Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

saskatoon Water Sports?

Dusty14

Anybody ever taken there boat in for warranty work and been told they won't service you? Bought our vtx in edmonton and took into saskatoon for warranty work and winterizing and they said it is malibu's policy to not service the boat because we didn't buy it there. Anybody else ever had this problem? I couldn't believe it when I talked to them.

Anybody ever taken there boat in for warranty work and been told they won't service you? Bought our vtx in edmonton and took into saskatoon for warranty work and winterizing and they said it is malibu's policy to not service the boat because we didn't buy it there. Anybody else ever had this problem? I couldn't believe it when I talked to them.

That's just BS since you didn't buy it there. Malibu doesn't dictate whether or not a dealership can work on your boat.

Ugh. That is bs.

It's hard to believe that they can get away with that. That said, even if Malibu told them they had to do it, would you want to force someone to work on your boat that doesn't want to? No.gif

They told us we would have to pay a Thousand dollar fee to have to boat registered to malibu so they could do the warranty work. The boat they say is only registered with wizard lake marine, so only they can do the warranty work? Something very shady I think?

Would they be able to do non warranty work? It sounds like its a way to keep people from buying from competing dealers. So if I buy my boat in Wisconsin from another dealer, the MN dealer won't fix it.

Is there a warranty transfer fee?? Is that what the $1000 is?

That makes no sense. Most businesses want you in their doors, it creates other sales opportunities.

Is there no $$ in warranty work? Does the shop loose $$ providing that service?

Ya we were shocked when they told us this, I was gonna buy another set of speakers and lights for the boat.......plus we we loved the boat so much we even were thinking of doing a custom order in a couple of years with these guys but i think we will probably go back to Wizard Lake, They seem to appreciate business coming through the doors unlike these guys in Saskatoon, especially when your standing there with your wallet out to buy things....who knew.

I'd just made sure the owner knew what he lost because they just didn't want to work on your boat in a friendly way. While they typically won't put you at the front of people who purchased thier boats with them, you'd think they'd want the business especially w/ such a short season.

Ya and I completely understand that they have to service the customers that bought boats there ahead of us, i'm fine with that. To just say no to anything i felt was just wrong. I don't think Malibu's head office would appreciate this.

Unbelievable short sighted attitude on the part of the dealer. I would send a written letter to Malibu on the issue. We are just as much Malibu's customers as we are customers of the dealer where we purchased our boat. I can assure you that Malibu would want to ensure that their customers are well taken care of no matter where they are.

for the record, what was the warranty work you wanted done?

Is the dealer saying that if i am on holiday in saskatoon (man, that is funny just typing it) and needed warranty work, he wouldn't do it?

I would be contacting Malibu on this for sure.

no offence, just trying to be funny.

whoa, just looked at their website, it would seem they do not need your business, they have a sold sign over an '08 ws vlx and a price showing at $82,000.

Edited by Cervelo

Only people that live in Alberta/Saskatchewan can understand the Labour shortage here. If you only have "X" hours to repair boats they better keep those hours for the people who purchased boats off them. Make employees work over time?....if staff does not want to they will just go work across the street. This is a common case in many businesses in AB/SASK, it keeps owners handcuffed. It is frustrating for the consumer.

hrybis................the OP said the dealer stated they do not do warranty work if the boat was not purchased there. If they did not want to work on the boat due to a labor shortage, they should have said so. That would be easier to understand. Strike one.

They also stated there is a 1K fee to register the warranty. Strike two.

No one from that dealership has signed on here to defend their position or offer a plausible explanation. (I am sure they are aware of this thread by now) Strike three

Edited by skyskier

That's just BS since you didn't buy it there. Malibu doesn't dictate whether or not a dealership can work on your boat.

What he said.

If that is what happened.

Edited by Madmanacrossthewater

I'm not saying the guys at toon town are bad guys, They just told me they won't touch my boat because we bought it at wizard lake marine. Considering they are a MALIBU dealer does this make sense. What if i bought my boat in kewlona got transfered to stoon because of work. They won't service my boat cause i didn't buy it there. I'm not talking about aftermarket stuff here. I paid good money for my boat, love my boat, but were is the service from malibu?

Yeah,

I'm getting sick of hearing stories like this. The boat industry has to step up and treat the customer's more like the car companies do. Where ever you bought it, it should be able to get warranty work done at any dealership. These are $60K boats for Christ's sake.

Yeah,

I'm getting sick of hearing stories like this. The boat industry has to step up and treat the customer's more like the car companies do. Where ever you bought it, it should be able to get warranty work done at any dealership. These are $60K boats for Christ's sake.

The majority of dealers DO work on them with no issues or problems. Granted, if someone is in front of you on the schedule then it may take a little longer. When dealers go away, the rest of the dealer network picks up the slack.

Unfortunately, it's the bad experiences that evolve into a thread.

:)

Its too bad that with all the positive experiences with the boat so far. It sours you a bit on the whole program when you expect Malibu to have all their ducks in a row with regards to this type of issue. In reality......this guy in Saskatoon probably lost a future boat sale or 2 with us as well as others in our area that love the boat over a hour of warranty work because their ego. Its a low rent operation and a regressive way to do business. Believe me...they are NOT that busy where they could not fit in the work in the next 2 months or 5 for that matter.

The OP's experience confirms my (low) opinion of Saskatoon Water Sports. I won't be darkening their doors ever again and that has nothing to do with the OP's experience. I also bought our Malibu from Don Quistberg at Wizard Lake. He's a bandit and he isn't popular with the other dealers but he is a businessman and I respect that. Plus I like his pricing. We've had work done on our boat at both Wizard Lake and at Ron Pfob's Malibu Marine. Ron doesn't seem to have any problem working on "someone else's" boats and I don't mind giving him my money.

I'd file a formal complaint with Malibu and work the warranty claim in with a trip to the West Edmonton Mall. Probably copy the Saskatoon Chamber & BBB on the letter as well.

As far as SWS goes, I wouldn't let them work on my boat on a bet. If I had something that absolutely needed to be done I'd call Bob Porat (Nautique dealer). I'm sure he won't mind doing work on a Malibu but he obviously won't be able to do warranty work.

• 3 weeks later...

It sounds to me like you folks do not care for the Alberta dealer yet you travel that much farther to save very little money in the big picture and support him. Maybe it is the dealer in Alberta's fault for not supporting what they sell! I do not blame the boat and car dealers in Saskatchewan for being upset with other provinces or states for under cutting prices then expecting everyone else to do their warranty crap. When it comes to major body work a boat or car can tie up space for quite sometime. You definitly do not see U.S. cars getting warranty in Canada at the present time; you think boats are different ? Take your boat back to Alberta to the dealer you don't like and suck it up !

Edited by Mr.Loud
It sounds to me like you folks do not care for the Alberta dealer yet you travel that much farther to save very little money in the big picture and support him. Maybe it is the dealer in Alberta's fault for not supporting what they sell! I do not blame the boat and car dealers in Saskatchewan for being upset with other provinces or states for under cutting prices then expecting everyone else to do their warranty crap. When it comes to major body work a boat or car can tie up space for quite sometime. You definitly do not see U.S. cars getting warranty in Canada at the present time; you think boats are different ? Take your boat back to Alberta to the dealer you don't like and suck it up !

Do you work for the dealer mentioned?