Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Oil changes

Was wondering how many hours you recommend in between oil changes? I used to do it every season with my other boat I was never sure about the hours on it since it didn't have a hour meter on the dash. Also is there anywhere that I can find a maintenance schedule for an 04 wakesetter?

50 hours

www.indmar.com

Thanks for the quick reply 50 hours that is not that many hours the way I use the boat. Is this something that you can do yourself or should you have the dealer do it. Again first inboard boat I have always owned I/O's so I am not sure how different it is.

Its very easy to do yourself. I had a friend of mine teach me, and I'm not the most mechanically inclined person. Get yourself an Oil Buddy or other oil extractor so you can pull the oil from the dipstick and not out the back of the boat thru the drain hose. The hardest part is not spilling the oil when you change the oil filter. I'm contemplating a remote oil filter mount for that reason.

If you have a good report w/ your dealer, you could always pay for the first one and ask them to educate you on how its done.

Just did mine for the first time last weekend.

I ran the bottom hose out through the bilge plug near the v-drive. You will need to remember that the oil caps on these engines are o-ring sealed so they will prevent the oil from draining until they are removed.

Regarding the oil filter - someone on the Crew gave me a GREAT approach. I put a rag under the oil filter, loostened the filter with a wrench, put a 1 gallon zip lock around the filter and then spun the filter off. Almost all of the "dripping" oil went into the bag.

I put in Shell Rotella-T oil and a NAPA Gold 1069 filter.

I ran the bottom hose out through the bilge plug near the v-drive. You will need to remember that the oil caps on these engines are o-ring sealed so they will prevent the oil from draining until they are removed.

Regarding the oil filter - someone on the Crew gave me a GREAT approach. I put a rag under the oil filter, loostened the filter with a wrench, put a 1 gallon zip lock around the filter and then spun the filter off. Almost all of the "dripping" oil went into the bag.

Ya that is my biggest worry the filter dripping rather then the oil getting in the bilge from pumping it out. I like your idea with the zip lock bag. The only thing that I would do is maybe put some plastic drop cloth so if any spills it won't get in the bilge compartment. On another boat that i owned it was bad everytime I emptied the bilge it would pour a little oil out don't want that happening again. What did you use to get the oil out of the engine?

.......... Oil Buddy or other oil extractor so you can pull the oil from the dipstick and not out the back of the boat thru the drain hose.

I never understood why anyone would use these if you keep your boat on the trailer (only makes sense to me to use on boats that are kept on the water). It's way too easy to just open the drain hose & push it thru the bilge drain hole & drain it right into a container sitting in my driveway. It just seems like you'd get more of the old oil (and whatever else) out by draining it rather than sucking it out.

I do run the motor for a few minutes to thin down the oil viscosity. And open the oil filler cap.

I usually use a grocery bag to get the oil filter & don't have too much problem spilling oil & then wiping it up. The zip lock is a great idea to help that out.

I just ran the hose out the bottom of the bilge and drained it.

However, someone I was speaking with suggested that I could use an "oil buddy" but suck the oil out through the drain hose so that I really get it all from the true bottom of the pan.

I just ran the hose out the bottom of the bilge and drained it.

However, someone I was speaking with suggested that I could use an "oil buddy" but suck the oil out through the drain hose so that I really get it all from the true bottom of the pan.

Oh i see there is a hole on the bottom of the bilge I am learning all this stuff still a inboard newbie

You should have a plug back by the rudder in the transom. And a T handle plug under the floor just to the left of the driver's seat.

The only reason I pull the transom plug is to drain the oil.

You should have a plug back by the rudder in the transom. And a T handle plug under the floor just to the left of the driver's seat.

Bill,

Which plug location do you use?

Are you talking about the plug located on the back outside of the transom, just below the swim deck? Or do you drain it threw the one located inside with the T handle?

Shawn

Bill,

Which plug location do you use?

Are you talking about the plug located on the back outside of the transom, just below the swim deck? Or do you drain it threw the one located inside with the T handle?

Shawn

Hes talking about the one located inside right under the tranny unit!!

HOLY CRAP what a great idea!! That thought never came to me, I've been cleaning up little oil stains all season. thank you