Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

23 LSV capacity?

RedOwl

Ok,

So I managed to get out for a nice spring ride (38 degrees) for Malibu Demo Days in WI.

I spent the majority of my time on an '08 Sunscape 23 LSV and noticed that the Coast Guard plate says the max capacity is 13. I know I must be reading something wrong, but all of the literature I have ever seen from Malibu says the capacity is 14?????

What am I missing? Does malibu estimate max capacity differently than the CG? Is there any chance they put the wrong plate on?

Can someone please point out the cause for my confusion!?!!?

Thanks!

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

Ok,

So I managed to get out for a nice spring ride (38 degrees) for Malibu Demo Days in WI.

I spent the majority of my time on an '08 Sunscape 23 LSV and noticed that the Coast Guard plate says the max capacity is 13. I know I must be reading something wrong, but all of the literature I have ever seen from Malibu says the capacity is 14?????

What am I missing? Does malibu estimate max capacity differently than the CG? Is there any chance they put the wrong plate on?

Can someone please point out the cause for my confusion!?!!?

Thanks!

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure:

We have an 06 LSV. The capacity is 14 on ours and it has the boat's model on that stamp. What engine did you get? Just thinking out loud. if the boat had a big block maybe they have to compensate for the added engine weight? Dontknow.gif

My CG plate says 14

2004 WS/LSV with HH

It was just the demo boat, and I will admit that I didn't take the time to read the boat model, but this particular 23 had the Monsoon in it.

I have heard from more than one person, that this has occurred. Seems like they put a VLX plate in an LSV, or something.

Gotta be a wrong plate, according to the specs it's 14 peeps.
I have heard from more than one person, that this has occurred. Seems like they put a VLX plate in an LSV, or something.
Gotta be a wrong plate, according to the specs it's 14 peeps.

Nice try but the VLX is 11 peeps.

Wasn't suggesting that the VLX holds 13 or even 14, rather that a plate mis-hap HAS happened from the factory, thats all.

Nice try but the VLX is 11 peeps.

I have the 2004 LSV with the 8.1 BB and the plate says 14 peeps.

Any chance that the boat you were in had the setup with 2 captains seats? The additional chair would take up space for 2.

-Dave

You know Dave,

I never thought of that. The boat I was in DID have two captains chairs. I guess I just assumed that the capacity rating would stay the same, but your suggestion seems to be the logical solution that I couldn't put my fingers on.

Thanks!

So is it likely that having the additional captains chair lowers the capacity of the boat?

I get that it limits seating, but I always assumed those ratings were based on maximum weight?

Edited by forrestgump1203
You know Dave,

I never thought of that. The boat I was in DID have two captains chairs. I guess I just assumed that the capacity rating would stay the same, but your suggestion seems to be the logical solution that I couldn't put my fingers on.

Thanks!

I am not an expert but capacity is a function of space to sit and overall load. Check the plate and see what the overall load capacity is and we can compare that to what others have. I do not know what mine is but I can check. There was a thread a while back (weeks I think?) about CG capacity, people, ballast, and wedge. Basically in the eyes of the CG and probably law enforcement if you load the boat down with ballast both factory installed and user installed with al the weight of your gear that weight is dedected from your CG rating. The difference between rated capacity and all your gear and ballast weight is what you have left for passengers, not that any of us would knowingly violate this..... Whistling.gif . The wedge really makes this an intersting topic as the overall load is a function of velocity and angle of the boat. Think airplane, they can only carry so much load and that is shared with fuel, people, and stuff.

Hope this helps.

-Dave

Great, thanks! I'm interested to hear what he has to say.

I imagine that they take the extra captain chair into consideration on that one. I believe the weight capacity is listed seperately and they may figure most people look at the plate to strictly tell them how many people can sit in it. Dontknow.gif I remember seeing an LSV at the boat show that had a lower capacity listed than ours & it was for a reason similar to that when I asked about it.

Anyway, I'm so glad to see that you're on your way to getting that new boat! Any thoughts on when you'll order & what colors it'll be?!? (I love living vicariously through others' new boats!)

Well, we're very close and yet so far at this point.

We've decided we are definitely getting a malibu - now we're trying to decide exactly what we want to do... We want to get something we'll be happy with, but we don't have all the money in the world to play with.

My wife loves the 23 LSV, but I would like to get the new hull, which rules out getting a carry over from last year, which rules out any amazing deals at this point.

Our other option is to get an '07 247 as the hull hasn't changed on that one.

So I guess the answer is that we're looking to see what dealers have on their lots right now and trying not to be TOO picky about the colors/features.

If we don't see something we fall in love with, we'll probably put in an order at the end of May and just except the fact that we'll have a painfully long wait to get our boat over the summer Yuk.gif

Thanks very much for the info on the capacity plate - it's hard to not look at every little detail when the shopping process takes such a long time.

I don't know what I'd do without the crew...

Edited by forrestgump1203
  • 3 weeks later...

I asked my dealer about the discrepancy and he had no idea why the 2008 Sunscape 23 LSV has a rating for 13 people when all marketing materials show 14. He was sure the USCG plate in the Wakesetter shows 14. Sorry, not much help.

• 1 month later...

Update

I was just on another '08 23 LSV with the a captain's chair in the spotter seat. The CG weigh capacity plate read 14.

Despite the year that I have been shopping, I am just as confused today as I was 12 months ago.