Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

should I reprop?

Malibusteve

This summer I've really gotten into wakesurfing. Usual set up is wedge at 12:00, porrt ballast full, center ballast full, 2-4 adults and 2 kids on port side. As the topic description states, I'm running the stock prop on my VTX with the LCR motor. I'm not really unsatisfied with the current hole shot of the current set up, but would a different prop set up make a difference big enough to justify the cost? Anyone running the same motor, set-up as me with a different prop? Does it matter? If so, how will effect my wakeboarding hole shot, wake and top end?

You could however without knowing what you are running now it is hard to say. You could change the pitch a little bit but you will lose top end speed if you do that. Unfortunatly they don't have a prop out there where you have the best of both worlds. You can get really close but you will always have to sacrifice top speed for whole shot or vice versa. More often then not in "ski boats" people want the whole shot and not the top speed. Nobody buys a malibu to fly across the water. That is left for the fountain's and jet boats. What altitude do you run at normally as this has a lot to do with boats performance as well.

Malibu put on a few different props as STOCK and we would need to know what you have. Its going to be a 537, 381 or? As H20 mentioned your going to loose a little top end but in some case's you keep the top speed but the RPM will rise.

If you could, take some readings with a gps unit. What rpm's are you running at wakesurf speed, wakeboarding speed and WOT. This will help us figure out what your base line is.

my boat is currently at the dealer for some service.....when I get it back I'll check and report.....is the prop size/pitch stamped onto the prop somewhere?

prop reads 13.5X16. It's an ACME. Didn't get the actual number as someone was reading off the size to me and I didn't know to tell them to look for the (part) number.

Part #:acme537 Acme - Dia: 13 1/2, Cup: .105

Pitch: 16 Blades: 4 Shaft: 1 1/8 Rotation: LH

Your going to want to pick up a OJ 475 or an ACME 1235

Goose,

Thanks for the input. Will the difference be substantial or we talking subtle incremental adjustments?

I traded out my 537 for a 1235 and it was the best thing I ever did. It brought my top end down a little. I think it is around 45. 45 is fast enough for me. It will plane out w/ ALOT of weight. It will be like night and day compared to that 537.

Goose,

Thanks for the input. Will the difference be substantial or we talking subtle incremental adjustments?

From the 537 to the 475 will be substantial feeling Thumbup.gif I just seen that you have the VTX and will have to go back and look at the ACME specs because I believe the 1235 will hit the rev limiter with your boat.

Goose,

From the 537 to the 475 will be substantial feeling Thumbup.gif I just seen that you have the VTX and will have to go back and look at the ACME specs because I believe the 1235 will hit the rev limiter with your boat.

I also have a 07 with a LCR the 1235 will be fine you shouldnt hit the rev limiter. I have a additional 1850lbs added to my boat so re propping was a must. With 5-6 people it was hard to reach 11.6 with the 537.The people who complain of this are the same group towing down the freeway with boards in there racks. A bu is not a race boat.

I love the acme 1235, I swapped to it from factory 537. Wow what a difference I lost about 3 mph on top In but for the hole shot it's worth It. Not to mention extended amount of run time on a tank of fuel.

so opinions on fuel economy everyone?

We have the oj475 and have noticed that the fuel economy is alot better. We dont spend alot of time just riding around, if we are in the water we are pulling. I have not done the math yet, but I hope to soon.

something that was touched on earlier that I neglected to mention is that I live in SC which is not much above sea level. I'm guessing that the difference in hole shot would be less noticeable for me vs. someone in Denver right?