Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Whats your thoughts on leaving the cover off

How many of you that dock your boat leave your cover off once in a while. I sometimes leave my cover off to dry the boat out if its wet from using it and I know that its not going to rain. Is there any bad effects to doing this once and a while. The way that I look at it is that if you are out on the boat then the cover is off so what is the difference chime in and let me know what you think

Dry boat = Not smelly and moldy boat. It's a good idea.

-Chris

Yeah the only thing that I worry about is the fading of the carpet and seats even though the seats are 90% white. I really wish I had a boat lift with a canopy but i need a house on a lake first before i can think about one of those :)

I always cover my boat overnight and if I am going to be out for the day in case it rains. I do sometimes leave it uncovered to let it dry out. The big issue for me is that there is a big tree over my boat and all kinds of crap falls into it.

Frequently I do cover my boat when it is wet. I find the cover vents it enought that it isn't moldy when I get the cover off.

Ya i usually check the forecast before hand even thought that is never a reliable thing to do and there are no trees around me. The only other thing that I worry about but knock on wood hasn't happened is the birds crapping on the boat.

Plus1.gif
Ya i usually check the forecast before hand even thought that is never a reliable thing to do and there are no trees around me. The only other thing that I worry about but knock on wood hasn't happened is the birds crapping on the boat.

Get a Sunbrella cover. Moisture should not be trapped inside the boat, covered or not.

I leave mine uncovered occasionally too. But not to dry it out. It does that fine when it's covered.

Get a Sunbrella cover. Moisture should not be trapped inside the boat, covered or not.

I leave mine uncovered occasionally too. But not to dry it out. It does that fine when it's covered.

Yeah I think that my cover does a good job letting the moisture out but I think that the sun drys everything pretty dam good

not overnight. but when I'm using it, the boat is at the dock enjoying the sun. I make sure to treat the gelcoat and the vinyl for UV rays. so for the few days a year I leave it unvcovered, it will take a good decade to fade the gel or destroy the seats.

In addition to the weekends, we run up to the lake 3 or 4 times a week after work for a quick ski. We ski and surf for a few hours until dark, and when the boat gets back to the dock it is always soaked. I used to cover it, but we have MAJOR mold issues. The carpet turned completely green one night. I used to leave it uncovered when I knew the weather would be nice and I'd be back the next day, but I really didn’t like it baking in the sun all day. Mid season last year I built a very simple "boat garage" or boat shelter (canopy) out of 4x4 posts, 4 2x4 rafters, and a 20x30 tarp to go over the top. No sides, and only a slight slant to the roof to let the water run off. I LOVE IT. Now I just park the boat under it and dont typically cover the boat at all unless it is supposed to storm bad or I'm gone for more than a few days. We have to pull our docks in and out ever year, and it only takes 3 of us about 2 hours to set the thing up early season, and about 2 hours to take it down at the end of the season. I through-bolted the rafters to the posts, so its easy to assemble. I attached the tarp to the rafters with screws thinking that if a bad wind storm were to come up it would rip the tarp right off instead of wrecking the whole structure and risking it falling on the boat.

It is so convenient to be able to just park the boat under it and not have to cover it every night. Or to be able duck under it during a quick storm, then be the first one back on the lake after. Things stay sheltered, clean, and dry. It also keeps the sun off the boat during the day while you are at the lake, so it saves your upholstery from UV, AND keeps it cool so the ladies don’t burn their butts when they get in. We even put a loop of rope light around the inside of it which lights the inside real well at night. If something like that would be something people are interested in I can snap some pictures. Total cost for the parts from a lumber yard was under 200 bucks.

- Chad

In addition to the weekends, we run up to the lake 3 or 4 times a week after work for a quick ski. We ski and surf for a few hours until dark, and when the boat gets back to the dock it is always soaked. I used to cover it, but we have MAJOR mold issues. The carpet turned completely green one night. I used to leave it uncovered when I knew the weather would be nice and I'd be back the next day, but I really didn’t like it baking in the sun all day. Mid season last year I built a very simple "boat garage" or boat shelter (canopy) out of 4x4 posts, 4 2x4 rafters, and a 20x30 tarp to go over the top. No sides, and only a slight slant to the roof to let the water run off. I LOVE IT. Now I just park the boat under it and dont typically cover the boat at all unless it is supposed to storm bad or I'm gone for more than a few days. We have to pull our docks in and out ever year, and it only takes 3 of us about 2 hours to set the thing up early season, and about 2 hours to take it down at the end of the season. I through-bolted the rafters to the posts, so its easy to assemble. I attached the tarp to the rafters with screws thinking that if a bad wind storm were to come up it would rip the tarp right off instead of wrecking the whole structure and risking it falling on the boat.

It is so convenient to be able to just park the boat under it and not have to cover it every night. Or to be able duck under it during a quick storm, then be the first one back on the lake after. Things stay sheltered, clean, and dry. It also keeps the sun off the boat during the day while you are at the lake, so it saves your upholstery from UV, AND keeps it cool so the ladies don’t burn their butts when they get in. We even put a loop of rope light around the inside of it which lights the inside real well at night. If something like that would be something people are interested in I can snap some pictures. Total cost for the parts from a lumber yard was under 200 bucks.

- Chad

Ya I would be interested in that cause I am the same as you I am out 4 out of 7 days a week usually go for an hour or so a night. But putting the cover on is a PITA everynight that is why I leave it off or just drape it over real fast sometimes.

I leave it uncovered when out at the lake. But then again I have a ton of wetsand paper and a rotary, and have been detailing cars and boats for years. One 3 hour polish at the beginning of every season is a heck of a lot easier than covering and uncovering my boat every morning and evening. I could be drinking...