Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Board Racks

Levi900RR

I just purchased a 93 Skier Euro F3. Im pretty new to the Malibu sceen and I have a few questions:

Has anyone ever seen a wakeboard / Ski rack that mounts to the Hull? My thought is to have one on each side of the boat up by the windshield. Prefrebily racks that are removable. I dont have a tower (nor do I want one at this point) and I dont like to run the extended pylon all the time.

Also does anyone know the difference between the Skier and the Euro F3?

Thanks

Edited by Levi900RR
I just purchased a 93 Skier Euro F3. Im pretty new to the Malibu sceen and I have a few questions:

Has anyone ever seen a wakeboard / Ski rack that mounts to the Hull? My thought is to have one on each side of the boat up by the windshield. Prefrebily racks that are removable. I dont have a tower (nor do I want one at this point) and I dont like to run the extended pylon all the time.

Thanks

Most racks are made to clamp on the tower tubing, so you may be able to mount something like the rear grab bar, and mount the racks to that (provided you could match tubing diameters).

The Euro F3 package has a different deck and interior package than the 'standard' Skier, but the same hull. Look here: http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=16928 for the 1989 product brochure.

Thanks

Most racks are made to clamp on the tower tubing, so you may be able to mount something like the rear grab bar, and mount the racks to that (provided you could match tubing diameters).

The Euro F3 package has a different deck and interior package than the 'standard' Skier, but the same hull. Look here: <a href="http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=16928" target="_blank">http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=16928</a> for the 1989 product brochure.

Great info on the Euro. That Brochure is GREAT!!! "There's no School like the Old School"... Maybe I can mount some grab bars up front where I want my racks to mount.

Thanks again.

my racks bolt into my IX tower, which would work for you without tubes, but you'd be drilling into your hull, which would make me cringe. It would also make your boat really akward to dock.

your boat though, and those racks would work without tubes.

Edited by SVTHorsnake
my racks bolt into my IX tower, which would work for you without tubes, but you'd be drilling into your hull, which would make me cringe. It would also make your boat really akward to dock.

your boat though, and those racks would work without tubes.

Good point on the Drilling the Hull. Basicily what Im trying to do is create a space to store boards without changing the look of the boat. I dont like to run the extended Pylon all the time and I really dont want to add a tower... Any other ideas?

I'm new to this site, but I think you have something there. Believe it or not there are a lot of folks who want the convienence of board racks without a tower. It depends how much you want to spend, but I'd think about a couple of things. First, I would never drill through the hull below the rub rail, ever, ever, ever, but I would drill into the top deck so you can maybe come up with something that will work that way. Which leads me to the second thought.

It is possible to build a heavy duty bimini frame (I'm talking heavy duty) that doesn't use straps, instead it uses tubing with pull pins, where you could conceivably mount a light-medium duty board rack holding a board/ski or maybe two on each side. Also, it might be possible to integrate the rack into the bimini frame, but that would be even more expensive, because it would have to be specially fabricated.

I bought my boat recently with board racks and decided to get rid of them because they really get in the way. 1. I can't put the cover over them. 2. The tow roap constantly gets caught on them. 3. they don't fold down so when I pull up next to a house boat they hit the side or railing of the houseboat even with thick fenders. 4. The Malibu racks forks are not spaced far enough apart to fit the wake skates and the racks don't work well for skis or knee boards. We ride many types of board and the current batch of Malibu board racks are NOT flexible.

Scott

I'm new to this site, but I think you have something there. Believe it or not there are a lot of folks who want the convienence of board racks without a tower. It depends how much you want to spend, but I'd think about a couple of things. First, I would never drill through the hull below the rub rail, ever, ever, ever, but I would drill into the top deck so you can maybe come up with something that will work that way. Which leads me to the second thought.

It is possible to build a heavy duty bimini frame (I'm talking heavy duty) that doesn't use straps, instead it uses tubing with pull pins, where you could conceivably mount a light-medium duty board rack holding a board/ski or maybe two on each side. Also, it might be possible to integrate the rack into the bimini frame, but that would be even more expensive, because it would have to be specially fabricated.

I bought my boat recently with board racks and decided to get rid of them because they really get in the way. 1. I can't put the cover over them. 2. The tow roap constantly gets caught on them. 3. they don't fold down so when I pull up next to a house boat they hit the side or railing of the houseboat even with thick fenders. 4. The Malibu racks forks are not spaced far enough apart to fit the wake skates and the racks don't work well for skis or knee boards. We ride many types of board and the current batch of Malibu board racks are NOT flexible.

Scott

I agree with everything stated. I think what Im going to do is install some sort of grab handles / rails on the upper side of the hull and mount my racks to those. I am going to have to come up with a quick disconnect for the racks as I do not want to trailer / dock with them on. I will let everyone know what I come up with.

Thanks

Scott

I think they call that a "TOWER" Tongue.gif

Seems like AirBoom used to make a bimini that had a board rack over the top of it. Looks like they don't list it anymore on their site. I imagine it got over loaded too often & collapsed.

I also remember a funky board/ski rack for the side of the boat, sold by the likes of Overtons & Barts. They used suction cops to stick to the boat. I can't imagine they worked very well, especially at speed in bumpy conditions.

Good luck these items. I think your in a diminishing niche here.

Seems like AirBoom used to make a bimini that had a board rack over the top of it. Looks like they don't list it anymore on their site. I imagine it got over loaded too often & collapsed.

I also remember a funky board/ski rack for the side of the boat, sold by the likes of Overtons & Barts. They used suction cops to stick to the boat. I can't imagine they worked very well, especially at speed in bumpy conditions.

I think you may be right... Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get a tower....

Scott

I agree with everything stated. I think what Im going to do is install some sort of grab handles / rails on the upper side of the hull and mount my racks to those. I am going to have to come up with a quick disconnect for the racks as I do not want to trailer / dock with them on. I will let everyone know what I come up with.

Thanks

Hey if you come up with a good quick disconnect let me know. Thanks

Does anyone know what the black platic plates on the side of my Hull are for? Up on the top of the side maybe where a bimini would mount?

Im thinking about using that as an access point to make my Rack mounts...

Post a pic for us. I have a 91 Euro Skier, I may be able to help you identify what those plates are for. It sounds like what my bimini mounts to, but I'll need to see a pic to verify.

• 2 months later...

Here's what you were thinking about....

http://www.liquidcouragewatersports.com/Ho...82/Default.aspx

I've seen these before and they are great for your situation ... I would want it to hook to a cleat vs installing on an eye bolt.

post-371-1227008903.gif

On my last boat I had a pole as my tower and boards all over the place, so i used those grab handles like the ones in the handicap stalls. Then I bought the same diameter racks as the handle and mounted them on the side of the boat. sorry no pix of the boat its been long gone

21EEC3BFMXL._SL500_AA220_.jpg

This is EXACTLY what I was looking for. I will probably install some pop up cleats to hang them off.

Thanks