Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Monsoon II spark plugs

I just hit 200 hrs this weekend and am on the original spark plugs. Is it time to replace? The boat runs great but it seemed to idle a bit rough this weekend. Maybe its just me being anal and over imaging things. Would old plugs cause a rough idle. The boat runs very smooth otherwise. The manual calls for new plugs every season or 300 hours. Every season seems a bit much.

Is the monsoon picky on plugs? Can I get them at an auto parts store and get an equivilent plug to the mr43lts that indmar calls for?

I've always been able to pick up the AC Delco MR43LTS at the local NAPA auto parts store. About $1.50 each. I replace them every season. It's an easy job, not too much dough, gives me something to do to make me feel like a mechanic, and I could swear the engine runs better after I change the plugs (I guess it could be my imagination) Plus I've got this awesome set of tools from Sears, and I'm always looking for a reason to use them...

Seriously, though, whatever you do though, stick with marine plugs (that's the "M" in "MR43LTS). I'm told they are different from the regular automotive type...and I'd be willing to bet you notice a difference with new plugs vs. 200 hr old plugs...

Edited by rts

The M indeed stands for Marine and usually raises the price quite a bit. The only difference is that the metal parts are made from Stainless Steel, a good thing if in NaCL H2O, but probably not a necessity if only used in Fresh H20.

Plugs, cap, and rotor every 50 hours. I used the R45XLS (one range hotter) when the engine was stock because it gave me a better indication of complete combustion on plug checks.

I bet your auto/boat parts store loves you. :)

I change the oil and filter every 50 hours, the tranny at 100 hrs, impellar at 100 hrs, and everything else at the start of the season (that would be cap/rotor/plugs/fuel filters).

I've never though of replacing the rotor and cap. Is it a difficult job? Are these, too, "marine parts" or can I get them at NAPA? Anybody by chance have a model number for an '02 Monsoon?

Thanks, I'm gonna do it this weekend. What about the "marine" parts stuff. Is the stock rotor and cap from Indmar marinized? Thanks again, I just replaced a fuel pump by myself a couple weeks ago, so I am quite taken aback at my mechanical skills, and if Galaxy says these parts should be replaced, I'm all over it (unless it's gonna cost over $100.00 or something)

My napa store has the delco plugs but for about $7. :unsure: They had a Champion plug that cross referenced for under $2. I don't mind blowing the coin to get the delcos if there is a difference. What do you guys think?

Edited by Lakenut

Wow!! I'm looking at my receipt for the last plug change from NAPA. It was about a month or so ago. The "list price" for the AC Delco MR43LTS's was $3.84, the net price I paid was $2.49 each. (I guess I was wrong before about the $1.50 each :blush: )

But $7 bucks each is rediculous. I can't see your location while I'm writing this, but geographic variation in price can't make up for that.

Call "my" NAPA" The number is 407-847-2851. Maybe even with some shipping, you'll come out ahead, if you're set on using the recommended plugs, which I am, especially while I'm under the engine warranty.

Edited by rts

Galxytoad: I checked with skidim.com and they offer an autolite as a replacement for the delco that indmar recomends. Will there be a performance difference when going to the autolite vs. the delco?

Sorry for all of the dumb questions. Stupid.gif I am pretty mechanical but know nothing when it comes to spark plugs. I don't want to spend $$ on a non-returnable part that doesn't perform well.

Um, about 270 hours and it runs great...........but I will be paying attention closely. I was getting a little "hunting" with PP set last time, but I think it was the PP system or the paddle wheel. I may be changing the plugs soon just for the heck of it.....................during the winter time I was getting a little sputter sometimes after long periods of idle 10-15 min...........but when I changed from Reg Gas to Mid Grade Gas, like the book says and the intermittent mild sputter at idle went away.