Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Photo of 23LSV surf wake w/ stock ballast from this weekend

gregtay

Howdy all. We have had our Malibu for about 3 weeks and this past weekend we had our first camping weekend in Eastern Washington. I was really impressed with the surf wake with stock ballast/wedge... I really don't see the need to add addition bags (at least for the level of surfing we do.) We love the new boat!... already up to 27 hours:).

2847997673_9e20375ba0.jpg

2848827132_54f5a8ce3a.jpg

I have a new 23 LSV that ive only got to take out for a quick Saturday Night and all day on sunday....... How many people did you have in the boat at the time of the pics? How are you running the tanks.... I know the presets for Surf L is Full Center and Full Port Rear.... I didnt get a chance to play with mine any so are you filling up the front as well? I couldnt even get close to going ropeless with 2 other people in the boat.... Granted ones a fraternity brother who is all of 160lbs and the 98lb girlfriend.... They dont add much weight...

I have a new 23 LSV that ive only got to take out for a quick Saturday Night and all day on sunday....... How many people did you have in the boat at the time of the pics? How are you running the tanks.... I know the presets for Surf L is Full Center and Full Port Rear.... I didnt get a chance to play with mine any so are you filling up the front as well? I couldnt even get close to going ropeless with 2 other people in the boat.... Granted ones a fraternity brother who is all of 160lbs and the 98lb girlfriend.... They dont add much weight...

We can certainly go ropeless and you can really surf the wake quite a ways back. Certainly not as big as a sacked out enzo240, but i was pretty happy (I really wanted to avoid adding extra sacks and after this weekend i don't see any need to chagne anything.) We had the rear tank (which ever side we were surfing) and the center full, plus about 1/3 full in front. The wedge was all the way down. We had 6-7 people in the boat, so we were sort of cheating the "stock ballast" i suppose, but I don't plan on surfing alone all that often. Play around with your ballast and your wedge... I found small adjustments made big changes to the wake. We found 9.8 MPH worked perfect with out setup.

nice, but when you say the wedge is all the way down do you mean you had it at it's lowest displacement setting? Because the lower the wedge goes the less it will displace... Or do you mean you had it maxed out? i.e. all the way on the 'wake size' gauge?

nice, but when you say the wedge is all the way down do you mean you had it at it's lowest displacement setting? Because the lower the wedge goes the less it will displace... Or do you mean you had it maxed out? i.e. all the way on the 'wake size' gauge?

At it's lowest setting (dial all the way to the lower left.) We found that this provided the most curl and length to the wave. The factory setting is for the wedge to be at "MAX Wake"... but we found the opposite to work best on our boat.

alright that makes sense.. i've been hearing a lot about how the power wedge isn't much use when you get to the upper end of the guage (save for the new 09's). I've only had it at about 20% when i'm out wakeboarding and have yet to try the advanced setting..

alright that makes sense.. i've been hearing a lot about how the power wedge isn't much use when you get to the upper end of the guage (save for the new 09's). I've only had it at about 20% when i'm out wakeboarding and have yet to try the advanced setting..

what did they change for 09?

How would the 09's be different than the 08's regarding the upper end wedge settings?

looks like a Ronix surf rope....I have the same one and it's perfect.

How do you get up on a wake surf board????

Rope: we took an older sectioned ski rope, took the handle and 1-2 sections off the other end, and made our rope. we put it on the rear pylon

To get up, we use 2 different methods,

1. like a wakeskate, on a 10ft rope or so, if the surfer is on the driver side, I get them beside the boat cut the wheel to the right, and "hit it". I stay in the turn until they are up and then head off straight. It brings them right into the wake.

2. for my self and a few others, I place the surfboard on the platform, nose of it almost touching the boat. Then I stand on the front of the board, and hold on to this "short rope" we made. I put my hands on the rear deck, and have the driver get up to speed and setup the wake. Once it is formed, I standup, holding onto the coiled rope, put my front foot in position on the board, and then take my back foot and place it. Add weight to the back foot and it just slowly backs me off the platform. I use the rope until I am in full riding position. Ideally, I would then let go of the rope, but I can't seem to stay going more than 5 seconds without. I might be too big for our board. for my wife it works fine.

She is much better than I am, and she gets up either way depending if she is first getting in or if she is already wet...

Good luck!

I have no idea... But I believe it was in trensters review of his new 09 that he said the wedge compliments the new hull design much better. I remember reading that the wedge would kind of wash out the wake on his 08 but didn't do that on the 09. Like I said before i've never really maxed out the wedge so it'll be interesting to see what the wake characteristics are when i do and i really don't know why that may be the case.

here:

The power wedge also actually works on this VLX. On my 2007,2008 I could wash out the wake if I was anything but all the way down on the wedge. This 2009 gives me full adjustment. I can't speak on the auto-wedge feature as it wasn't working. Probably an easy fix, but I didn't figure it out.
I have no idea... But I believe it was in trensters review of his new 09 that he said the wedge compliments the new hull design much better. I remember reading that the wedge would kind of wash out the wake on his 08 but didn't do that on the 09. Like I said before i've never really maxed out the wedge so it'll be interesting to see what the wake characteristics are when i do and i really don't know why that may be the case.

For VLX maybe that is true.. but for the 23LSV 08 and 09 should be the same.