Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Sign in to follow this  
95echelon

95 Echelon WakeSurfing - Should I Bother?

95echelon

We brought a 95 echelon back to life that was bought new by my father. I am now stuck on an extremely busy lake (in laws lake place, ours is 600mi away), bad for wakeboarding.

So we have the Echelon LX (open Bow), is it worth trying to set this thing up for wakesurfing? It has a manual wedge and the 350 MPI EFI, 260 HP. I saw a L shaped flyhigh sac, and maybe a ski locker sac or something. Woould that be enough? What kind of board would a 220 lb guy need? Also what height of wake should i expect and will my neighbors at the lake try to kill me?

At the lake now on the cell modem, but I will watch for replies, thanks!

UWSkier

While you can't load up tons and tons of ballast in an Echelon due to the relatively low freeboard, you should be able to get a pretty decent surf wake out of that hull. It won't be great, but it should be plenty surfable on a longer board. I would think the locker sack and the L shaped sack would get you a decent starting point with the wedge down. How much weight does the L shaped sack hold?

95echelon
While you can't load up tons and tons of ballast in an Echelon due to the relatively low freeboard, you should be able to get a pretty decent surf wake out of that hull. It won't be great, but it should be plenty surfable on a longer board. I would think the locker sack and the L shaped sack would get you a decent starting point with the wedge down. How much weight does the L shaped sack hold?

L sack is 1000 LBS and i am thinking 5.5foot board. For wake surfing you want one side weighted more than the other i assume? What is a freeboard BTW? And how much weight on top of the 1000LBS should i shoot for and where should i put it? Sorry complete newbie here. Maybe after i learn the ropes i can make a post about repurposing an old inboard for wakesurfing to help out guys like me.

Also, my pops dropped by The Edge (local dealer) and they said they had a new prop that would work better than the brass 3 blade michigan we have now. I assume i should shoot for lower pitch for wakesurfing (maybe only one step down).

Thanks!!!!

JasonK

We surf my Euro and it's fun. I can surf it ropeless with just a few people, I'm 150 lbs., riding a 5'6" landlock. It gets a lot better with 7 people, 2 full coolers on the swim platform, and ballast bags/containers along the surf side. We move people around as needed. With a lot of ballast we need 3 people up front.

Freeboard is the sides of the boat. Our boats are shallow and have low freeboard.

Sorry i can't help with actual weight figures. I have 2 lounge seat sacs, but we've only used one so far (need fittings for the other) and I don't know the weight of it or the coolers/people/other ballast.

When we first got the surfboard we filled up 2 garbage cans and coolers. Yes, we are ghetto!

When we stop, water sometimes comes over the stern. The driver has got to be good with all that weight!