Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

POS seat. Stepped on it and whamo!

So I have great luck...apparently!

I have a list of warranty items that keeps growing. The latest is the middle rear bench seat. I stepped down off the rear deck and the thing caved in. It looks like the support on the drivers side is off. Looking at it, who thought its a good idea to use a little 8x12 inch board mounted with 2 screws on a 1 inch wide Support??? That thing teeter totters on the seat base like crazy.

I thought the "add the seat suppors and bases" after the hull was made was a bad idea when I was researching these boats. I mean for a 50k boat, "L" brackets to hold things together is a cop out. They ought to mold in the seat bases and supports like the other MFG's.

Other list:

Radio display is off...wont show all letters..ie M1 instead of FM1

Ballast pump doesnt work all the time pumping water out.

Gas guage almost always says full...its not that good on fuel!

Spotters seat base doesnt fit in...have to pound on it to get it down

Factory patched rear seat back

Shaft seal cooling hose came off....fixed with hose clamp vs zip tie.

Bimini top has holes starting in it...not on seams..middle of top!

Cover doesnt fit right, front lifts off on the road....its like they never allowed for bow rails or the new docking lights when the covers were made.

Minor stuff, but annoying nonetheless!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have 276 worry free hours on my vride(knock on wood) and it has been great to me. I guess your only recourse is to beat on the dealer's door a bit. Good luck.

Mold the seat bases in and you'll complain about how the carpet has to many seams.

Make a list, check it twice and let the dealer do their thing on the 20 hour service.

-Chris

Try lifting the back of the spotter seat before you put in the seat base. ( if you are not doing that already) It makes it much easier.

Bimini top.............is it rubbing against something like a speaker or mirror clamp? If so, you can have that area reinforced. A friend of mine had the stress points on his bimini reinforced with the clear plastic the canvas guys use for windows.

Ballast pump.........sometimes I have to push the switch on my 2008 more than once. Make sure it says drain.

Bummer to hear. I haven't had any of those problems on my 3 yr old Vride.

So I'm wondering what is wearing on the bimini that it has a hole in the middle. Something must be touching it & wearing away at it. Speakers? Tower? Rope?

The bottom pad on my spotters seat can slide in so that the top pad doesn't close right. So be sure your lower pad is situated on the base right.

Vride with bow rails?? Mine doesn't have any bow rails. Maybe thats why your cover doesn't fit right.

Get it addressed with your dealer. He should help get the bugs worked out.... it's what he's there for..... and why you bought it new instead of used.

bummer on all your troubles.

did the seat break, or just the teeter and your foot ended up in the engine well?

on mine the supports were off, but it was a simple fix. i just unscrewed the support brackets, moved them and screwed them back in a little closer to the edge of the seat so that it is a tighter fit -- doesn't cave in anymore. i posted up some pics last year or maybe in 06 on this, but can't seem to find the post.

did the seat break, or just the teeter and your foot ended up in the engine well?

on mine the supports were off, but it was a simple fix. i just unscrewed the support brackets, moved them and screwed them back in a little closer to the edge of the seat so that it is a tighter fit -- doesn't cave in anymore. i posted up some pics last year or maybe in 06 on this, but can't seem to find the post.

The seat is fine, its the "support" pieces that teeter. It came off and the seat base collapsed on the right side, and my foot did go into the engine compartment. Mad.gif Ouch!

The bimini has small "pea" size holes....not sure where they are coming from. They are not near seams or rub points, that i can tell.

Bow rails are an option on the vrides, and it looks like they made the covers for ones without and also the old style docking lights. There isnt enough material to come down to the rub rail to lock it in. Dealer told me to put tape on it! LOL Yep, 800 for cover and then I have to use tape! Thats cool.

As for the spotters seat, I have to lift the ski seat, and the back pad, then I have to pull on the seat support to flex it out enough to get those "guides" past it. Its quite the circus.

The seat is fine, its the "support" pieces that teeter. It came off and the seat base collapsed on the right side, and my foot did go into the engine compartment. Mad.gif Ouch!

The bimini has small "pea" size holes....not sure where they are coming from. They are not near seams or rub points, that i can tell.

Bow rails are an option on the vrides, and it looks like they made the covers for ones without and also the old style docking lights. There isnt enough material to come down to the rub rail to lock it in. Dealer told me to put tape on it! LOL Yep, 800 for cover and then I have to use tape! Thats cool.

As for the spotters seat, I have to lift the ski seat, and the back pad, then I have to pull on the seat support to flex it out enough to get those "guides" past it. Its quite the circus.

They are 'seared' around the edges are they? From say a campfire nearby dropping hot ash?

They are 'seared' around the edges are they? From say a campfire nearby dropping hot ash?

Good thought, but no. Havent had it near a campfire yet. Ill post pics after this weekend.

Edited by 2thdoc01

To fit the spotters seat, bust out the cordless drill and just move the little black stops on the bottom. Two screws, 10 minutes and no more aggravation.

The rear seat just needs a couple pieces of starboard screwed to either end. You could even carpet them to make it look real good.

As for the cover, they probably did make the template for a v-ride without bow rails, what kind of cover do you have a great lakes (sumbrella) or a commercial sewing towable cover with the ratchets in the back? I am guessing you have the latter, in which case you may have to talk to malibu about a new cover. The fit on those CS covers are somewhat questionable, over here we've gone back to the sumbrella great lakes ones.

-Chris

To fit the spotters seat, bust out the cordless drill and just move the little black stops on the bottom. Two screws, 10 minutes and no more aggravation. Cool. Ill move them slightly.

The rear seat just needs a couple pieces of starboard screwed to either end. You could even carpet them to make it look real good. Where do I get that from?

As for the cover, they probably did make the template for a v-ride without bow rails, what kind of cover do you have a great lakes (sumbrella) or a commercial sewing towable cover with the ratchets in the back? I am guessing you have the latter, in which case you may have to talk to malibu about a new cover. The fit on those CS covers are somewhat questionable, over here we've gone back to the sumbrella great lakes ones. I do have the CS towable cover.

-Chris

a great lakes (sumbrella). . . back to the sumbrella great lakes ones.

-Chris

It's Sunbrella®, oh knowledgeable one.

doc, I don't have the number handy, but someone here will likely post it up for you. I'm just wondering, albeit without following this whole thing too closely, have you listed the problems and let your dealer have the boat for a few days?

-Chris

doc, I don't have the number handy, but someone here will likely post it up for you. I'm just wondering, albeit without following this whole thing too closely, have you listed the problems and let your dealer have the boat for a few days?

I will add sumbrella to the very long list of words I can not spell....

-Chris

You dont want to get me started on that...... See my stereo thread! They have had it more than I have, put it that way. Tape was the solution to the cover!

Fair enough. I guess your parents don't call you sonny because you're so bright. . .

Ah, hah, hah. Get it? Sonny. . .sunny. . .bright?

Yeah, doc, like I said, I haven't followed the whole thing. Sounds like you may need some help on this one. If you haven't already, it may be helpful to have a log of problems, dates in shop, attempted solution, resolution if any, etc.

Fair enough. I guess your parents don't call you sonny because you're so bright. . .

Ah, hah, hah. Get it? Sonny. . .sunny. . .bright?

Very clever Jack. I am fortunate enough to have spell check in my many endeavors. Sadly for you, they don't make a "brain check" to help you along Tease2.gif

-Chris

Very clever Jack. I am fortunate enough to have spell check in my many endeavors. Sadly for you, they don't make a "brain check" to help you along Tease2.gif

-Chris

Chris - Jack is unable to reply right now...he is holding the flag for some able-bodied skier. ROFL.gif

-Chris

Chris - Jack is unable to reply right now...he is holding the flag for some able-bodied skier. ROFL.gif

Ouch. Tomato.gif

-Chris

Ouch. Tomato.gif

I think you mean double ouch for the double burn.

• 1 month later...

Is the CS cover marketed as a trailerable cover?

I was told that it was, but now since it doesnt stay on the boat, CS and the dealership say "too bad. so sad". I wanted them to refund my money and I would order a custom cover to trailer. What good is a cover if you cant trailer the boat with it????

I feel your pain, I have a 23 LSV and the cover lifts off of the left side bow every time. I have tighten the ratchets so tight I thought I was going to pop the plastic snaps at the tower but it still lifted.

My problem is even worse because I have a black boat and now I have rub marks from where the cover lifted. I enev tried shrink wrap around the whole boats rub rail then put the cover on but no go it still lifts. The wrap did stop the scuffs though.

I must use a cover because we drive down a 20 mile dirt road.