Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

mb boats

malibuboats4

They've had that for at least 2 yrs. I think it's a great idea for fuel conservation. I just wonder how well it really works and how reliable it will be over the long haul.

I don't remember the exact year, but that tranny has been out for at least 4 years, maybe 5 if you figure that the '09s are out. Malibu hulls typically come up on plane pretty easily in comparison. MB's vdrives do not & may benefit more from the extra help.

It is kind of a strange feel when you are back behind the boat when the transmission shifts gears. It works well enough, but not sure that it is necessary.

i drove a boat with this 2 speed and what a pain to drive... you have to pull back on the throttle becasue if you don't it makes this crazy clunk noise like you just ripped your prop off... not a fan at all for the couple times i've spent in MB's

My buddy has a MB B52 with the two speed tranny and the big motor. It takes forever to plain!!! Rode behind it in an INT last year. It took half the course to plain which doesn't give yo much time to knock out 6 tricks. The wake is big but never really cleaned up at the peak, it was always white washy.

Anyway, I will stick with a single tranny and a good hull and motor and reprop if need be, which most do anyway.

weird, because my 08 Tomcat planes very fast when fully weighted (2400lbs). I personally did not opt for the 2 speed though and went with the bigger motor. When I test drove one w/ the 2 speed I felt the same jerk if you didn't come back on the throttle... it definitely takes getting used to. The other thing about my boat that i've noticed and other people have noticed is that the wake is clean at just about any speed. anyway, if anyone is in or around peoria, il or the quad cities i'd be happy to take you for a spin!