Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Issue with new throttle

Anyone else have any more issues with their throttles since the recall/replacement? I was out this weekend and twice my throttle wouldn't engage reverse when I was coming around to pick up a fallen rider. I almost ran into my son. Also on one occasion when I went to nuetral the engine continued to rev at about 3k rpm until I killed it. I have 90 hrs on the boat and this is the first throttle issue since the switch. I will be contacting the dealer today.

I have noticed that a few times it was difficult to get out of neutral. If felt like the button on top wasn't pushed all the way down. After some wiggling I was able to get it to shift. Fortunately, the 2 times this happend to me was just after starting the boat and not from a need to shift from forward to reverse.

what, there's a recall?

more info pls. What year, which models? when was it issued? hull numbers range?

search will help you... "throttle recall"

yours should have had it done before you picked it up.

there should be a recall section on the forum...

This isn't the Mastercraft forum, we don't really need a "section" for recalls.

If your throttle control does not have the button that would allow you to increase rpm's while in neutral, then you have the new throttle control.

Edited by Cervelo
there should be a recall section on the forum...

This isn't the Mastercraft forum, we don't really need a "section" for recalls.

If your throttle control does not have the button that would allow you to increase rpm's while in neutral, then you have the new throttle control.

then I have the new throttle... so how to you rev the engine without having it in gear?

I don't like the new throttle either. With the old one I could pick an RPM to be at like say 800 or 900 rpm and now it won't stay with anything under 1200 rpm which is too fast sometimes. Also when putting the boat into reverse it will rev up and I have to push it to the neutral position to make it rev down to idle. Seems like the spring in the throttle controller is biased to reverse. Since I did my own recall replacement I still have the old one and will probably go do some testing with both and maybe try to rebalance the spring in the new one or maybe just put the old one back on and not use the neutral button.

I don't like the new throttle either. With the old one I could pick an RPM to be at like say 800 or 900 rpm and now it won't stay with anything under 1200 rpm which is too fast sometimes. Also when putting the boat into reverse it will rev up and I have to push it to the neutral position to make it rev down to idle. Seems like the spring in the throttle controller is biased to reverse. Since I did my own recall replacement I still have the old one and will probably go do some testing with both and maybe try to rebalance the spring in the new one or maybe just put the old one back on and not use the neutral button.

I haven't got around to replacing mine yet and with the problems with the new one...not sure if i will. i never use the neutral rev button anyway. is this a bad idea?

That's what I was wondering. Is it a bad idea to keep the old throttle? I think the problems only occur if you use the neutral button and if you don't you probably won't have a problem but it is possibly a risk to do this. This is why on the weekend I am going to go do some switching and testing of the throttles I have to see what exactly happens if I use the neutral button.

I used my neutral button just last weekend. I had a hose clamp that was loose and it was leaking water in the bilge. I tightened it up and used the neutral button to rev the engine to 3000 rpm to make sure it was tight enough under full water pressure. That would have been tougher to check that under way.

I used my neutral button just last weekend. I had a hose clamp that was loose and it was leaking water in the bilge. I tightened it up and used the neutral button to rev the engine to 3000 rpm to make sure it was tight enough under full water pressure. That would have been tougher to check that under way.

I agree totally. It is a handy feature. Not needed with EFI but handy non the less so I want to keep it.

I am assuming that after using this to check your leak you did not have any other issues like the boat not coming out of gear etc. as per the recall info.