Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

knee braces

MARiley

i was wakeboarding yesterday and upon landing a jump i tweaked my knee so much as to scare the living s*** out of me. i was wondering if anybody has had any experience with knee braces, mostly the asterisk. thanks fellas.

I wear double CTi's. They're great. I've had them for 5 years and I'm religious about wearing them wake and snow boarding. Once you get used to them, you'll be addicted.

I have a couple friends that work for DJ Orthopedic in N. Cnty. They make a great brace and I can hook you up with one of them if you want to ask him some questions and/or get a brace(s). Also, if you are my size, 6'2", 240 lbs, I have a pair at my house you can try out that I don't need anymore. Let me know.

Greg

Funny, I tweaked my knee this past weekend and immediately went onto Buywake.com and ordered two different style EVS braces (one CF and one Neoprene). I'll let you know how they work out onve they come in.

JZ

Everyone I know who has tried the asterisks say they blow away the CTIs....no comparison. The only thing is, your doc cannot write a prescription for asterisks the way he can the CTI.

thanks for all the help guys. my knee is still aches when i don't walk straight(i.e. around corners) so i think i'm going to go shopping for a sports doctor or whoever deals with we just switched to a PPO so that shouldn't be too tough. if the doc can prescribe asterisks i might go with them because they're cheaper and from yzthump said his buds said the asterisks kill the CTIs. then again if he can't, the ppo price is less than the asterisks.

i'm going to buy some cheap ones (with metal supports) in the mean time for boarding this week.

greg, i don't think those will fit. i'm a little guy, about 5'11", 150. thanks very much for the offer. i'll definitely check out your buddies at djortho if/when the time comes

If you are hurting that badly, I would NOT go boarding... last thing you want to do is turn a pull into a tear.... Just IMHO.

JZ

If you are hurting that badly, I would NOT go boarding...  last thing you want to do is turn a pull into a tear....  Just IMHO.

JZ

i may have made it sound worse than it is. i will def be taking it easy if i do board. prolly just just surf.

• 2 weeks later...

Looking on eBay, there are a number of slightly used braces for sale. The EVS models are quite reasonable and claim to be good for saltwater use (not that I will us it in saltwater). Also CTI and Asterisk.

Think I may try one of the EVS models ... can alway put it back on eBay if I don't like it. Haven't heard back from the Dr yet as to what is available thru him.

/Steve

I got the EVS carbon fiber model from Buywake (forgot the model name). It works pretty well, but will take a while to get used to when riding....

JZ