Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

stearing

jp4190

I just purshed my first Malibu 89 skier a little older but in great shape only 300 hrs on it what do i have to do to upgrade the stearing to make it easer to stear . jp4190

I just purshed my first Malibu 89 skier a little older but in great shape only 300 hrs on it what do i have to do to upgrade the stearing to make it easer to stear . jp4190

Besides greasing the rudder box, its probably time for a steering cable.

Talk to skidim.com about which one you need.

If you are fairly mechanically inclined, its not that difficult to do. If you aren't, take it to a mechanic.

If you are fairly mechanically inclined, its not that difficult to do. If you aren't, take it to a mechanic.

You dont think it shouls be so hard to turn kind if like a car without power stearing befor you are moving. John

If it is the original steering cable, it's prolly time to replace it. It's really not that hard.

Mine was replaced on my 2002 boat last year before I bought it and the difference was night and day the previous owner said...

Edited by areamike
If it is the original steering cable, it's prolly time to replace it. It's really not that hard.

Mine was replaced on my 2002 boat last year before I bought it and the difference was night and day the previous owner said...

Thanks for the info Rockon.gif

You dont think it shouls be so hard to turn kind if like a car without power stearing befor you are moving. John

Mine was really hard to turn, kind of like what you describe, a few months after we bought our boat. It happened pretty fast. Replaced the steering cable, and now we can turn it with one finger, in or out of the water.

Replaced mine in 2006.

Ours was hard to steer and tried the grease thing as well.

You can take the cable loose from the rudder assembly, move the rudder by hand and then move the steering wheel while being disconnected to confirm the cable is the culprit.

Don’t forget to attach a pull wire or rope to the end when you take the bad one out, otherwise routing the new one back through may be a bummer.