Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Vibration

Have an 07 VLX, tightened prop and have no play. Still a shake at 1500 to 2500 RPM, as well as the hole shot but no shake at top end. Malibu dealer says it is common as there turbulance from the prop onto the rudder. Why doesn't this happen to all tournament boats? My buddy's 226 Air Nautique is tight as can be. I do have about a 1/4" of vertical play on the rudder so I will try to lift and tighten up that to see if it helps. Any other suggestions? BTW I have searched this on the site, but want to see if other VLX owners are experiencing this too.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

I have an 07 VLX as well. I don't have any vibration in the drive line at any time. If you have a vibration that is as significant as your indicating you may have one of the following issues.

1) Your propeller is damaged. Can be a very minor ding or bend in one of the blades. Although if it is your propeller you would more than likely feel the vibration all through the RPM range.

2) Your prop shaft is bent or misaligned.

3) Your prop shaft bearing is worn or damaged.

The first thing I'd do is take the prop in to get tuned. There might not be any visible damage to the prop, but it could still cause a vibration.

The first thing I'd do is take the prop in to get tuned. There might not be any visible damage to the prop, but it could still cause a vibration.

that would be my guess as well.

Mine vibrates but only when the steering wheel is turned all the way either direction and I give it a little throttle, but not out of the hole. My old dealer did mention that some of the early 06's had steering units replaced because of that. Not sure if that's the case with yours.

My steering wheel also vibrated and my dealer told me this was fairly common and not to worry. I noticed it was more pronounced when there was some weight in the boat, i.e. ballast, a lot of people. Anyway, I ended up buying a new prop. I went from a ACME 537 to a ACME 1235 and walla the vibration went away. Clap.gif

Thanks for the input...I agree, there should not be this much or any vibration....the prop has a minor nick on one blade...looks like it hit the prop guard on the trailer. I would not think that it would throw it out of whack. Maybe I will ride in my friends boat and check it out, as well as pay closer attn to the vibration at higher rpm's.

Dave

...I do have about a 1/4" of vertical play on the rudder...
...the prop has a minor nick on one blade...

:unsure: You have a loose rudder and a damaged prop...and you are experiencing vibration? :unsure: Really? Crazy.gif

Just teasing. :) But either one of those things could cause the vibration on their own. Get them both fixed and I'll bet your vibration magically goes away. Biggrin.gif

...I do have about a 1/4" of vertical play on the rudder...
...the prop has a minor nick on one blade...

:unsure: You have a loose rudder and a damaged prop...and you are experiencing vibration? :unsure: Really? Crazy.gif

Just teasing. :) But either one of those things could cause the vibration on their own. Get them both fixed and I'll bet your vibration magically goes away. Biggrin.gif

YA YA YA...thanks alot :) Will start with rudder....nick in prop is so small, but what do I know. Cost to repair prop??? or new one?? what kind of $$$ would I be looking at? Here's hoping it is just the rudder.

Dave

I have some vibration when surfing or under heavy load and low rpm. 06VLX Hammerhead. I had the prop reworked last season and this didn't seem to change the vibration. I think the engine is missing on a cylinder...so I changed the plugs this week and will get to 'test' on saturday. Prop shaft coupling is tight, boat runs very smooth above 22mph (or about 2400rpm).

Dave

• 2 months later...

I took the prop off and put the boat in the water today. Put the boat in gear and discovered the same amount of vibration at the 1500-2500 rpm range, as I had with the prop on. Mad.gif Same deal....smooth at low and above 3000. I believe it has to be the shaft bearing that is worn. The vibrations would get worse all the way thru the rpm range if it was a bent shaft, wouldn't they?? Dontknow.gif Anyway, I dropped the rudder, and am ready to pull the shaft. Any input on this task will be greatly appreciated. Once the shaft is out I will have it checked at a machine shop. Is the bearing difficult to change?, or is it the shaft removal that will cause the grief.

Dave

It will be the prop. It wont be the shaft. I have had new props with a small vibration, and traded with a buddy who had a small vibration and fixed both boats.

We have fixed some just by removing and reinstalling. Sometimes the dealers will over tighen the prop, and with a keyway on one side this will push the prop out of balance just a small amout. This is why some manufactors have gone to a splined shaft and prop.

I took the prop off and put the boat in the water today. Put the boat in gear and discovered the same amount of vibration at the 1500-2500 rpm range, as I had with the prop on. Mad.gif Same deal....smooth at low and above 3000. I believe it has to be the shaft bearing that is worn. The vibrations would get worse all the way thru the rpm range if it was a bent shaft, wouldn't they?? Dontknow.gif Anyway, I dropped the rudder, and am ready to pull the shaft. Any input on this task will be greatly appreciated. Once the shaft is out I will have it checked at a machine shop. Is the bearing difficult to change?, or is it the shaft removal that will cause the grief.

Dave

isn't that kind of stuff under warranty?

• 5 weeks later...

Finally got around to uncoupling the shaft......found two bolts missing from the coupler. I have had my hands in there previously but must have felt the only two bolts left. Undid it and ran it...smooth as can be. Tested with feeler gauge before recoupling, tight as can be. Put ALL 4 bolts in and ran it again......smooth as can be! Thumbup.gif Has anyone here had one of these bolts loosen off before?? I can't see it happening on its own. Cheap fix and no more stress..........for now.

Dave

• 1 month later...

I have had an issue with vibration and am looking to get my prop straightened/Tuned. I am in Santa Cruz in Cali. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whom I can take it to that will do a good job. Can't wait for a group discount on a new prop.

Cruzhm

Holy cow! Coupler bolts just falling out!? Seems extreme and potentially catastrophic. I wouldn't think this is something that happens, but does anyone know if this is a normal thing to keep an eye out for?

I have had an issue with vibration and am looking to get my prop straightened/Tuned. I am in Santa Cruz in Cali. Does anyone have any recommendations as to whom I can take it to that will do a good job. Can't wait for a group discount on a new prop.

Cruzhm

Contact PistalPete from the board. He live's in your area and can tell you who to see.

Dave

isn't that kind of stuff under warranty?

Plus1.gif Just thinking the same thing Whistling.gif

Finally got around to uncoupling the shaft......found two bolts missing from the coupler. I have had my hands in there previously but must have felt the only two bolts left. Undid it and ran it...smooth as can be. Tested with feeler gauge before recoupling, tight as can be. Put ALL 4 bolts in and ran it again......smooth as can be! Thumbup.gif Has anyone here had one of these bolts loosen off before?? I can't see it happening on its own. Cheap fix and no more stress..........for now.

Dave

I know people that have had those bolts fall out and the last couple break under the pressure. So consider yourself lucky. Just remember to make it a part of your checklist when you're getting ready to take the boat out, to check those bolts.

edit for spelling

Edited by vlxjeff

It sounds like I have the same vibration problem. Can someone post some pics or describe to me where the shaft coupler is on a 2007 23 LSV w/ Monsoon 340 so I can check it on my boat.

Thanks