Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Next step for 3.5 year old

DNA'er

So I put the boom on the boat last weekend and got my 3.5 year old up on skis for the first time(he skied between my legs). It was a very cool moment and the look on his face when he got up was one of those priceless memories in life. Brought back memories of my dad teaching me to ski except I had 75 feet of rope between the boat and myself and I was being pulled by a Boston Whaler with a 33hp Evinrude(brings to mind the Rack torture scene in Braveheart). Anyway, I don't know whether the next step should be him on the boom alone or one of those ski sleds. Anyone have expertise on the process?

So I put the boom on the boat last weekend and got my 3.5 year old up on skis for the first time(he skied between my legs).  It was a very cool moment and the look on his face when he got up was one of those priceless memories in life.  Brought back memories of my dad teaching me to ski except I had 75 feet of rope between the boat and myself and I was being pulled by a Boston Whaler with a 33hp Evinrude(brings to mind the Rack torture scene in Braveheart).  Anyway, I don't know whether the next step should be him on the boom alone or one of those ski sleds.  Anyone have expertise on the process?

I say whatever they're more comfortable with. My personal preference for teaching anything new is the boom, but in the end it's up to them & what they are more comfortable with.

DNA'er, I'd love to have my son (now 3) try between my legs, but am always worried I'd screw it up!

I got both of my girls up a couple of years ago using the boom, the younger one was just over 3 at the time, older one was 5 1/2. we had the advantage of starting on private lake with one boat out at a time in a very controlled environment, but here's how I did it using a boom.

(Disclaimer: a couple of friends showed me this approach, it worked for me, but like a water sports, this is an at your own risk :) ).

we set up the training rope so that the main rope was attached to the skis (at the bar), and the kids handle was attached to the main section of the ski rope.

Put a carabiner around the boom cable and run the kids rope through it. some one in the boat will hold the other end of the training rope while in the boat . I used a zip tie to keep the carabiner at the boom and prevent it from sliding down the cable when there isn't any tension. We usually wrap the rope around the pylon to make it easier for the person in the boat to hold on/adjust. the helper should wear ski gloves too.

Getting started on the water. I would sit on the back of the LXI storage deck (not the back platform), and hold my daughter while she put the skis standing up. she would hold her handle and get into "skiing position".

driver puts the boat in gear (all it took was ideal). Then I would gentle lower her onto the water on the side of the boat, holding on to her life jacket.

here's where the carabiner setup helps...As I put my daughter on the water, the person in the boat would then pull on the other end of the rope to ensure the right tension. this really helps keep the tips of the skis out of the water!

that's it, she was skiing next to the boat, as she got more comfortable, I would provide less and less support until she did it completely on her own. once I completely let go, she would swing farther away from the boat just like shortline from the boom.

As an added tip, I attached an additional slalom handle to the front ski bar for my 3 year old - this made it a little easier putting her in the water (more leverage on ski tips), and I was also able to "retrieve" her after I let her go and she swung away from the boat.

The biggest thing is to keep the tips out of the water as you first put them in, and then good rope tension so that the rope is pulling them (as opposed to you pulling them along with your support). I found I provided too much support, the skis would want to go under more.

Next step after this was to remove the ropes from the ski bar attachment, and transition to short line off the boom with someone in the water to help them get started. then they both went to behind the boat. Both got right up behind the boat that summer , but driver error by Dad pulled my younger one over the front and she's been a little more gun shy since. you can't go to slow with the little ones!

Note: Some people just tie the training rope to the boom (and skis) when starting out, but I never liked the idea that if the child falls that the skis still get dragged along until the boat full stops. I also had problems getting the exact right length each time. With the carabiner setup, you can adjust on the fly, and you can simply let the rope out if the kid falls.

Correction edit: realized when I posted the pics that the kids training handle is attached to main rope (see the Y shape rope connection in the picture)

Edited by Addictedto6

Thanks for all the feedback and advice from everyone. Kevin, appreciate the tutorial and I think I am going to use your method. Really appreciate your input and great pics(something about watching kids having a blast just makes the day seem right).

We got our 6 & 7 year old up behind the boat on skis for the first time last weekend. They have both been using the ski skimmer for two years. We are fortunate to have a place that we can start them right from the beach so we would pull them right off the beach on the skimmer.

For skis I got them set up in the water and held them stable from behind so they were in the right positon. The driver tightened up the line and then just eased them out of the water. My 7 year old popped right up and skied halfway around the lake the first time. My 6 year old needed 3-4 tries but he got up as well.

I think using the skimmer was good to get them used to being behind the boat and in the right position. I was going to buy a boom but now it seems like I have saved the $400.

If your kids are ready I think you can get them going behind the boat although I acknowledge it is easier with really small ones on the boom. The big key for my 6 year old was don't stand up too soon and lean back as you are coming out of the water.

Either you have brave kids or I have the most timid 2 year old around. I would love to have him learning to ski. Just last weekend I finally got him on the swim deck which was a big step from coaxing him on the back of the hull (where we have been for a month now). He loves the boat, but isn't too sure about the water. Advise, or just keep with the baby steps?

Either you have brave kids or I have the most timid 2 year old around.  I would love to have him learning to ski.  Just last weekend I finally got him on the swim deck which was a big step from coaxing him on the back of the hull (where we have been for a month now).  He loves the boat, but isn't too sure about the water.  Advise, or just keep with the baby steps?

Keep with the baby steps. next thing you know, he'll be all over the place. my son Kyle (just turned 3) was timid around the back of the boat end last season/early this season. didn't like being in the water with his life jacket...now he's comfortable and having a blast in the water and on the steps.

Kyle also said he was ready to ski this last weekend! Got the gear setup and he was in the skis on the back platform with me holding on to him. Driver put it in gear, Kyle bobbled forward a little before I got a chance to pick him up and put him on the water - just that little bobble shot his confidence and he was done trying. so guess he wasn't really ready. best to not push it and wait until he says ready to try again.