Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Trailer brakes

medicdiver

I just purchased a 2003 Malibu Sportster LX with single axle trailer. Unfortunately the trailer doesn't have brakes on it. All my other trailers(motorcycle, car hauler, camper) have electric brakes. Questions is, can I put electric brakes on a trailer that is going to be submerged? If not what are the best brakes to install on it? Any suggestions of websites to visit for parts? Also, would I be better off upgrading to a tandem trailer like I wanted in the first place, and what would that cost? I am using a 2005 Ford F150 Supercab 4x4, with 5.4L 3V engine as tow vehicle. Just trying to stop from wearing out the trucks brakes.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Late-model F150s have very stout brakes- I've even heard some say that they are stronger brakes than the superduties had before they upgraded them (pre-18" wheels). Add to that, the sporty is a very light boat, and you can probably sneak by without brakes.

You don't want to dunk electric drum brakes in the lake. Period. Full stop. End of story. You could add an electric-over-hydraulic system which uses an electric servo that is activated by your brake control to provide the hydraulic pressure to the brakes. The catch here is that some (many) brake controllers don't play nice with an elec-draulic setup, so you'd have to be sure of that for your control box. You would need the actuator, lines, and brake assemblies, most likely an axle, a breakaway battery and a breakaway switch.

I think a tandem trailer is overkill for a sporty- it's just not heavy enough to warrant it.

As a licienced vehicle inspector any trailer over 2000lb gvw should have brakes. At least thats the way it is in Canada.

I would suggest hydrulic surge. You could have brake fade on a long down grade.

Most sportys didn't have brakes on the trailers around that time.

I may get thrown under the bus here but your tow vehicle is big enough to handle that thing the way it is.

-Chris

Chris, allow me to be the first. . . ;)

Jeremy, you should be aware of the requirements in your state regarding weight and brakes. If your state requires them and you go without, watch out for the lawsuit if you're involved in an accident. As mentioned above, boat trailers use surge brakes and *occasionally* electric/hydraulic.

As for Illinois law, there is no requirements for single axle trailers and under 7,000lbs. I know that cause my step dad is a state trooper here. I was just worried about the trucks brakes. I installed ceramic pads, and drilled rotors in the front the other night to help. What is approx cost on adding surge brakes?? My only thing is on a boat ramp you could apply electric brakes to help stop from rolling in. I have seen EZ loader and a few other trailer companies are building them with electric brakes on them now that are powdercoated and salt water resistant. Just didn't know if anyone had any experience with it.

Thanks for the comments, and let them keep coming.

Jeremy

My only thing is on a boat ramp you could apply electric brakes to help stop from rolling in.

Very unlikely that your Sportster will pull your F-150 4x4 back into the lake, brakes on the trailer or not. Your truck brakes will be fine in that situation. I think what others are referring to is their opinion of whether or not you need to worry about trailer brakes while towing up and down the highway.

Seems like electric brakes on a boat trailer wouldn't be a great idea. Even my "submersible" trailer lights blow out occasionally from being wet.

7000 lbs seems like a lot. That would be only the largest of the wake sport boats. But pretty much any tandem axle trailer with a 3000 lb boat has brakes now days.

I thought that ceramic rotors & drilled rotors were for heat dissipation purposes, especially when hauling or racing. Are you having brake fade issues at the boat ramp?

As a licienced vehicle inspector any trailer over 2000lb gvw should have brakes. At least thats the way it is in Canada.

I would suggest hydrulic surge. You could have brake fade on a long down grade.

I wonder what that would feel like Crazy.gif

I just purchased a 2003 Malibu Sportster LX with single axle trailer. Unfortunately the trailer doesn't have brakes on it. All my other trailers(motorcycle, car hauler, camper) have electric brakes. Questions is, can I put electric brakes on a trailer that is going to be submerged? If not what are the best brakes to install on it? Any suggestions of websites to visit for parts? Also, would I be better off upgrading to a tandem trailer like I wanted in the first place, and what would that cost? I am using a 2005 Ford F150 Supercab 4x4, with 5.4L 3V engine as tow vehicle. Just trying to stop from wearing out the trucks brakes.

Thanks,

Jeremy

That's exactly what I would do, I wouldn't bother trying to add brakes to the trailer you have now. Sell it and buy a good used one with brakes, it may actually cost you less than you think to set it all up but you have to be willing to sit on your trailer for a while if you have the space before it sells.

My only thing is on a boat ramp you could apply electric brakes to help stop from rolling in. I have seen EZ loader and a few other trailer companies are building them with electric brakes on them now that are powdercoated and salt water resistant.

Surge brakes as installed on boat trailers do not engage while backing down the ramp--and yet there aren't too many of us who have dunked the truck. It does happen, but usually due to driver error (or the Wally factor). Besides, if you're using a ramp steep enough to warrant brakes during launch, good luck with the recovery. Shocking.gif If you're thinking of electric brakes for this reason, fahgedabodit.