Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prop Change for a Newbie

First, you are going to need a prop pulling tool. In my experience if you don't have one, forget it. After that, take the cotter pin off and back off the bolt (don't take it all the way off). Put the prop puller on there and be prepared to give it some torque. All of the sudden it will essentially make a "pop" which means the prop has come loose. The reason you don't take the bolt all the way off is so the prop doesn't fall when you pop it off. Then take off bolt and prop. Also, be prepared there is a little key that fits in a slot on the shaft and prop, make sure you don't lose it.

New prop, just line up the key with the shaft and prop, tighten the bolt and put the cotter pin back in.

First, you are going to need a prop pulling tool. In my experience if you don't have one, forget it. After that, take the cotter pin off and back off the bolt (don't take it all the way off). Put the prop puller on there and be prepared to give it some torque. All of the sudden it will essentially make a "pop" which means the prop has come loose. The reason you don't take the bolt all the way off is so the prop doesn't fall when you pop it off. Then take off bolt and prop. Also, be prepared there is a little key that fits in a slot on the shaft and prop, make sure you don't lose it.

New prop, just line up the key with the shaft and prop, tighten the bolt and put the cotter pin back in.

Thank you! That is exactly what I was looking for. I got an Acme 1235 for my WSLSV and I can't wait to try it out.

Read this...

Hey thanks PP. I searched the threads the first time I changed my prop and found basically the same info, it is nice though to have it wrapped up in a single document. I have done it dozens of times on I/O and outboards, but never an inboard. So, even though you can kind of muddle through it and do what seems right, it is awful nice to read an account on how to do it.

One point I would add, is that I used a brass headed hammer to hit the prop puller, not steel.