Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Heater core replacement

I have recently removed the heater after discovering that it was the cause of the leak that would leave my bow carpet wet after a full day. I took it apart and removed the core. I have tried to find a replacement from the local parts stores and haven't had any luck. I contacted Heatercraft and the replacement is over $100 but I remember reading on this forum(I think) that some people have found them locally for much less $$$. Does anyone have a part number that I can reference for an equivalent automotive type heater core?

If I can't find one, I may try a radiator shop to see if they can repair the old core. The heater is one of the 3 outlet type heaters with 2 vents under the drivers dash and one pull-out type in the walkway.

Here is the core on the right.

6-30-05%20wedge%20and%20heater%20001.jpg

sorry, can't help with part numbers.

a question:

your pix looks like most of the corrosion is around the edges.

is this an interface problem?

is there a barrier between the core and the shell or have they built a little battery?

There is a small black strip of what appears to be some kind of foam around the outside edge that you can see in the pic. I assume that it is supposed to keep the core isolated from the shell but it is not very thick or stiff. I'm not sure exactly how these things work so I'm not sure if that is significant or not. The rubber hoses were melted to the fittings on the core though. I had to cut the hoses to get it out from under the dash.

When I talked to the guy at Heatercraft he said that if I ordered a replacement from them, they would also send a new shell because they have since re-designed the core and it wouldn't fit in my old shell.

Have you tried NAPA?

No, I didn't. Will do. Thanks.

try a local radiator shop.  i had mine fixed for $25 a couple of months ago - the leak was on the seam.

Kevin

Where exactly is this seam that you're talking about. I know nothing about these things but I don't see any seams. Is it covered up by the foam strip in my pic? How exactly does the water flow through this thing anyway?

Napa will be able to help you. Take your old one in with you and they can match it up to those in their catalogs. I've done it several times over the years, but once I had to sweat the tubes off my old one and onto my new one due to different lengths....

Have you tried NAPA?

No, I didn't. Will do. Thanks.

try a local radiator shop.  i had mine fixed for $25 a couple of months ago - the leak was on the seam.

Kevin

Where exactly is this seam that you're talking about. I know nothing about these things but I don't see any seams. Is it covered up by the foam strip in my pic? How exactly does the water flow through this thing anyway?

On mine, there was a weld seam underneath the foam strip. to find out where your leak is, you can probably simply plug up one end and blow on the other.

this is my second core. I got a really good deal on a new one when the first went out. not sure the first one is even repairable - the corrison was more extensive and the leaks were in the small folds in the core, as opposed to the outside seam.