Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

water spots

These water spots are driving me crazy, they show up on the midnight blue. I've taken my boat out about 10 times and the water spots are BAD, how do i get them out? I tried a wax cleaner and it didn't help, I want to get them off before I wax it. Any help would be great.

Any automotive quick detailer such as Meguires will do the trick. You can also use a dilute vinegar soln.. Just spray on and wipe-off. Good luck.

Also try; Ducky, Babes Boat Brite, or Eagle One auto spray-on detailer.

Edited by brazosvet
These water spots are driving me crazy, they show up on the midnight blue. I've taken my boat out about 10 times and the water spots are BAD, how do i get them out? I tried a wax cleaner and it didn't help, I want to get them off before I wax it. Any help would be great.

I just got back from Lake Mead and the sun baked water spots all over my boat. I have Ruben/Black and I was worried I wouldn't get them out. Ducky removed all of them without much elbow grease. After that I sprayed Babes spray wax and it looks perfect.

Easy fix, you just need a good spot remover.

Greg

We have a heavy mineral content here on this lake. It causes some serious water spots on the black area of our boat. I keep it in a slip so when we get back I dip a towel in the lake and wipe down the boat. The water that causes the spots in the first place will breakdown the spots too. Just use a slightly damp end of the towel and wipe a small area with it, then dry it with the other end. This works for me between major cleanings and waxings.

We have the same problem here on our lake. If you have a good wax on your boat and wipe the boat down each time, you will not get the spots.

However, if you do not wipe right away or the sun just bakes them on too hard, then I use any lime away product. It cuts the spots like butter. Then wash with soap and water right after to get the residue from the lime away off the boat.

Been doing it for years and the boat looks showroom new. Zero elbow grease.

My boat is Dark Blue and Black. I used Ducky last year with great results. Based on info I got from a thread on here a couple of months ago I switched to the Meguires quick detail. I love that stuff. Gets rid of the water spots and it looks like the boat was just waxed. I think it's about $4 a bottle at Wal Mart, Target, etc. Highly recommend it. Thumbup.gif

I use the 50% water / 50% white vinegar solution and it works wonders for me. I've never had any problems, and it's probably cheaper than all of the products mentioned above.

EVERY time you pull the boat out of the water, before you leave the lake, mist it down with 50/50 soft-water vinegar, and wipe down with a damp towel. (or Ducky, Babes spot preventer, etc.)

Just wiping alone will not stop the spots. You need something to dissolve them like the vinegar.

If you let the spots build up, over time, regular spot removers will not get them off, and you have to resort to drastic measures.

Last year, with my new Supra SSV (red), I just wiped down every time leaving the lake without spot remover. After a month, it looked like hell, and I had to use CLR to get the spots off. Ducky, nothing I tried would remove them without serious scrubbing.

Once I learned the trick, no more worries.

Trust me, if it keeps my solid black hull spot free, it will work on anything.

Boomer and jvianco are right. Just put a 50/50 solution of water and white vinegar in an old spray bottle. Spray it on when you leave the lake and wipe it clean. You will never deal with hard water spots again. I've been using that solution for four or five years and my gel coat looks like new.

50/50 mix works, even on my '95's old finish. You can add a little dish soap also to help clean it away and it smells better.

I hate the smell of vinegar in the morning.

Vinegar and H20 works on the stubborn water spots pretty well plus its cheap!

Just got back from Havasu, 118`F and hard water. Had a premium wax on before we left. Did Ronnies trick, damp rag with lake water and then dried, it gets most, but still leaves some residue. I had a bottle of Babes Boat Brite sitting around so I gave it a try, it shined really well and removed the hard water spots. The stuff is a little pricey, but it is by far the best "boat" product I have used.

Once I ran out of Babes, I toweled down with damp rag, followed with vinegar and H20 and then followed with Meguires Quick Detail. This is the same thing I did when I lived in Havasu for 8 years and it always works well.

I use the 50% water / 50% white vinegar solution and it works wonders for me.  I've never had any problems, and it's probably cheaper than all of the products mentioned above.

Thanks for the 50/50 vinegar idea. Worked like a charm yesterday. Also works well in boiling water to keep the egg together when you poach them ;)

I have been using Babe's, does anyone else use 303? I had used it in the past and I think I may have actually liked it more because it is easier to apply... but what result does it have versus the dreaded H2O spot???? Surprised.gif

After all you guys mentioned a 50/50 with water and vinegar, I thought I would give it a shot. IT WORKED PERFECT. I was very surprised. I had always used Lime Away. Although Lime Away worked perfectly, it left a residue that needed to be cleaned after the spots were removed. The vinegar solution did not. Glad I gave it a try.

I have been using Babe's, does anyone else use 303?  I had used it in the past and I think I may have actually liked it more because it is easier to apply...  but what result does it have versus the dreaded H2O spot???? Surprised.gif

Are we still talking about cucumbers? I'll give 303 a shot.