys 1.04 canadian, today 1us - buys 1.30 cnd. Reason I'm depressed I was going to order an 09 but the price increase will be killer. Last year I paid about 57,000 for my VTX in 09 with a 5% price increase and the 30% exchange difference from last fall that will equal 78,000 plus tax.

Upside I guess is the value of my 08 is likely up, I tried to sell it in August and had no luck thank goodness!

Maybe try to sell it in the states...quick premium. I know a few people who bought holiday houses in Mexico in USD 6 months ago, and only put down 30%. Thats a hard pill to swallow.

i feel your pain. the AU-US has dropped like a rock. it got to 98c in July and stayed above 90 for a few months. it started to drop when things really started hitting the fan a few months ago. today its around 60c Cry.gif

Aren't these exchange rates historical norms? I know the last time the Canadian dollar was par with the US dollar was the early '70s. As I recall the typical Canadian exhange rate was something like $0.65US = $1.00CN.

A bit off topic for this forum, but I'm going to post anyhow.

Maybe my family will take our winter ski trip in BC again. We went to Idaho last winter because Canada was so expensive with the poor exchange. On the upside, I'd say your ski areas will have more US bookings than they would have otherwise if the rate stays favorable.

I'm a Canadian and bought my 08 23LSV in April in Virginia. I think the exchange rate was pretty close to par...Saved myself tens of thousands of dollars (not through any good sense on my part of course, just dumb luck...).

Now, my stock portfolio is completely void of any such financial good news...

I'm a Canadian and bought my 08 23LSV in April in Virginia. I think the exchange rate was pretty close to par...Saved myself tens of thousands of dollars (not through any good sense on my part of course, just dumb luck...).

Let me get this right. You're a Canadian from Virginia that bought a boat in Virginia? Did I get that right?

Let me get this right. You're a Canadian from Virginia that bought a boat in Virginia? Did I get that right?

nope, he is a candian from canada who bought his boat in virginia last april.

Further upside (for me anyway)... begining of the year I purchased a crap load of US dollars at par and now just cashed in half of them for an approx. 27 % return on my "investment". This little deal let me buy a skid steer for the acreage and I still have my original principle amount. Granted I don't have US dollars anymore.

Just wondering because it says he's from virginia.

Catalac, MalibuMarine in Kelowna has a nice 09 VTX that they bought when the dollar was high. They have a $7,000 winter discount on it.

Give Pat a call if you are interested!

http://www.malibumarine.com/cgi-bin/malibu.../new-boats.html

I'd be shocked if there was a deal there, they are crooks imo, they were exactly 10,000 more last year on a vtx than the Wizard.

I can't let that stand. I don't think its fair to say they are crooks in Kelowna. They have sold me some excellent service over the years. They do have a much different business model than the Bandit from Calmar - I'll give you that.

It is depressing, but makes me save my money even more. I was looking at getting an 02 - 05 Wakesetter from the states but unless the dollar goes up thats not happening till at least next year.

Hopefully there will still be some deals around april.

It is depressing, but makes me save my money even more. I was looking at getting an 02 - 05 Wakesetter from the states but unless the dollar goes up thats not happening till at least next year.

Hopefully there will still be some deals around april.

No question about it. Deals on houses too.

USD-CAD Noon Rate

29/10/08: 0.8125

(1 CAD = 0.8125 USD)

Rebounding a bit. Not exactly the $1.09 when I bought my RLXi out of Michigan last November.

Edited by KokaneeKonsumer

I'm a Canadian serviceman on exchange with the USAF in Virginia.

It's nice to boat for more than 4 months of the year...It's already snowing back home...It'll be a shame to take my 23LSV back home in a couple of years and be able to use it so little...Maybe I'll sell it and buy a huge snowmobile that can pull a snowboarder...Hey, wait a minute, that's not a bad idea!

Just wondering because it says he's from virginia.

done it... it's pretty fun, though a lot harder to steer, maintain speed, and find things to jump. and even when you do, it's just awekward. good fun for a saturday though Rockon.gif

It's nice to boat for more than 4 months of the year...It's already snowing back home...It'll be a shame to take my 23LSV back home in a couple of years and be able to use it so little...Maybe I'll sell it and buy a huge snowmobile that can pull a snowboarder...Hey, wait a minute, that's not a bad idea!

Or Snowmobile wakeboarding

how much ballast would you need to surf that bad boy?

how much ballast would you need to surf that bad boy?

hahaha. good one. :lol:

The Dollar is one the rise again! In the next few months with the state of the U.S economy, I think it might be the best time to buy a bu that we have seen in a long time!