Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

How would you weight this boat?

arsenuts411

I have an 04 wakesetter and I can't seem to get my wake where I would like it. Seems I have to go fast to get clean wake to wake jump. I am riding at 65 feet and I have the stock bow ballast filled and the wedge down. The wake doesn't seem to be that big. I usually only have a driver and a spotter on the boat so there is not much additional weight. I am thinking my issue is weight and that I need more. Any recommendations would be appreciated on what I can do. I am trying to get wake to wake 360's and I can't seem to clear the wake while doing it. I can clear the wake just jumping. everytime I look at these videos of people doing it they seem like they clear the wake with such ease with all there tricks. I feel like I gotta put so much effort into clearing the wake. I am not sure what the speed I am going since I am not sure if my speedometer is correct rpms I am going about 2400-2500.

I think that I'd figure the speed out first. A little GPS is pretty cheap these days, & a good thing to keep in the boat. Get that dialed in, then go from there in figuring out the wake.

Yeah I know I want to wait till I get the perfect pass installed in my boat should be doing that this winter. My car has the built in dash. I will see if I can borrow one from someone.

Things to remember when adding weight:

Weight in the bow will make the wake rampier & harder

Weight in the tail will make the wake steeper (sometimes adding a lip at the top) & a bit softer (easier to "punch through" the top)

Faster speed will narrow up the wake as well as harden it, vice versa for slowing down.

Line length....the wake will steepen as you go farther back, so picking the right line length will help as well.

A good combination of all of these things & you'll find where you want to be.

I don't have the same boat but it is a DD. what I do when there is only a driver and spotter in the boat is put a 580# bag on both sides of the engine, take out the back seat and put the "seat bottom" bag which is about 650 or so, and another 580 in the bow. and the wedge is always down when riding. the rule of thumb is 60% of the weight in the back and 40% in the front. when we have more people in the boat I just put the back seat back in and fill a smaller bag (either the 440# or the 240# depending on how many people) and keep the rest the same. a buddy of mine is videoin today so ill see if I can get a pic up of the wake. since ours isn't a wake specific hull, that's what we have to do to get a nice wake. and as long as your careful and paying attention, you won't take any rollers or dip the bow. never had any problems doin this at all.

can you walk on these things and sit on these bags without them popping I assume yes since it is strong enough to hold that amount of water?

Do you fill them manually or have them hooked up automatically?

can you walk on these things and sit on these bags without them popping I assume yes since it is strong enough to hold that amount of water?

Do you fill them manually or have them hooked up automatically?

Some are better than others. The Pro X series is particularly tough.

• 2 months later...
I have an 04 wakesetter and I can't seem to get my wake where I would like it. Seems I have to go fast to get clean wake to wake jump. I am riding at 65 feet and I have the stock bow ballast filled and the wedge down. The wake doesn't seem to be that big. I usually only have a driver and a spotter on the boat so there is not much additional weight. I am thinking my issue is weight and that I need more. Any recommendations would be appreciated on what I can do. I am trying to get wake to wake 360's and I can't seem to clear the wake while doing it. I can clear the wake just jumping. everytime I look at these videos of people doing it they seem like they clear the wake with such ease with all there tricks. I feel like I gotta put so much effort into clearing the wake. I am not sure what the speed I am going since I am not sure if my speedometer is correct rpms I am going about 2400-2500.

Why dont you try to edge more

Sounds like your going to slow IMHO. How is your TS w2w? What about your HS FS 180's? At 65ft you should have NO problem clearing the wake for a HS 3. It also sounds like your weight should be just about good, maybe even a bit more bow weight if you getting a washy wake. What also happens when you go too slow is you have a hard time taking a "seated" cut...which is what you want for that HS FS 3. You should be drifting into the wake slowly. If you are going too slow it makes it really hard to accomplish this, requiring you to cut harder, resulting in more line tension and a harder time staying on axis. You should be able to go w2w with a LOT of pop and into the flats with less pop. The poppy w2w cut is what you need to take to learn those 3's.

When I am cutting in for spins its a patience game. I cut out, get set into my "seated" position. and wait. The boat pulls me into the wake. For a long time it felt like was never going to make it w2w with that cut (I ride at 80-85ft...generally, depending on setup). The extra pop from this form is what gets you there, not the speed your generating towards the wake.