Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

RLXi Wet Spot

I am just a few months into my '05 RLXi and have noticed wet carpet under the front most cushion in the open bow. The side storage compartments in the open bow seem to stay dry, just the small front most storage gets damp. I have shop vaced it out a couple of times and it always comes back. It is not from rain and not from water over the bow. Best I can tell it appears to be bilge water that rolls forward through the ski locker. Its really not much water and not a big problem. However, my previous open bow boats have always had dry bow storage.

Have any other RLXi owners experienced this?

Any chance the bow eye is loose letting water in? Might suggest taking the bow eye completely loose, put some silicone around the holes and retighten

I'll watch for that. I haven't noticed it yet. I can't seem to get the water out of my ski locker. The drain plug sits too high when the boat is on the trailer and the water runs forward. It's a good bet that is where yours is coming from especially when you trailer. When you stop, the water runs forward and sloshes up into the bow compartment.

I'll watch for that.  I haven't noticed it yet.  I can't seem to get the water out of my ski locker.  The drain plug sits too high when the boat is on the trailer and the water runs forward.  It's a good bet that is where yours is coming from especially when you trailer.  When you stop, the water runs forward and sloshes up into the bow compartment.

I've noticed this too. I tried putting the plug in to keep the rest of the bilge from draining into the ski locker but the plug leaks and still lets the water in. Maybe this is why the older sunsetters have a through hull drain plug up there.

Our 21 xti had this problem too....it was the heater core that was leaking. With a few people in the bow the boat was tilted forward and the water leaked out of the heater and pooled in the front. It first started as just a dampness but as the leak got worse it ended up as a lot of water. When the leak was small the side storage appeared to be dry yet the front was still wet.

GlassFinder-

I have the same issues on my '04 Response LXI. I just put a moisture absorber sack up under the front cushion. I don't really have standing water though, just some black mold. An yes the location of the front plug sucks. It's way to high up to let all the water drain into the main bilge, from the ski locker.

I'll watch for that.  I haven't noticed it yet.  I can't seem to get the water out of my ski locker.  The drain plug sits too high when the boat is on the trailer and the water runs forward.  It's a good bet that is where yours is coming from especially when you trailer.  When you stop, the water runs forward and sloshes up into the bow compartment.

I've noticed this too. I tried putting the plug in to keep the rest of the bilge from draining into the ski locker but the plug leaks and still lets the water in. Maybe this is why the older sunsetters have a through hull drain plug up there.

My '05 has a through hull drain plug in there, but it sits high and doesn't allow the locker to drain when the boat is on the trailer. I guess I'll have to use a hand held bilge pump and pump it myself.

YES I HAVE NOTICED THAT ON MY 05 RLXI

I FOUND THAT THE BLACK PLASTIC PLUG AT THE REAR OF THE SKI LOCKER WILL NOT SEAL COMPLETELY NO MATTER HOW TIGHT.I TRIED TEFLON TAPE AND IT STILL LEAKED THROUGH. THIS MEANS WATER IN THE SKI LOCKER ALL THE WAY TO THE BOW. THE DEALER IS GOING TO FIX IT AT THE NEXT SERVICE