Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Barefooting 101

sv3854

I would like to start a forum where newbies to barefooting (like me) can find info and suggestions.

I recently started barefooting and had a blast doing it off the boom last year. Last weekend I tried it long line and was able to get up twice for about 5 seconds. The only problem is that my cousin who was teaching me is off to the airforce academy and I am on my own.

Let's hear some pointers from you pros for us beginners.

Why don't you start with what you learned/felt when you tried it? Then, the information can be more helpful to your specific situation. There are several good footers on this board who can help you. There a bunch of average footers like me who can help too ROFL.gif

Edited by martho

When you say tried longline, does that mean a LL deepwater start, or standing up off a board of some type. Did you ever use the boom with a short rope on it? deepwaters on boom? did you try a toe front to back? line step 3?

I am an average footer, NOTHING fancy. I can deep h20 start and cross the wakes and thats it so keep that in mind. An expert I am not. I learned how to get up longline sitting on a kneeboard. How were you getting up? If you are getting up that doesn't seem to be a problem for you. Staying up is a matter of body position. I am sure that someone more knowlegable can chime in but more info on your problem would be helpful.

Oh. Welcome to the site.

Having a boom is great fun, but I find I get more thrill out of long line.

Glad your giving it a go!! Rockon.gif

One key for Long line, is to have a good driver. I find it way easier

to start deep water, with the boat in neutral, and then when your ready, the driver will put it in gear, and pull you up.

But, do what ever works for you, if you prefer to be pulled (in gear) before you yell "hit it", then go for that.

Another key (for deep water starts) is to hold the handle below your nuts. Shocking.gif

You can image what happens if they are just above, and you get pulled, and your arms stretch out, and...... youch!!!!

If you can, try to learn the deep water start. Don't mess around with kneeboards or skiis. If you get the deep water start, then you can always crash, let go, and start again without having to go back and grab your board. If you see some rollers coming, bail out. Sometimes you can get over them if your going with them, but if you see rollers coming at you, its faceplant city. (at least for me anyways!!)

Also, once you have mastered the deep water, you can start doing flying dock starts. Always a good crowd pleaser.

Tips to Deep water?

Well, just go and try it.

Take a deep breath, lean back flat, keep feet, or ankles over rope and hang on for life. It will be stressful, but use your elbows to keep you from flipping to side to side. Eventually, you'll get up on plain.

At this point, your on your a** ripping down the lake. You can go like this for ever if you like. I usually try to work my way outside the wake before planting my feet, but do whats comfortable for you.

Good luck!!!! Have fun.

Some guys Sky dive, some guys bungee jump,

but I like to foot long line. Thats my rush.

I can't do many fancy tricks, but slamming across the water on my bare feet at 40+ mph is way cool for me!!! Thumbup.gif

Cheers,

Mike

Edited by hemlock
Take a deep breath, lean back flat, keep feet, or ankles over rope and hang on for life

Ankles over the rope is a bad idea and the wrong way to learn.

Yep, do your arches instead of your ankles. You really only need one arch on the rope.

Crossing your ankles is a recipe for pain of you lose the handle.

Yep, do your arches instead of your ankles.  You really only need one arch on the rope.

Crossing your ankles is a recipe for pain of you lose the handle.

Good point!

I sometimes find it easier to get more foot on the rope as they may slip off sometimes before I'm on plain. Thats just me though. :)

Do as Martho and mlange say, arches is better and safer.

Cheers,

Vinrlx-

How do those nose plugs work? I have limited my footing the past couple of seasons do to the sinus washout during starts. Takes me weeks to get over the sinus crud from one footing run. Edwin, I like your idea also. Where does one find such tape?

Lakenut,

I cannot advise you on the nose plugs since I have never used one, I can tell you that Edwin is absolutely correct on the tape. You can buy it at any drug store, look for 3M Transpore™ clear water proof tape.

Hope this will help you!... :)

Sorry...I have been out of town for the holiday.

I am doing a deep water start without the use of a board or anything. Getting up and "cheeking" is pretty easy for me. I guess what I am missing is the routine to get up on my feet. I can't "see" what I am doing because of the spray.

I get up by having the driver idle up and then hit it. I straighten myself up and we are off. That part is pretty simple. The tough part is getting my feet planted and standing up. The 2 times i did get a mini run in, I don't know what I did right or wrong.

Some questions:

Do you have the handle at your waist when planting your feet?

Is it necessary to keep knees together and feet angle out?

Do you roll/rotate forward, or just plant your feet and what do you do with the handle when you plant your feet?

I am sure more questions will arrise.

Also,

What is the speed reccomended for beginners? I am 225.

baseline to determine speed = weight/10 + 20 MPH, so you would need about 42 if you go by that. you may be able to go a bit slower.

if you can't see what you are doing, you aren't getting in a good 3 point stance to get ready to get up. you should be riding high (almost in a straight back position) when you are "planting". you don't really need to "plant" though. just place your feet gently on the water, and slowly pull yourself up.

So you've cheeked out and are riding on your butt waiting for the boat to get to skiing speed. Your legs are straight out in front of you with feet resting on the rope and you're riding on your butt. When you want to plant take your feet off of the rope and bring them in as close as you can to your butt with your knees together feet shoulder width apart. At the same time let the handle out from your belt line to straight out in front of your chest. Allow the boat to pull your weight slightly forward onto your feet and slowly stand up keeping good barefoot posture. So to summarize the plant: Pull legs and feet into chest and butt while letting handle out, roll weight forward onto feet, and standup slowly.

Vinrlx-

How do those nose plugs work?  I have limited my footing the past couple of seasons do to the sinus washout during starts.  Takes me weeks to get over the sinus crud from one footing run.  Edwin, I like your idea also.  Where does one find such tape?

The nose plug works pretty well for me. I did the band-aid thing (in absence of med tape) previously, but the clip is much less futzing around. And I know EXACTLY what you mean about weeks of recovery following sinus irritation.

• 1 month later...

I was finally able to spend some time working on long line barefooting.

Now I am hooked!!!

I spent 4 days at Lake Cumberland last week and was able to figure it out after a few major spills. The bottom line is that I was placing my feet too close together. Now I can't wait till the weekend so I can practice more on the river here at home. Now I only need to talk my buddies into waking up early to pull me in the smooth water on Saturday mornings.

Thanks everyone for your input.

I am not sure if the piture will attach but I will post it in my gallery.

The bottom line is that I was placing my feet too close together

As you improve, you will find you want your feet closer together. It will be much less work for you to have your feet closer and gliding, than it is while they are wider and diggin into the water.

Congrats on your accomplishment. footing is not easy and you are doing well!

Thanks everyone.

It is an absolute blast!!! I got up the first day and after working on it for 4 days I am starting to feel a bit more relaxed although I am still feeling very tense. I think that with all of the faceplants and flips that I did figuring it out I have a real problem relaxing. It was well worth it with the rush I got when I finally figured it out. More water time is the answer.

I was able to cross the wake twice this weekend. I failed several times while crossing but not sure why.

Does anyone know who has good deals on 100 foot barefoot lines(I assume that is what I need)? Or do you have recommendations on what type and where I can get a good handle. I am assuming that I need zero stretch rope. I have 100 of spectra that I can use. I would rather get some good stuff now so I don't have to buy again after I figure out I bought the wrong stuff.

If you're crossing the wake behind an XTi using a regular slalom line you're doing better than you're giving yourself credit for.

Regarding a handle... you can obviously pick something up at your local dealer, Overtons, etc... but I'm partial to BarefootCentral.com. Good prices and they do a lot for the sport of barefooting. Unless you're planning on doing one foots anytime soon, I'd just get a wakes handle. I'm partial to BI, but others certainly make a great handle as well. The key is that the barefoot handles will be 15" wide vs. the 12" wide handle you are probably using now, which give you a little better/wider platform.

Regarding the rope... I would spring for the spectra line, but a BI TakLine would certainly be a big improvement as well if you are just using a slalom line right now.

Mike

Thanks everyone. 

It is an absolute blast!!!  I got up the first day and after working on it for 4 days I am starting to feel a bit more relaxed although I am still feeling very tense.  I think that with all of the faceplants and flips that I did figuring it out I have a real problem relaxing.  It was well worth it with the rush I got when I finally figured it out.  More water time is the answer.

I was able to cross the wake twice this weekend.  I failed several times while crossing but not sure why. 

Does anyone know who has good deals on 100 foot barefoot lines(I assume that is what I need)?  Or do you have recommendations on what type and where I can get a good handle.  I am assuming that I need zero stretch rope.  I have 100 of spectra that I can use.  I would rather get some good stuff now so I don't have to buy again after I figure out I bought the wrong stuff.

Your Spectra line and a good wakeboard handle will do just fine. 100' is a little long behind most boats, although I'm not familiar with the Wakesetter Xti. On most Malibu models, even good footers need to be aware of the rooster tail (or the dip created behind it) when crossing the wake. I recently started using the SSP to correct this problem behind my Rlx.