Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Fiberglass Platform

So I elected to go with the fiberglass platform over the teak on my 05 VLX. I love the look and feel of it, but I am starting to notice scratches around the perimeter of the rubber pad. Mad.gif These are probably caused from wakeboard fins and boards sliding off the platform. On the teak platform this was not an issue, but I am realizing with the fiberglass that these may be unavoidable. It seems like the pad should go to the edge or wrap the corner. Any thoughts or ideas on this?

Edited by wakeace

A little polishing compound will take care of it.

I've always been a teak lover, but the dealer made a mistake on my new boat and it came with the fibreglass platform. He deducted the cost and said to try it and if I wanted the teak later he would exchange it. I have found that I like the fibreglass better.

I've always been a teak lover, but the dealer made a mistake on my new boat and it came with the fibreglass platform. He deducted the cost and said to try it and if I wanted the teak later he would exchange it. I have found that I like the fibreglass better.

What he said on getting the scratches out. The different boat manufacturers that are offering these platforms are marketing them as no-maintenance & I would strongly disagree with that, no such thing IMO. Just a different kind of maintenance, it comes down to what you like the look of.

Teach your boarder friends to hop off the platform. I had the same problem and instructed the few offenders in proper exit technique...problem solved.

What do you mean by polishing compound? Stupid.gif

What do you mean by polishing compound?  Stupid.gif

I just took out a bunch of scratches to the gelcoat and they disappeared completely. I first wet sand with 800 grit, then 1000, followed by 1500 grit. I then buff with 3M Perfect It rubbing compound, followed finally by 3M Perfect It finishing glaze. The scratches disappear and it looks brand new.

I bought my supplies from Levine Auto Parts online, but many auto parts stores will carry something similar.

Hmm, I thought the whole benefit to the FG platform was zero maintenance? If you have to sand it down, might as well have gotten teak. ;)

If the fiberglass is white, like mine, it will show the scratches, and there are quite a few at over 250 hrs..........but most 95% will polish out instantly..............next time I will go with the black fiberglass.

I been on several of the 05 Bu's and I do not like the new hatch door. When you open it, it falls directly on the transom - BANG............on my 04 model it must have a built in stop or something? And for what ever reason the pad material on mine seems better.

This is my first colored platform and it is showing more ware then the white ones I've had. I think that a hand rail around the outside like Supra has would stop a lot of scratches from happing in the first place and make getting on easier.

I have had a few small scratches on mine, but they clear up with a bit of rubbing compound and a new coat of wax. I love the FG platform. Teak is nice, just not for me.

One thing I have noticed is that the rubber pad has shrunk up a bit, and I have seen this on another 05 VLX. I have about 1/4" strip of adhesive around the edge of the pad. I am sure it is just the sun baking it. I just need to use something to clean up the glue where the rubber pulled back from. I recently have been keeping a light treatment of 303 on the rubber pad. Still looks brand new. Just a bit smaller.

I have had a few small scratches on mine, but they clear up with a bit of rubbing compound and a new coat of wax.  I love the FG platform.  Teak is nice, just not for me.

One thing I have noticed is that the rubber pad has shrunk up a bit, and I have seen this on another 05 VLX.  I have about 1/4" strip of adhesive around the edge of the pad.  I am sure it is just the sun baking it.  I just need to use something to clean up the glue where the rubber pulled back from.  I recently have been keeping a light treatment of 303 on the rubber pad.  Still looks brand new.  Just a bit smaller.

I really do not know what it is...........the mat (rubber pad) on the 04 is a lot better IMO then what is being put on the 05..............just seems like better material to me.........plus that hatch door that hits the transom on the 05 is just not right.

If the fiberglass is white, like mine, it will show the scratches, and there are quite a few at over 250 hrs..........but most 95% will polish out instantly..............next time I will go with the black fiberglass.

The black will show more scrathces then the white.

I been on several of the 05 Bu's and I do not like the new hatch door. When you open it, it falls directly on the transom - BANG............on my 04 model it must have a built in stop or something?

My 04 hatch hits the transom just like the 05's, you must have got lucky with the way yours was installed.

Hmmm....The door on my 04 fiberglass platform doesn't hit the transom. There's no stopper, it's just the way the hinge is inset along with the shape of the door.

One thing I have noticed is that the rubber pad has shrunk up a bit, and I have seen this on another 05 VLX.  I have about 1/4" strip of adhesive around the edge of the pad. 

I noticed that mine is doing this too. Mad.gif I sill like the fiberglass platform, but I would not say that it is 0 maintenance.