Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Battery hookup after being winterized

I have an issue. I was changing out some stereo components this weekend and needed to check them out once I got finished. I hooked up the battery once complete and gauges spun up when I turned key to the right and everything seemed fine. I everything worked. So, I unhooked the battery. A little while later I need to hook the battery back up. Nothing had changed. I hooked up battery again and everything works but the guages will not spin up. I thought I would bump the ignition to see if it would turn over, and nothing. Does anyone have a clue what it going on? I checked the relay panel under the throttle and nothing is tripped. Help.... BTW.. I have an 05 VLX....

Thanks...

check all grounds? Start at the battery, then the ground block under the dash..etc. Make sure they are tight and clean.

Check your kill switch lanyard.

Plus1.gif The kill switch will do that...

Did you check the Battery Selector switch?

Thanks everyone. It was the kill switch. Apparently, the guy I bought the boat from failed to tell me that the kill switch didnt make good contact. I wondered why when I un-hooked it that a dime fell out. I didnt think anything about it, until you guys replied. Apparently, I have to shove a dime in tke kill switch to make good contact. This is one that I refer to my dealer the first time I take it in.... What a frustrating thing.... Thanks for all your help. This would have been the last thing I would have checked because the lanyard was connected.

Thanks everyone. It was the kill switch. Apparently, the guy I bought the boat from failed to tell me that the kill switch didnt make good contact. I wondered why when I un-hooked it that a dime fell out. I didnt think anything about it, until you guys replied. Apparently, I have to shove a dime in tke kill switch to make good contact. This is one that I refer to my dealer the first time I take it in.... What a frustrating thing.... Thanks for all your help. This would have been the last thing I would have checked because the lanyard was connected.

If you're not planning on using the lanyard. Then you can just pull the lanyard off completely and then on the back of the kill switch are 4 terminals. 2 of those terminals are currently connected, the other 2 are empty. Pull the wires off of one set, and put them on the other set. Then the kill switch will work opposite of how it does now (IE: lanyard on = kill, lanyard off = run). I did this on my Echelon and my SSLxi because where Malibu placed the switch, the lanyard was always in the way.

If you're not planning on using the lanyard. Then you can just pull the lanyard off completely and then on the back of the kill switch are 4 terminals. 2 of those terminals are currently connected, the other 2 are empty. Pull the wires off of one set, and put them on the other set. Then the kill switch will work opposite of how it does now (IE: lanyard on = kill, lanyard off = run). I did this on my Echelon and my SSLxi because where Malibu placed the switch, the lanyard was always in the way.

So are you supposed to shove the lanyard back on the switch just before you fly out of the boat? Crazy.gif

J/K...I don't think I've ever clipped that on a single time.

At $0.10, it is the cheapest thing you will ever fix on your boat.

So are you supposed to shove the lanyard back on the switch just before you fly out of the boat? Crazy.gif

J/K...I don't think I've ever clipped that on a single time.

Yup, So make sure that you have the lanyard (and dime, in this case) handy for the next out of boat excursion.

Be Prepared - it's a motto somewhere.