Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Damaging your prop

Just wondering how easy it is to damage a prop. I am not even sure what these props are made of I always used stainless steel props on my other boats. I know the lake where i am at very well and was never really worried about hitting bottom. There are sticks in the lake after it rains and sometimes they can not be easily avoided. obviously this depends on the thickness of the stick but sometimes you can hear them hit the bottom of the boat not sure if they make it to the prop but if they were to get hit by the prop how easy do these props ding and bend? I am thinking that you would obviously know when you hit something and do damage from vibration?

Whenever I have bent a prop I knew exactly when I hit something and where I hit it.

1. Hit a big submerged stick that bent 1 blade really good. Very obvious vibration afterwards.

2. Pinged a rock, damaged but no vibration

3. Hit the prop cage with the prop (the cage was bent up eliminating the normal clearance), also very obvious.

I've run over small sticks and stuff with no issue. Usually you hear them hitting the tracking fins.

-Chris

Whenever I have bent a prop I knew exactly when I hit something and where I hit it.

1. Hit a big submerged stick that bent 1 blade really good. Very obvious vibration afterwards.

2. Pinged a rock, damaged but no vibration

3. Hit the prop cage with the prop (the cage was bent up eliminating the normal clearance), also very obvious.

I've run over small sticks and stuff with no issue. Usually you hear them hitting the tracking fins.

-Chris

Thanks Chris for the reply

You can get these props refinished right depending on the damage I assume.

Most inboards come with a prop made of something called "Nibral". No clue what that is other than some mix of alloys that include brass. Stainless steel props are available & are much more rigid. Sort of like putting good low profile tires on a car. A SS prop typically will accelerate out of the hole faster.

But..... the reason inboard manufactures go with a softer alloy like brass or Nibral is so that if & when you do hit something, typically the only thing that is damaged is the prop itself. Most repair jobs on a Nibral prop are maybe $100 - $200. Even a full replacement is under $400. But if you hit something with a SS prop, you run the risk of damaging some other drive components, and a much larger repair bill.

All that said, I ran a 4 blade SS prop on my 94 MC 205 with the 285 hp TBI 350 Chevy for several years. I knew the lake pretty well & never hit anything with it. Performance was good enough that the boat would accelerate from a stop as well as my buddies' 95 MC 205 with the LT1 (310 hp I think?)..... up to about 35 mph. Then he'd run away from me.

Most inboards come with a prop made of something called "Nibral". No clue what that is other than some mix of alloys that include brass.

Nibral props are made of Nickel, Bronze and Aluminum. It's stronger than a bronze prop, but not as strong as a stainless steel one.

Well, I look dumb rts beat me to it!

No... you're just more specific. :)

plus you know he just copied that from google.... Tease2.gif

Well, I look dumb rts beat me to it!

No... you're just more specific. :)

That is a cool way to make a word Thumbup.gif

Well...how about this one:

Pu = Plutonium

B = Boron

Together = PuB = Volatile poison (after a long night there)

Heh, heh. Biggrin.gif

This could go on for days.

Edited by gjsmith73