Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

My first cry for help in three years

Sunday afternoon started getting an audible tone under dash while in no wake zone.

Gos away when the boat is throttled up

Can't say for sure what my oil pressure is because my guage is always hunting (for two years) but now its reading low. The warning goes away while at normal cruising speed or I would have got a tow back to the ramp.

Oil level normal

Temp normal

any ideas

It sounds like a low oil pressure alarm, You may just need a new sending unit.

Have you tried screwing in a mechanical gauge to test this?

I would tee off the block leave the factory unit hooked up and screw the mechanical unit to the other port in the tee. When the alarm goes off check the two gauges.

Mike

I'm assuming you have the Monsoon?

There are two wires for the two oil sensors right above the oil filter. One of them goes to the guage and the other goes to the ECM, which will cause the alarm to go off. You'll also commonly heard them referred to as the oil pressure sender and the oil pressure switch.

I forget which is which, but when you ground the one that goes to the gauge, it will peg the needle on the gauge. Do this when you first start up to determine which one goes to the gauge. Then, next time the alarm goes off, pull the one that goes to the ECM. If the alarm stops, you know its that sensor (switch).

At this point you either have a bad oil pressure switch or legitimately have low oil pressure. A new switch is pretty cheap and would be very easy to swap out as a test. It's been documented through threads in the past that these switches do go bad from time to time. Not sure how easy it is to hook up a mechanical unit as Captain Blood suggested.

Hope that helps.

Mike

Edited by mlange

When my oil pressure switch which goes to the ECM (as opposed to the pressure sending unit that goes to the guage) on my monsoon failed, I got a tone that went like this

beep,beep,pause,beep,pause,repeat

Does that match what you're getting? If so, it's most likely the switch that's going (or gone) bad. If so, it's a quick and relatively cheap fix.

Hope this helps...

Edited by rts

I'm getting a steady tone

I have an LS-1 (hence the screen name).

Thanks for the tips guys, I would think the setup is similar to both engines. I now have a direction to go.

Edited by LS-One
It sounds like a low oil pressure alarm, You may just need a new sending unit.

Have you tried screwing in a mechanical gauge to test this?

I would tee off the block leave the factory unit hooked up and screw the mechanical unit to the other port in the tee. When the alarm goes off check the two gauges.

Mike

Thanks CB,

I have determined the switch/sending unit is bad , I went ahead and installed a mechanical guage also which will be permanently mounted near the ECM