Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Site slowdown

WakeGirl

Thanks for the update, I have noticed some intermittent bugs already.

Right now it won't let me edit my old posts, go figure. I'm going to try signing in again and see if that does it.

Weird, I can edit this post but not posts from earlier beginning with this morning and back.

Edited by whiteVLX
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• whiteVLX

• CarveItUp

• Wkerat

That's not actually a bug. There's a default time limit on how long you have to edit a post. I believe it's 30 minutes.

As for the hosting problems, we're looking at other hosting companies right now & the rest of the team & I will be talking about that this weekend. I do think that we'll end up moving to another company, but I don't want to jump in without having a plan laid out first. We'll definitely keep you posted.

Seems to be better. Some pages are still moving slow for me, but that could be my computer. I guess we will find out when/if they switch providers.

Tracie, can you give us all guidance on WE can do to help minimize this kind of problem.

Maybe a prioritized list of what causes the biggest impact. That way, we can all do our bit. If we put the right kind of habits in place at the outset, hopefully we'll keep problems down to a minimum.

For Example 1: You may tell us that simple text posts are fine. Conversely, you might also tell us that since every posting contains an avatar and posties and headers, that silly posts still eat up bandwidth. So keep them to a minimum... or pack more into a single post, instead of just trying to increase a post 'count".

For Example 2: Suggest that we all ask ourselves before we post ANYTHING: Will my posting or comment be of interest to more than just me and 1 other person. If not, just send a PM or an email.

For Example 3: You may tell us that uploading pictures into a thread posting becomes a bandwidth "hog". And if we do this, it should be meaningful to many members. Or post it in our gallery... or other options.

For Example 4: You may tell us that uploading Word files gobbles up space.

Anyhow, you get the idea. If we know the triggers that contribute to the problem, we can all do our part to keep it to a dull roar.

Thanks.

Doug,

Thanks for your offer of help! The problems at this point appear to be related to the health of the server on which our site is installed and is not due to usage of the site.

We are working with the hosting service to see what can be done to improve things there and are also looking at other hosting services that may be able to provide better reliability.

We want everyone to know that we are working on the problems and that we will keep everyone informed of what is happening.

Best regards,

Mike

Thanks so much Doug for taking such a positive, proactive approach to the problem.

This isn't an issue that our site is responsible for (at least from what I've been told). We're well within our bandwidth & overall storage allowances. The problems started when the server went down on the 5th, since then we've been told that there were other sites on our server that were taking more than their share of the resources & so were moved off. Now there's a problem with the server's control panel software, & honestly I'm not sure that the problems end here. So we're looking at new companies.

I know this is tough & I apologize for the difficulties, but we are going to get this worked out.

Just an update here....

I've finally decided on a new host & signed us up, so we'll begin the move soon. Unfortunately this will mean some down time for us, & we'll do our best to schedule & post that announcement accordingly.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Just an update here....

I've finally decided on a new host & signed us up, so we'll begin the move soon.  Unfortunately this will mean some down time for us, & we'll do our best to schedule & post that announcement accordingly.

Thanks for your continued patience.

Yea yea... we've all heard that before... the site will be down for days, then when it finally comes back up - it will be infested with Ford owners or something Tongue.gif

The site seems to be at a crawl last night and today. Is this the new server? I hope not. Do we have an update?

Edited by summerfun

Nope, we're not on the new host yet. It will take several days to get everything moved over & tested, we'll make sure to get an announcement up before we take the site down to make the actual switch. I'll probably want to do that late one night to minimize the impact to you guys. The slowdowns that we're experiencing are the reason for the move to a new host.

Soon I hope, I've got everything installed on the new site. Now I need to work at getting all of our data moved over. I plan on working on this throughout the weekend, with only a break for Little League tomorrow afternoon, but I'm learning as I go so I have no idea how long it will take & what kinds of snags we may run into.

Tracie

Great work on the site!

It might get slower Malibu3 just posted this site on the other site.

All of us lost, will finally find home.

Guys,

Hang with us, we have some very talented Admis/Mods that are working on this as we speak. You can imagine how hard it was to setup this website. Now think about seting it up again in a different location. They will have to do a lot of behind the door testing before they will go live on the new server. The last thing we want is for the site to crash and lose everything. We realize the site is slow too, we see it when we are online. You'll be crusing ASAP, just not until it's ready.