Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

what causes the bu to run hot

well last sunday I went out and everything ran fine other than my last post some water was ocming out of a SMALL hole of the manifold i patched it up with some jb weld so i went to put it int he water today to see if the jb would hold up and it held up fine BUT as soon as i got 1000 feet from the boat ramp my BU started to run hot im guessing its not getting water circulation what else could this be. My friend said it smelt like something rubber was burning but i didnt smell it because i wasnt in the back.

also is ther a place online i can buy these parts i need maybe i can get them cheaper online than my mechanic at the local boat shop can thanks

Your best bet for online parts is going to be skidim.com (Discount Inboard Marine).

Have you checked your impeller and made sure your trans cooler doesn't have crap clogging the screen.

Mike

Your best bet for online parts is going to be skidim.com (Discount Inboard Marine). 

Have you checked your impeller and made sure your trans cooler doesn't have crap clogging the screen.

Mike

What mike said - first check the impeller.

i crawled under my boat today to see the little vent thing that sucks in water for the water to circulate and when i looked in there it looks like something black is blocking the vents is this normal or should it just be a vent with a hose attached to it. im prolly confusing you if so let me know maybe i can break it down but i would think where the water sucks in i shouldnt see stuff especially stuff that looks like its blocking the vent. thanks

If you found any black pieces of rubber, your impeller is probably shot.

There are several posts where we have talked about impeller replacement and what to do besides just replacing the impeller.

Just make sure you remove all of the old impeller pieces from the trans cooler and the fresh water pickup side before trying it again. That's the black "vent" on the bottom of the boat.

If you are not sure how to do this or you are uncomfortable doing this repair, I would contact your local dealer and get it done.

Edited by Sunsetter95

Don't chance the cooling ability of your system. If you are comfortable in the steps you are taking, great. If not, contact dealer! Hot engines can demonstrate unhappiness in very expensive ways.

Don't chance the cooling ability of your system. If you are comfortable in the steps you are taking, great. If not, contact dealer! Hot engines can demonstrate unhappiness in very expensive ways.

About $2000 and 2-3 days of hard work.

Speaking from experience.