Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gelcoat Yellowing

MO-BluBu

Wooo Hooo boat is getting wet tomorrow. Pull boat out of storage yesterday, engine fired like I parked it yesterday.

I have a neutral hull (Off white/almost beige) I notice on the bow the gelcoat is darker about an inch next to the vinyl from the bow insert. It follows the edge all around the bow edge. It is as if the vinyl leached someting into the gelcoat. Vinyl is fine and not discolored.

My question is can I wet sand this out of the gelcoat and buff back to a shine or has this permeated the entire layer. It is kinda like computer equipment that has been near a window.

The boat is a 2000 sunsetter LXI. The only time this area sees the sun has been during use (450) hours when not in use the cover is on or in storeage.

Thanks in advance for your experience. May the forum (force) be with me. Biggrin.gif

Wooo Hooo boat is getting wet tomorrow. Pull boat out of storage yesterday, engine fired like I parked it yesterday.

I have a neutral hull (Off white/almost beige) I notice on the bow the gelcoat is darker about an inch next to the vinyl from the bow insert. It follows the edge all around the bow edge. It is as if the vinyl leached someting into the gelcoat. Vinyl is fine and not discolored.

My question is can I wet sand this out of the gelcoat and buff back to a shine or has this permeated the entire layer. It is kinda like computer equipment that has been near a window.

The boat is a 2000 sunsetter LXI. The only time this area sees the sun has been during use (450) hours when not in use the cover is on or in storeage.

Thanks in advance for your experience. May the forum (force) be with me. Biggrin.gif

i see that often and in most cases it is from the gas vent. as the temp goes up and down a full tank of gas will expand & blow gas out the vent then depending what way the boat slopes the gas runs around the rubrail & stains the boat. there are usually stains on the cover but not always. the answer to your sand & buff question is yes but i would try some soaps like dawn or simple green first. sand & buff as a last resort its hard to get in the corner of the trim without removing it and you may also open up pourosity then a small area turns in to a big area that won't go away without refinishing. hope this helps. mike

There is also a fiberglass cleaner with just a bit of grit in it. Collinite may some along with some great wax. The cleaner takes off the water line haze after a few days in the water.

Try the famous Tonic - 1/2 hydrogen peroxide 1/2 sno-bol toilet cleaner. Don't use the gel stuff, it just turns into a volcano.

Just spray it on, let it sit for a minute or two, maybe wipe with a rag a little, then wash it off. Don't let it sit on there too long.

My gelcoat had turned yellowish, and this made it sparkly white again.