Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Steering cable replacement help

I'm new to posting to this forum however I have been reading threads ever since I bought my boat a year ago. I am in the middle of replacing the steering cable on my 21' 2001 Wakesetter VLX. I have it disconnected from the steering wheel and the rudder. What I am curious about is how you disconnect it fom the rear mount (~2" square tubing)? There are multiple nuts there and I would like to know the best way to remove before I just start turning nuts? Does anyone know the part number or length of cable that is required? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance-

I'm new to posting to this forum however I have been reading threads ever since I bought my boat a year ago. I am in the middle of replacing the steering cable on my 21' 2001 Wakesetter VLX. I have it disconnected from the steering wheel and the rudder. What I am curious about is how you disconnect it fom the rear mount (~2" square tubing)? There are multiple nuts there and I would like to know the best way to remove before I just start turning nuts? Does anyone know the part number or length of cable that is required? Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance-

I have no input for you on how to change that out....but I had to say hi to a fellow Oakdale person! Yahoo.gif

Oh yeah...welcome to the Crew

Edited by kb3

Not sure what you mean by 'rear mount' for the cable. It's been a while since I replaced mine, but I don't recall having to do anything at the rear other than disconnecting from the rudder. Can you post a pic?

Not sure what you mean by 'rear mount' for the cable. It's been a while since I replaced mine, but I don't recall having to do anything at the rear other than disconnecting from the rudder. Can you post a pic?

I will post a pic when I have a chance to take one. It is a piece of square tubing that is bolted to the boat. The cable runs through this part however it is bolted on both sides? The cable appears to be screwed on to a threaded piece that is threaded through a nut then the square tube then another nut and then you have the pinion (I guess that's what you call it) that is attached to the rudder?

You have 2 places to undo before you can move the cable.

You have the end of the steering cable mounted to the rudder pinion (or whatever it is called) this is held in with a nut, you may have to undo the top nut however to get the assembly to slide out.

Then you must get the bigger nut on that piece of tubing. It has a die cast zinc look to it and is a pretty decent size. This holds the cable in place. If you follow the cable from the bilge it is the first nut you run into.

Hope this helps.

-Chris

I have removed two just this yr and did the last one in 1.7 hrs. yep less then book time. To remove the steering cable start off by removing the 4 bolts off the steering box on the back side of the steering wheel. Follow the cable to where it enters the floor and make sure to remove any heaters, subs or what not in the way. Next remove the end of the cable from the rudder. Follow the end of the cable up to the mounting plate and you will find a nut on each side of the plate. Do not remove or adjust them. About one foot up from the mounting bracket you will find a chrome looking nut. Unscrew the nut and pull cable out of the mounting plate assy. Now tie and tape a piece of weed eater string, rope or some thing so that you can pull the new cable back to the rear of the boat. Before pulling the cable make sure the rudder end of the cable is pushed in so that the end shaft is very short. If you don’t do this part you will have problems pulling the last part of the cable out of the floor hole up front. Now head back under the dash to start pulling on the cable while the other person is feeding the pull rope. The last foot of the cable is the hardest to pull out of the hole and will take a little bending.

After removing the cable you will find # ( Example Teleflex SSC13419 ) near the end of cable. Then call up your dealer, ski dim or go2marine to order the new cable.

Now with the new cable tie and tape the rope back the end of the cable. Have one person start pulling on the rope while you start feeding in the cable. NOTE make sure the rope is pulling the cable or you could put the cable on the wrong side of some wiring. Once you pull the cable all the way to the back reinstall the cable and steering mount.

Steering wheel alignment.

When out on the water and in a safe spot. Drive straight at about 25MPH. When up to speed note the position of the steering wheel. Hold the steering wheel so that you keep going straight (do not turn). Stop the boat and turn off. Remove the steering box on the back side of the steering wheel. Once the box is removed, turn steering wheel straight and reassemble.

Sorry for the long read but I wanted to make this of the first timers. Let me know if I need to make any changes so that we could put this in the DIY area.

I have removed two just this yr and did the last one in 1.7 hrs. yep less then book time. To remove the steering cable start off by removing the 4 bolts off the steering box on the back side of the steering wheel. Follow the cable to where it enters the floor and make sure to remove any heaters, subs or what not in the way. Next remove the end of the cable from the rudder. Follow the end of the cable up to the mounting plate and you will find a nut on each side of the plate. Do not remove or adjust them. About one foot up from the mounting bracket you will find a chrome looking nut. Unscrew the nut and pull cable out of the mounting plate assy. Now tie and tape a piece of weed eater string, rope or some thing so that you can pull the new cable back to the rear of the boat. Before pulling the cable make sure the rudder end of the cable is pushed in so that the end shaft is very short. If you don’t do this part you will have problems pulling the last part of the cable out of the floor hole up front. Now head back under the dash to start pulling on the cable while the other person is feeding the pull rope. The last foot of the cable is the hardest to pull out of the hole and will take a little bending.

After removing the cable you will find # ( Example Teleflex SSC13419 ) near the end of cable. Then call up your dealer, ski dim or go2marine to order the new cable.

Now with the new cable tie and tape the rope back the end of the cable. Have one person start pulling on the rope while you start feeding in the cable. NOTE make sure the rope is pulling the cable or you could put the cable on the wrong side of some wiring. Once you pull the cable all the way to the back reinstall the cable and steering mount.

When out on the water and in a safe spot. Drive straight at about 25MPH. When up to speed note the position of the steering wheel. Hold the steering wheel so that you keep going straight (do not turn). Stop the boat and turn off. Remove the steering box on the back side of the steering wheel. Once the box is removed, turn steering wheel straight and reassemble.

Sorry for the long read but I wanted to make this of the first timers. Let me know if I need to make any changes so that we could put this in the DIY area.

Thumbup.gif Very good write-up. This site has got to be the best thing since sliced bread :werule::thankyou:

Great write-up. I went ahead and ordered the part so that once I do finally pull the old cable out (using your write-up, I can put the new one right in. Thanks for everyone's help, this site is very informative and helpful.

D-goose,

The on the water calibration is cool, but you can do it quick and easy by turning the rudder by hand until it is straight and then bolting it up to the steering.

-Chris

Oldyeller. I hope you didn't use the number I posted it was ONLY an example.

D-goose,

The on the water calibration is cool, but you can do it quick and easy by turning the rudder by hand until it is straight and then bolting it up to the steering.

-Chris

Yes very true Chris but that will only get you close to a straight steering wheel. You have to keep in mind about prop thrust.

Thanks for the compliments and yes I did write this DIY.

Oldyeller. I hope you didn't use the number I posted it was ONLY an example.
D-goose,

-Chris

Yes very true Chris but that will only get you close to a straight steering wheel. You have to keep in mind about prop thrust.

Thanks for the compliments and yes I did write this DIY.

No worries, if it is the wrong one I will just exchange it for the right one. I just figured I would rather have the new cable with me at the time of replacement. I will confirm the part number. Thanks for the heads up though.

...and yes I did write this...

Really? Whistling.gif

...Sorry for the long read but I wanted to make this of the first timers.

Biggrin.gif Actually you did an outstanding job Greg. Thumbup.gif Very nice of you to spend the time. Yes.gif

Thanks Mike. I almost put that some Grammer Police would be able to help clean this up some. Whistling.gif Yes I did reread it a few time's and sure I missed some thing. as I see in your post now. FOR not of

Thanks Mike. I almost put that some Grammer Police would be able to help clean this up some. Whistling.gif

Well if you want more corrections... Biggrin.gif

Now tie and tape a piece of weed eater string, rope or something so that you can pull the new cable back to the rear of the boat...
After removing the cable you will find a # ( Example Teleflex SSC13419 ) near the end of cable...
Now with the new cable, tie and tape the rope to the end of the cable. Have one person start pulling on the rope while you start feeding in the cable. NOTE: Make sure the rope is pulling the cable or you could put the cable on the wrong side of some wiring...

Pretty minor corrections...considering... :)

EDIT: One more -

Thanks Mike. I almost put that some Grammer Police would be able to help clean this up some. Whistling.gif

:Doh: It's Grammar. ROFL.gif

Edited by NorCaliBu
  • 5 years later...

Thanks for this writeup. I plan to do this to my 06 VLX next week. Will also be changing out the Pivot as well. Any other tricks, compounds, tools that anyone has learned since this first posted are appreciated.