Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Wedge Bolts

While at the dealer yesterday, I asked if it was normal that the 4 bolts that hold the wedge on were rusting.

He said that they shouldn't be and Malibu knows about it as a problem and at some point they will need to be replaced, maybe along with the carpet (previous thread).

He said there wasn't a concern about them breaking and consequential damages to the wedge, boat and rider.

Does this sound right and has anyone else dealt with this?

Greg

Edited by Greg_S

If they're rusting now, make them replace them. It's ridiculous to me that they would suggest waiting for it to break when they know about the problem & they're already rusting. Make them replace them now.

Edited by WakeGirl

My 2005 Sunscape is at the dealer right now for the same problem. The bolts started rusting immediately and last weekend they broke. It appears Malibu sent a new type of bolt....hopefully it will be stronger and rust proof.

Edit - I agree with Wakegirl, get them replaced immediately.

Edited by FijiRob

I know several 05 VLX's, LSV's in this area have been breaking wedges recently. As a matter of fact, one brand new VLX has gone through 2 wedges in 9 weeks. I had the same problem last week on my 04 VLX

Per a Malibu dealer - a guy in one of the plants was using the old phrase "more is better" and really putting the torque wrench to the bolts on the foil of the wedge, this caused undo stress on the bolts and therefore they were breaking easily

Supposedly, this guy is no longer with Malibu, they have solved the problem, and made modifications to the wedge

Keep in mind, This is all hearsay from a dealer

I have the new bolts Rob speaks of. As you know my Wedge broke a while back and this is my 2nd set of bolts. As of this morning, (they've been in water) they are not rusting.

My first set on this second Wedge were the "new" bolts too - so we'll see how long these last.

Had a wedge put on my boat at the factory at the end of last summer. Bolts strated rusting immediately. When I had it in to the dealer for service a couple weeks later, I pointed it out. Malibu was not really gonna do anything til my service mgr. Brian insisted it be fixed. They replaced the entire foil.

The new bolts have the phillips head, the bad ones had some sort of hex head.

Edited by Web

That's what I have read. The first set of replacements were hex, my second set is hex. This is my second wedge and 3rd set of bolts - never getting the phillips. My service manager explained that they are all the same stainless bolts and it doesn't matter. We'll see how these hold up!

I wonder if it is up to dealer location that determines the bolts shipped out.

While at the dealer yesterday, I asked if it was normal that the 4 bolts that hold the wedge on were rusting.

He said that they shouldn't be and Malibu knows about it as a problem and at some point they will need to be replaced, maybe along with the carpet (previous thread).

He said there wasn't a concern about them breaking and consequential damages to the wedge, boat and rider.

Does this sound right and has anyone else dealt with this?

Greg

That's what mine looked after 5 days...

rustedbolts.jpg

Dealer replaced it with SS-bolts.

The "rust-bleeding" was easy to remove with a mild polish.

Those don't even look like SS bolts. The color is to bright. SS looks more of a pewter color.

I called my salesperson to help me out with getting them replaced today so I don't have to make a return trip. We'll see what happens. He told me that they had a batch of non SS bolts installed.

Greg

What I'm told from Merced is that they have 8380 SS bolts they can send out. I spoke with the service manager and he said that's all fine, but they have had a problem with them breaking. He said I would be better off with what I have until they figure their problem out.

Who do you believe?

Could it be that they have a problem with their SS bolts breaking and this rusting ones are safer for now. until they get something that works, than the SS ones?

Edited by Greg_S