Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

'88 Skier Restoration

I just discovered this site last month, and after a few weeks of browsing and reading, and a few years of being unable to work on or use a boat, it's good to get back into it again.

I'm starting a major restoration on my '88 Skier, which is in decent shape but has 750 hard hours and has been stored covered outside for the past few years. I'm well aware of the spiraling costs of most boat restorations, and after growing up with this boat, I'd much rather sink 15 or 20 grand into it to make it perfect again rather than spend twice that on a much bigger new boat. Other than tearing down an engine, I can do any of the fiberglass, woodwork, and mechanical work required, although I'm already missing straight woodwork after getting covered in ground fiberglass. The Tyvek suits are on order.

Anyway...

My first and biggest question is about fiberglass. I pulled apart the rudder assembly last weekend and discovered what was either a terrible repair or just poor work from the factory. After grinding out the first layer of glass, I started hitting yellow/orange spots that I'm assuming are water damage. Most notable is the spot next to the stringer in the second picture. The ones around the rudder make sense because of the stress and potential for leakage, but the area next to the stringer has an associated series of cracks in the bottom of the boat. The bottom of the stringer is saturated with water but not rotten. Obviously it's damaged, but what exactly is it called (hydrolysis, osmotic blistering, etc...), and what is recommended to fix it?

The obvious solution to me would be to treat it like rot and grind out to beyond the damaged areas, then rebuild them with larger patches. I don't want to grind all the way through the hull (and can't right now because it's on the trailer). If I work it from the bilge, then get the boat into a garage where I can work the crack in the bottom, is that a decent solution?

Also, is it possible to post pictures to these forums? The only thing I can figure out right now is to link to the pictures in a separate blog. They're posted at leeturcotte.blogspot.com

Thanks.

Sounds like a big job ahead of you. At least you'll know it was done right when you are finished.

To post pictures in the Forums here, you can link to an outside host or you can become a Supporting Member and add pictures right into your postings. There are many more perks to had after becoming a member not the least of which is getting in on the larger Group Buy items, most times saving much more than the membership price.

Good luck and let us watch the progress through your pictures/posts.

Oh, and Welcome.gif

Welcome.gif

Sounds like you've got a lot of work in front of you! Best of luck, you will find this site to be a great source of info. You might start with this thread, as there are a ton of pictures of a full restoration ('87 Sunsetter) for you to look at.

Edited by SunriseH2OSkier