Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Surfing w/2003 23LSV

MN_LSV

I'm hoping the new 2009 Vride 23ft. is at least 100" beam like yours, just in the wake hull, if it is I might trade in my 21' Vride for it.

Wakesurfing 2004 lsv diamond hull

Ok I am FAR from an expert here. I am just learning too. I have a 2004 lsv diamond hull also, and I am a goofy foot. We are running very similar ballast. I see you don't have a wedge. Could that be the problem? I have forgot to put down and I could tell immediately something was wrong. Look at the wave mine is putting out. I am also running at 10.5 mph.

Edited by DC-STRO

DC-STRO.

Your link brings me to the photobucket homepage. I was having that problem when posting my video.

More good info. I think we are going out tomorrow night to check it out. We should have no problem staying in 25 ft of water in the lake we are going to.

I was planning on trying to get both the 540 bag and a 440 bag in the surfside locker and fill the 440 as much as possible.

The other 540 fits perfectly on the starboard seat behind the driver, that is where we plan to put it, I guess I put rear seat by mistake.

We have the stock 300 MLS on the port side if we want to mess around and see if that helps sink the boat. We have the 8.1L 425hp engine, so I think we have some additional rear weight with the bigger engine.

We have a 4 blade prop.

All but one of our normal crew ride on the "darkside" (and he hasn't tried surfing yet), so I guess we will see how we do on the starboard setup.

If you have stock 300 on starboard rear locker then the 540 on top should be enough (840). Two options for the remaining 440 1.) put on floor on surf side. OR 2.) fill and put on top of sundeck with a little bit hanging over gunnel on surfside, you will need to strap it to the ski pylon at the front of sack and the back part of sack strap to the center stern tow handle that will help with listing the boat. Try the floor first, the sundeck option might be to much weight at the rear of the boat. I'm not sure because I've never weighted a Diamond hull, but most say you need addtl. weight to counter the lift from that hull design. But, stock(300) plus 540+440 all in the back locker is way too much. Plus you will never be able to fill the 440 much, so the floor is the better option because you can fill it full and it gives the boat a lower center of gravity. It just doesn't help as much with listing the boat. The 247 uses just 750 in rear locker, 750 on surfside seat or two 400's , 500 mid MLS, bow 300 stock and 750 bow surfside seat. Total around 3000 and she is good to go.

What do you think about trying to put the 440 under the starboard seat behind the driver (under the 540 on the seat)? Not sure if we would be able to fill the entire 440 though.

DC-STRO.

Your link brings me to the photobucket homepage. I was having that problem when posting my video.

Yeah I see that now. It keeps changing. Here is a pic.

Wakeboardboat205.jpg

More good info. I think we are going out tomorrow night to check it out. We should have no problem staying in 25 ft of water in the lake we are going to.

I was planning on trying to get both the 540 bag and a 440 bag in the surfside locker and fill the 440 as much as possible.

The other 540 fits perfectly on the starboard seat behind the driver, that is where we plan to put it, I guess I put rear seat by mistake.

We have the stock 300 MLS on the port side if we want to mess around and see if that helps sink the boat. We have the 8.1L 425hp engine, so I think we have some additional rear weight with the bigger engine.

We have a 4 blade prop.

All but one of our normal crew ride on the "darkside" (and he hasn't tried surfing yet), so I guess we will see how we do on the starboard setup.

If you have stock 300 on starboard rear locker then the 540 on top should be enough (840). Two options for the remaining 440 1.) put on floor on surf side. OR 2.) fill and put on top of sundeck with a little bit hanging over gunnel on surfside, you will need to strap it to the ski pylon at the front of sack and the back part of sack strap to the center stern tow handle that will help with listing the boat. Try the floor first, the sundeck option might be to much weight at the rear of the boat. I'm not sure because I've never weighted a Diamond hull, but most say you need addtl. weight to counter the lift from that hull design. But, stock(300) plus 540+440 all in the back locker is way too much. Plus you will never be able to fill the 440 much, so the floor is the better option because you can fill it full and it gives the boat a lower center of gravity. It just doesn't help as much with listing the boat. The 247 uses just 750 in rear locker, 750 on surfside seat or two 400's , 500 mid MLS, bow 300 stock and 750 bow surfside seat. Total around 3000 and she is good to go.

What do you think about trying to put the 440 under the starboard seat behind the driver (under the 540 on the seat)? Not sure if we would be able to fill the entire 440 though.

Nice wave!

I think we may actually have different hulls. According to the charts on the Tech/DIY section of the site, the 2003 is th V25 Diamond hull and the 2004 is the V25 Wake hull. Hopefully we can get the Diamond hull to preform close to the Wake hull.

Nice wave!

I think we may actually have different hulls. According to the charts on the Tech/DIY section of the site, the 2003 is th V25 Diamond hull and the 2004 is the V25 Wake hull. Hopefully we can get the Diamond hull to preform close to the Wake hull.

Wakeboardboat063.jpg

Mine is the Diamond. Both were avaiable.

Nice wave!

Wakeboardboat063.jpg

Mine is the Diamond. Both were avaiable.

How can you tell what is the diamond and what is the wake?

Nice wave!

Wakeboardboat063.jpg

Mine is the Diamond. Both were available.

vlx.jpg

Look at the corners. This is the wake hull.

I dont know what hull I have. Is this wake or diamond?

post-5306-1215724419_thumb.jpg

based off of the above pics, i would guess it is Diamond.

Edited by txwakejunkie

DC-STRO,

I think ours our different. I just looked at the picture you posted of a side view that was under your post "pulling to the right". Your back end looks flatter, and ours tapers/steps in below the swim platform. Maybe that is a difference between a 2003 and 2004 daimand hull??

http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/tjw...t=1566459_2.jpg

Edited by MN_LSV
DC-STRO,

I think ours our different. I just looked at the picture you posted of a side view that was under your post "pulling to the right". Your back end looks flatter, and ours tapers/steps in below the swim platform. Maybe that is a difference between a 2003 and 2004 daimand hull??

<a href="http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/tjw...t=1566459_2.jpg" target="_blank">http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a322/tjw...t=1566459_2.jpg</a>

I can't see the pic. Somewhere there is a thread showing the difference between the hulls with pictures. I'm waiting for someone who knows more about hull identification to chime in. I always thought you could tell by the rear corners.

I dont know what hull I have. Is this wake or diamond?

post-5306-1215724419_thumb.jpg

based off of the above pics, i would guess it is Diamond.

Looks more like a diamond than a wake to me. Could someone post a pic of a 23lsv wake hull?

Nice wave!

Wakeboardboat063.jpg

Mine is the Diamond. Both were available.

vlx.jpg

Look at the corners. This is the wake hull.

If I remember correctly, the Diamond hull has a deeper hook and a slightly greater downward angle. Kind of like what MC has on the stern of their Prostar 197. It creates a channel of water to be forced downward, in turn lifting the sides of the hull. The diamond I believe runs longer also up the sides of the boat then the Wake hull. In the picture of the VLX you can see the step down on each side, this takes away surface space that contacts the water allowing it to sink easier. The wake hull also has a small hook, but it is narrower and the downward angle is not as pronounced. This of course is all done by feel rather than engineering specs.

Ok, after a week of mishaps (wrecked a prop at the landing, ripped a ballast bag, broken pump and two flat tires on the trailer) and windy weather, we finally made it out last night to test out everyones weighting recommendations.

Loaded as follows

300 rear MLS surfside

750 rear locker

440 side seat behind driver

500 mid MLS ski locker

540 bow along surfside

440 bow-center

230lb driver

Wedge down

No VAB

20 ft water

Driving straight

We got a decent long wave, and 180lb rider on 2008 Oogle was able to go ropeless.

I think if we had the other 540 bag that ripped, or some VAB it would have even been better.

Didn't get any pictures, but there is always next time.

Thanks all for the help on getting us ropeless!

Edited by MN_LSV
Ok, after a week of mishaps (wrecked a prop at the landing, ripped a ballast bag, broken pump and two flat tires on the trailer) and windy weather, we finally made it out last night to test out everyones weighting recommendations.

Loaded as follows

300 rear MLS surfside

750 rear locker

500 mid MLS ski locker

540 bow along surfside

440 bow-center

230lb driver

Wedge down

No VAB

20 ft water

Driving straight

We got a decent long wave, and 180lb rider on 2008 Oogle was able to go ropeless.

I think if we had the other 540 bag that ripped, or some VAB it would have even been better.

Great to hear. Ropeless is the best feeling. Thumbup.gif Now wait till you do your first lipslide and your first 360, and your first air. It only gets better.That 540 on the floor (surfside ) probably would have been the max. Go out and get good on the Oogle, then try a custom TWP Bullet (surf style) so you can really rip it up. You'll be amazed at the amount of drive a surf style board has. At my age and weight skim style is too much work (squatting all the time). Started with a hybrid (surf and skim) The Walker Project Comp X 5.0 and now going to the Bullet (full surf style). My new Bullet should be here next weekend. Can't wait. Yahoo.gif

Loaded as follows

300 rear MLS surfside

750 rear locker

500 mid MLS ski locker

540 bow along surfside

440 bow-center

230lb driver

Wedge down

No VAB

20 ft water

Driving straight

Great to hear. Ropeless is the best feeling. Thumbup.gif Now wait till you do your first lipslide and your first 360, and your first air. It only gets better.That 540 on the floor (surfside ) probably would have been the max. Go out and get good on the Oogle, then try a custom TWP Bullet (surf style) so you can really rip it up. You'll be amazed at the amount of drive a surf style board has. At my age and weight skim style is too much work (squatting all the time). Started with a hybrid (surf and skim) The Walker Project Comp X 5.0 and now going to the Bullet (full surf style). My new Bullet should be here next weekend. Can't wait. Yahoo.gif

The only other board we have tried was the 5'6 Liquid Force Venture, which is a surf style. It seemed really slow after being on the Oogle. But with the multiple fins, it is a good stable board to teach people to get up with.

Can't wait to get out again and start picking up on the skills!

The first time our friend tried ropeless with this setup, he started out in the lower pocket behind the platform, he started drifting back on the wake. He was all upset that he had lost it and swearing getting ready to sink. Then I told him he was still in the pocket and he looked down to see that he still riding it at the top of the wave, near the curl. He leaned forward, started tying some turns and yelled, "hey, I'm really surfing"! It was too funny.

Yea, the LF venture is BIG and SLOW. I'll have to get some pixs and vid on the new board next weekend. The art on the board is supposed to be insane. My design and TWP artistry. Once you see it I know you'll love it. The theme kind of clicks with our kind of riders. The specs are 4'9" just under 2" thick,2.75" nose rocker and just under 1" tail rocker with a widest width at about 22". All carbon fiber and epoxy weighing around 3.5lbs. It will be SUPER fast and Bullet proof. That is why it is called the TWP Bullet.

Yea, the LF venture is BIG and SLOW. I'll have to get some pixs and vid on the new board next weekend. The art on the board is supposed to be insane. My design and TWP artistry. Once you see it I know you'll love it. The theme kind of clicks with our kind of riders. The specs are 4'9" just under 2" thick,2.75" nose rocker and just under 1" tail rocker with a widest width at about 22". All carbon fiber and epoxy weighing around 3.5lbs. It will be SUPER fast and Bullet proof. That is why it is called the TWP Bullet.

Where is the best place to research all the different board companies? I notice there are a lot of companies I've never heard of.

Where is the best place to research all the different board companies? I notice there are a lot of companies I've never heard of.

www.wakeoutlaws.com