Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Water in Gas Vent while Wakesurfing

I have a 2000 Response LX and when I was wakesurfing last weekend I got water in the fuel tank. I had the wedge down and 780 lbs of fat sack in the back right of the boat. The side was sunk down so that when I was wakesurfing, the water was flowing over the Gas Vent.

The mechanic ended up pulling a gallon of water out of the tank with no harm done to the engine.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening? Any suggestions, other than switching to regular stance?

You can loosen the vent, and turn it so it points more twards the back of the boat - water will flow by then, instead of been scooped up

I've never heard of that but have wondered about it.

Its a wonder I have any room for gas with as often as our vent gets water over it.

I haven't noticed any perfromance issues so assume no water in the gas.

SacRiverRat, thanks for the advice, I think that will solve the problem.

In regards to duct taping the vent, I was told that air needs to be able to flow into this vent, if not the fuel pressure will suffer.

The thing that is so mystifying with this problem is that my friend has the exact same boat, we run it exactly the same (with water running over the vent) and his has run fine.

Just switch the weight to the other side...That's the first time I've heard that happen.

I can't believe it took so long for someone to suggest this.

Surf on the other side. Shocking.gif

Just switch the weight to the other side...That's the first time I've heard that happen.

I can't believe it took so long for someone to suggest this.

Surf on the other side. Shocking.gif

Depends on whether you're goofy or regular & if you like to go heel or toe side to the wake. We were out surfing on our boat yesterday & had the rear driver's side corner heavily weighted, & when we went over rollers the vent definitely got covered. I think Troy's recommendation is a good one for those that like to surf that side of the boat.

For surfing only, couldn't you take a piece of tubing that fits tightly on the vent and let it stick up in the air? I mean some soft vinyl tubing, like about a foot long. Kind of act like a snorkel.

The freeboard is much higher on the '04 and newer XTi, VLX and LSV and so also is the gas vent.

Seems like it would be really hard to get water in it much less sink it.

Cuz like I said we ballast fairly aggressively on my '03 LSV and have never had an issue.

I replaced my vent with one that had a splash guard. I think I'm still getting a little bit of water in my fuel. I'm thinking of relocating it. Mines low, at the middle of the transom. It gets hit with water every time we stop if we're ballasted.

we just don't surf on that side. :) we have found that with 600lbs on the starboard side and wedgw we get a very surfable[no rope] wake. i just bought a new pro-x seat sac so that will require some more tuning. it should be really bg now :o