Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Diamond vs Wake hull on 2008 VLX

Want2Ride

So we found a good deal on a new VLX, it is fully loaded and pretty good colors. The only issue is that it has the diamond hull. This is an issue because we are 100% wakeboard, surf and skate so the wake hull would be preferable. My question is, how much worse is the wakeboard wake of the diamond hull to the wakeboard hull and in what ways? Also, if you were in the position, would this be a deal breaker or not and why? Thanks for the input.

Just my opinion....

Buy what you want, don't compromise on something like that. If you do, you will always second guess that decision. If I were in that position, it would be a deal breaker. Others may disagree, but if you don't ski at all then there's absolutely no reason to have a diamond hull.

Good deals are ready to be had everywhere right now, don't invest yourself in a boat in that way.

So we found a good deal on a new VLX, it is fully loaded and pretty good colors. The only issue is that it has the diamond hull. This is an issue because we are 100% wakeboard, surf and skate so the wake hull would be preferable. My question is, how much worse is the wakeboard wake of the diamond hull to the wakeboard hull and in what ways? Also, if you were in the position, would this be a deal breaker or not and why? Thanks for the input.

There was a post here just a few days ago about how much of a ( big ) difference there is, I mostly ski and have no hand on experience. here is a link to that

http://www.themalibucrew.com/forums/index....showtopic=16117

Hope this helps.

BB

My guess is it probably wouldn't matter that much unless you are a pro level wakeboarder but I also agree with Wakegirl. Get what you really want. I am sure you can find a good deal around right now on the boat you really want. You don't want to spend all that money then be thinking I wonder if I should have gotten the wake hull.

I'm no pro, I have a few inverts, ride switch equal to regular and can do 180s from any direction switch or regular (not backside just yet) I have a toe 3 as well. I rode both the wake and diamond on an '06 VLX. We had the diamond for about a month and there is a HUGE difference. I'm sick of people that have no experience with both giving advise on this and saying only a pro would notice. They're full of crap and don't know what they're talking about.

We loaded our diamond (full stock MLS with front) and then additional 400 in the nose and 600 in each locker. We tried every variation with and without the wedge and had what we thought was as good as it got in that boat. We then launched the wake hull with stock only and no wedge and it was equal to what we got with a heavily loaded diamond. Now we run with extra in the nose and the trunks and there's no comparison. That diamond hull is much less of a wake machine, don't settle on it.

The only reason I can see getting a diamond is if someone in your crew that you care about having a great time, is a course skier. And then, only that you care that they have a great wake.

Always test drive if you can. Things to look for when surfing. Notice what color the wake is from the bottom of the wave to the crest. You want to see the wave have the same color as the water all the way through the wave. No white water, that means air which is soft not good for bouyancy or drive while surfing. Same thing when wakeboarding. You don't want to see a white washed out wave. The diamond hull causes lift defeating the purpose of ballast. If you use enough, it might be okay for wakeboarding, but watch for white washout at crest of wake at the distance you normally board at. For surfing, eventhough you are going slow and the diamond hull doesn't do much to lift the boat, the downward angled edge makes it harder to list the boat. Listing cleans up the face of the wake and also helps to get the wake to form a lip (no curl, wake flows back to the opposite side you are surfing)The other problem with a diamond hull is when you do list the boat the edge of the boat (the diamond) creates a secondary lip ,not quite half way up the wake. This secondary lip is small, but it is enough to slow the board down and make 360's that much harder to come around, and not a great place to land after gettig some air. It is like hitting a banana peel or pearling the nose of the board. Diamond is good for a crossover between ski and wakeboard, but not much advantage if your wakeboard and surfing.