Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Ballast for direct drive under rear bench?

arsenuts411

My boat has the stock ballast in the front ski locker I am interested this winter to put a additional ballast in either the ski locker in the back which from what I heard is not recommended since the gas tank is under the floor or under the rear seat. I am not sure if other have done this before and what you would recommend as the best option. I am thinking that the under the seat would be best since I would not lose any room or storage. Also I am wondering if it would be wise to put hook this up to the front ballast switch to have both fill at the same time or be on a dedicated acc switch that i have open. Pics and advise would be appreciated if there are any floating around.

My boat has the stock ballast in the front ski locker I am interested this winter to put a additional ballast in either the ski locker in the back which from what I heard is not recommended since the gas tank is under the floor or under the rear seat. I am not sure if other have done this before and what you would recommend as the best option. I am thinking that the under the seat would be best since I would not lose any room or storage. Also I am wondering if it would be wise to put hook this up to the front ballast switch to have both fill at the same time or be on a dedicated acc switch that i have open. Pics and advise would be appreciated if there are any floating around.

After looking at the boat for a while determining my options. The spot under the seat is pretty tight. I am think about doing something with the ski locker in the back. I know that its not recommended because the gas tank is under there is. What if the floor was reinforced would that make it able to put some weight back there without warping the tank

It can/has been done...

Complete with some pictures. Of course I don't know how he got the bottom of his trunk out of there.

Thanks for the link after seeing that and seeing how that was reinforced I am starting to wonder how much reinforcement 1/4 inch steel would help. I guess it really depends on how much weight was on there. I was thinking of doing something similar with maybe angle iron and keep everything off the tank the only thing about that is i wonder how strong that back seat would be to anchor to.

I may have to just go with a fat sac under the seat.

Does anyone know if its bad to drive with the ballast filled. I normally go out take some runs and that is that I don't really ever cruise around so I am not worried about the gas situation.

It can/has been done...

Complete with some pictures. Of course I don't know how he got the bottom of his trunk out of there.

Thanks for the link after seeing that and seeing how that was reinforced I am starting to wonder how much reinforcement 1/4 inch steel would help. I guess it really depends on how much weight was on there. I was thinking of doing something similar with maybe angle iron and keep everything off the tank the only thing about that is i wonder how strong that back seat would be to anchor to.

Does anyone know if its bad to drive with the ballast filled. I normally go out take some runs and that is that I don't really ever cruise around so I am not worried about the gas situation.

Isn't the 04 wakesetter based on the LX hull and not the LXI hull? I thought the gas tank was behind the seat vs under the trunk floor?

Edited by Brodie
It can/has been done...

Isn't the 04 wakesetter based on the LX hull and not the LXI hull? I thought the gas tank was behind the seat vs under the trunk floor?

I am not sure I just bought the boat and don't have much information on what hull that it is suppose to be resemble. As far as I know I that this boat has the SV23 Wake. I never could find much information on this specific model.

It can/has been done...

I am not sure I just bought the boat and don't have much information on what hull that it is suppose to be resemble. As far as I know I that this boat has the SV23 Wake. I never could find much information on this specific model.

I am pretty sure that the wakesetter (SV23) wake hull has a different gas tank location than the LXI, and IIRC it is between the trunk and the rear seat back, and therefore not an issue for having a sac in the rear trunk. ICBW

Edited by Brodie
Yes it has the wake hull, but in '04 the tank is under the rear trunk. They changed it in '05 when it became the I-Ride.

Plus1.gif I believe his hull is the same as mine and the tank is under the rear trunk area.

yeah after looking at it yesterday the tank can only be in the back truck there is no other room for it anywhere else back there.