Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

Gas mileage/hourage

We almost ran out of gas this past weekend at WOW, & after doing the math, we got about 4 gph on that tank (so for us, we can roughly go 10 hours on 1 tank). This is way better than I expected, we ran full ballast (1000 lbs) & Wedge for the vast majority of that tank. So I'm curious to know what the rest of you are getting.

Thanks to GeorgeWBush for meeting us at the ramp (very close to where our HB was set up) with a few gallons of gas. When I filled up at the marina I put 38.5 gallons in my 41 gallon tank. We would have run out for sure if we'd tried to make it without that.

EDIT: I just saw something that we should all include, boat model & engine. Mine's an '04 Wakesetter DD w/Hammerhead 380hp.

Edited by WakeGirl

APX. 6 gallons an hour.

Our gauge reads much better than that for the first half of the tank though. The last half of the tank goes by VERY fast.

I've bought an 857 Acme though, I'm hoping that will give me a bit better hole shot and better gas mileage.

I doubt you'll see much difference between the 2 props. I went down in pitch over an inch in size = spinnning more rpms through the entire range (picked up about 600 rpms), & any difference between the 2 is negligible at best.

3 GPH for my 03 RLX w/Monsoon. Skiing from the dock keeps the consumption down as well as the "toodles" to tour the shoreline and visit neighbors.

Don't expect the overall mileage to change, but my hours are sure to go up this season with my 3-year-old riding the kneeboard for 30 minutes at a time. :)

When we normally ride for about 3 or 3.5 hours, my boat will require about 12 ti 12.5 gallons. That's enough for to and fro to our riding spot, and six good pulls. Fully weighted, I'm about 1800lbs of ballast plus the wedge and three peeps.

I guess that would calculate out to: 4.16 GPH

Depends on what we're doing. I would say that wakeboarding we probably go 5 gal/hour but it seems to go MUCH quicker when we surf. I bet we go through 8 gal/hour when we surf only.

We do much better sitting on the dock with adult beverages watching the other boats/riders go by. Cheers.gif

05 rlxi we do really well, even when we're running up and down the course, starting stopping, ppass in turns etc., probably 4.5...monsoon

The sunscape is not as efficient and I would say that we burn 6gph, stock ballast and wedge usually.

I never pay attention to it. Our lake is so small that we don't burn gas for anything other good reasons.

This is a very accurate, but misleading answer to your question:

I own a 1998 Response LX with the 310 carb motor. Kept track of every drop of gas it used last summer over 52.7 hours. I started the season with 1/2 a tank.... and ended with 1/2 a tank. I used a total of 140 Canadian gallons.

So, ended up at = 2.656 Canadian gallons per hour.

Converting to Litres = (2.656 X 4.546 L/Cdn gal) = 12.074 L/hr

Converting to US gallons = (12.074 / 3.7854 L.US gal ) = 3.190 US gallons/hour

THAT's the accurate part.

The innaccurate part is that we may use our boats differently. I use mine 1/3 the time for adults skiing at the 30+ mph. (normal idle out time, pickup etc.)

1/3 the time is used for kids skiing/boarding at under 20 mph.

1/3 is for crusing at various speeds.

Don't know if this helps!

This is a very accurate, but misleading answer to your question:

I own a 1998 Response LX with the 310 carb motor. Kept track of every drop of gas it used last summer over 52.7 hours. I started the season with 1/2 a tank.... and ended with 1/2 a tank. I used a total of 140 Canadian gallons.

So, ended up at = 2.656 Canadian gallons per hour.

Converting to Litres = (2.656 X 4.546 L/Cdn gal) = 12.074 L/hr

Converting to US gallons = (12.074 / 3.7854 L.US gal ) = 3.190 US gallons/hour

THAT's the accurate part.

The innaccurate part is that we may use our boats differently. I use mine 1/3 the time for adults skiing at the 30+ mph. (normal idle out time, pickup etc.)

1/3 the time is used for kids skiing/boarding at under 20 mph.

1/3 is for crusing at various speeds.

Don't know if this helps!

That's kind of cool if you think about it. With a 20mpg automobile driving at 70mph you'll burn about 3.5 gph in your car. So it's all pretty comparable really. I always imagined these boats as the 10mpg variety. LOL

Cheers,

Bryan

I used 34 gals in 6hrs on Sat. I was getting a little freaked out with the gas gauge hitting E. I think my tank is like 39 gal but I won't run this thing longer than 7 hrs when boarding.

We're in the ~4 gph range too. Mostly boarding with a little bit of skiing and cruising and just starting to surf . . . .

With ballast, wonder if boardng & surfing is about the same burnrate as skiing??