Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Prescription Spex?

skihorse

My wife wears contacts and has periodic trouble with contacts moving or rolling up on a pass. Once this happens she loses depth perception not to mention the discomfort. She is considering Lasik surgery at the end of the tournament season. We would like some feedback from anyone that has tried prescription goggles. She uses non-prescription Spex now and would like to try a prescription goggle to use the remainder of the season.

Also has anyone had any complications with Lasik?

I wore glasses since 7th grade. 20/200 right eye and 20/300 left eye. I was pretty much blind without my glasses. I had the lasik done to both eyes over a year ago. I had my surgery at about 5:30 in the evening. It took about 14 seconds in one eye and 16 seconds in the other. When I got up from the surgery, I could see clearer than I could without glasses, but everything was really cloudy and kinda dreamlike. I pretty much kept my eyes closed for the rest of the evening and went to bed.

When I woke up the next morning, I could see. I could see things that I have never seen before in my life, even with glasses.

With glasses my eyesight was corrected to 20/20, but the lasik actually corrected both eyes to 20/15. I could see more definition in things like clouds and far away mountains than I ever could with glasses.

I cost about 3K. To me, it was worth every penny. I have had no complications, or even discomfort. The first time I wakeboarded with my new eyes, I was thrilled to see everything.

I have spoken to many others who have experienced the same results. I have spoken only to one person who still has to wear glasses after the surgery, but he had a plethora of eye issues to begin with.

Custom lasik is worth every cent, and can change your life. Find the right Doctor at the right facility and I give it my unqualified endorsement!

No lasik complications for me - haven't been able to get lasik yet. combination of really bad eyesight (nearsighted), large pupils and thin cornea add up to mix that doesn't work (at least yet). Cry.gifCry.gif

I actually ski fine in my contacts, rarely have problems, but I would love to wake up in the morning and see the alarm clock without my glasses.

Edited by Addictedto6
Isn't there a period of time after the surgery that you can't go in a lake or river?  Something about the flaps taking time to heal?

Yes, I believe there is but I can't remember how long it was. I waited and procrastinated for a long time to get the procedure. If I had known how great it was going to be I would not have waited 5 minutes. It is worth missing out a few weeks at least of being in the water. The eye is one of the fastest healing tissues in the body but they don't want to take any risks of a blow to the eye for a while, like a face plant.

I agree with Peacock 100%. I had a very similar experience.

Lasik has changed my quality of life. I was 20/400 before surgery and 20/15 now. My golf handicap also dropped from 12 to 2 (well last year it was...not sure what it is this year b/c I haven't played due to the new Sunscape being used every weekend Yahoo.gif ).

Tried the Rx Spexs a few years ago. Dont get polarized as the film separated between the lenses. They also dont look like normal specs.. The lens is inserted into the lens of the specs giving an ...unusual look. The foam frame was geat and aided flotatation but not really necessary. I've recently gone to some Rx oaklies with a croakie. like them much better.

Thanks for the input. I didn't even think about the Oakley option and thanks for the heads-up on the polarized lens.

She will not be able to go straight for the Lasik as she cannot wear contacts for 2 wks prior to surgery and then has to be out of the H2O for a week after. So she would be unable to ski w/o some kind of prescription lenses. That's why she is wanting to wait until after the season. Though she would prefer to have it done tomorrow :)

Edited by skihorse

I am an optometrist and have had LASIK myself and have managed hundreds of cases so I may be of a little assistance to you. LASIK is an excellent option for the right person, obviously, but you should not do any "high impact water sports" for two to three months. (This number varies by the journal you read, but why risk it???)

The specs will work good, but they tend to get too much "spray" on them and can be hard to ski with. If you can tell me the "numbers" on your wifes contact lens RX I can try to guide you with a little more input. A daily disposable contact lens just for ski time perhaps???

One final note, the type of laser and surgeon make the difference between night and day in the outcome. The type of laser I would reccomend will vary greatly by the amount and type of prescription. Let me know where home base is and I can talk to a few people a get a good reccomendation. You are more than likely in the 4K to 5k range for a type flight surgeon and laser.

Just my two cents...

J