Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Site slowdown

WakeGirl

I just wanted to give everyone a head's up. If things seem a little slow today, you're not alone. I've been seeing it all morning - I'm watching it, & I've got a support ticket in to the hosting company to try & see what the problem may be. Our server load figures have been fluctuating a bit this morning whereas they are usually pretty steady (sometimes they might have a spike, but it doesn't normally last for more than a few minutes & then it's gone). Bandwidth isn't the problem, we're well below our allowance for the month so it's some other issue that we'll get worked out.

Anyway, I just wanted to let everyone know what's up & that we're working to correct the problem. Your patience is greatly appreciated. :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• WakeGirl

• whiteVLX

• CarveItUp

• Sunsetter95

Tracie, wonder if there's a way to put an icon on the front page that would show 'status' of the feed. Something simple like:

Great

OK

POOR - we're working on it!

That way (as Mark pointed out) we would all be able to check the front page and see if it's TMC's problem or ours.

We've talked about that, TMC is something that some of the members came up with. Before we went live, we were tentatively calling it amongst the mods the 'Bucrew, & sometimes just the Crew. I'm sure that something good will present itself.

Andy,

At this point I don't know how hard it would be to implement. In order to pull that info it would have to come from the site's control panel & that has restricted access & for good reason. Maybe JZ or Mike can comment on that. What I'm hoping is that this isn't a common occurrence & that we won't need something like that.

Tracie, wonder if there's a way to put an icon on the front page that would show 'status' of the feed.  Something simple like:

Great

OK

POOR - we're working on it! 

That way (as Mark pointed out) we would all be able to check the front page and see if it's TMC's problem or ours.

There isn't really a source of good info for us to go on... Tracie mentioned the server status from the IPS page, but its not any more reliable than just trying to log in really. If we put a status on the homepage, and there is a problem, the homepage wouldn;t load either :) One thing you can do to see if it is an issue on our end ('Bu Crew) or yours is to load up another complex page... Not something like google, but something more like espn or cnn or something with lots of content on the page...

Just a thought. In the meantime, I'll try to dream up a better solution.... :)

JZ

Actually JZ there's a spot in the cPanel that give the server status & that's the one that I was talking about. But again, it's a restricted area so getting that info may not be possible. Like I said, hopefully this isn't a common theme.

I'm just glad you are sharing the info, most other forums try to hide the fact they are having issues. It's better to be upfront about things so we all know what's up...

Again another added value this site has over the rest... Great job...

Okay I finally was able to talk to a human body today at our hosting company. I have been getting emails from them saying that they're working on the problem, but obviously something is still going on because things are still a little slow today & from what I understand the site went down for about 10 minutes while I was at lunch. So, here's what's happening:

We are on a shared hosting plan, which means that we are on a server that is shared among other sites. When one site gets too large/busy, then it puts a strain on the server & everything slows down on that server. This is what's happened, there are a couple of sites on that server that have outlived shared hosting & so it's maxing out the capabilities of our server, & in turn slowing our site down. The hosting company is in the process of moving these sites to a different server to alleviate the strain on us. They say that the migration should be done either tonight or in the morning, so please bear with us. If this continues to be problematic for us, I will look at moving the site to something more reliable.

No problem, just cross your fingers that their techs get this done & this is the last of our problems for a while.

To be honest I've never noticed a slowdown up here at work. Of course I'm having to share about 2 dozen T3 lines with a couple of other people.

Just an update on this. Some of you may have noticed some intermittent problems with the site this morning. It has to do with the server control panel software & some issues that the hosting company is having with it. At this point I'm looking at either having them move the site to another server or possibly moving to another hosting company altogether. This has nothing to do with us or our site traffic, our host just seems to be having "difficulties" lately. Just know that we are working to get this fixed, one way or another. Thanks for your continued patience.