Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I have an idea re: pro skiers

martho

That's not saying that they're not smart, it's merely stating that maybe they aren't up to speed on the world of waterskiing - 2 totally different things.  If you want to expand it to include fisherman, pwcs & every other kind of boat out there, why not?  Personally, I'm curious to see what would come of it.  I know many people with i/os & outboards, & it's got me wondering how much they know about that sport from a professional side.  It wouldn't take much to walk up to someone on the dock & say, "Hi, I'm part of a boating club & we're doing an informal poll....".

Jack,

Bluewater makes a really nice runabout.  :)

That is a good way to ask the question, I would answer that question honestly if someone asked me that on the dock. I do know who Parks Bonifey "sp" is.

Lets get a little more detail on the attitudes of competition ski boat owners. The slalom skiers can't stand anyone getting too close to the course or hogging the course or people running the course who have no business doing so. The trick skiers.....well I have know idea about the trick skiers. The barefooters....well we barefooters tend to not like anything in the water making any kind of waves or rollers (yes this includes wallys, water fowl, water rodents, turtles, etc.) and also any wind, at least until we have our runs in and then who gives a crap. The wakeboarders and wakesurfers can't stand anyone else telling them they can't do something. And the kneeboarders....aren't they extinct? Maybe not but I don't know about them either. I guess we comp boat owners are among the pickiest on the the water aren't we? ;)

Lets get a little more detail on the attitudes of competition ski boat owners.  The slalom skiers can't stand anyone getting too close to the course or hogging the course or people running the course who have no business doing so.  The trick skiers.....well I have know idea about the trick skiers.  The barefooters....well we barefooters tend to not like anything in the water making any kind of waves or rollers (yes this includes wallys, water fowl, water rodents, turtles, etc.) and also any wind, at least until we have our runs in and then who gives a crap.  The wakeboarders and wakesurfers can't stand anyone else telling them they can't do something.  And the kneeboarders....aren't they extinct?  Maybe not but I don't know about them either.  I guess we comp boat owners are among the pickiest on the the water aren't we?  ;)

No hold on there 87. All these other folks being on the water and by the course and the rodents are all very welcome to go about their bidness right after my turn. They can do whatever they want when my ski buddy is getting his ski on or getting his ride in. LOL

First person to find a "Wally' family that has an O'brien Mapple ski in their boat but can't name a professional skier gets $5.

I'm actually real curious about this test. I think avoiding fisherman should not be included. I know I couldn't name 1 pro fisherman.

PWC's - The question should read "Can you point to the starboard side of your watercraft?" If not, take their lanyard and run. It's probably the Owner's brother-in-law on the PWC who has never operated a boat a day in their life.

I will ask some people about naming a pro skier. Do they have to be currently participating? I.E. Bob LaPoint no longer skis competitively. (Skiing used to be real popular during the Budwesier Pro Tour, so many people may actually remember this. I'm too young.)

If somone knows Jim Michaels, I'll be very impressed. I'd say less than 1%

ricnvic - Almost everyone knows who Parks Bonifay is, thats why we're not polling if they know wakeboarders.

I'm actually real curious about this test. I think avoiding fisherman should not be included. I know I couldn't name 1 pro fisherman.

That guy on the Bachelor last season was a pro fisherman. What about Babe? Everyone knows him :)

Between now and 7/4/05, when you are on the ramp or cruising around the lake and you see the average I/O tubing family, ask them if they can name one professional skier.  I am going to go one step further and open this to any pro skier, ever at any time. 3 event people only, no wakeboarders.  (not trying to shoot down the dark side, but this is soley derived from a slalom discussion and Dr. Jim's influence)

I will ask some people about naming a pro skier. Do they have to be currently participating? I.E. Bob LaPoint no longer skis competitively. (Skiing used to be real popular during the Budwesier Pro Tour, so many people may actually remember this. I'm too young.)

Thanks Martho, I read the thread last night and didn't respond till today, I should have reread it.

I've never seen the Bachelor (not my cup of tea), and the only Babe I know is a pig. The only guy I've heard of is the guy the screams like a mad man when he catches a fish (Maxim did an article on him). Don't know his name..could be Babe?

even more than Sammy Duvall????????

I would think Duvall, Mapple, LaPoint, Kristi Overton, are the most recognized names in Slalom

Edited by martho

My recognizable was in quotes, I was referring to the Movie. I agree, I would have to put Mapple first. Also, like WakeGirl said, I was trying to name someone outside of slalom. Perhaps old "Banana George?"

My recognizable was in quotes, I was referring to the Movie.  I agree, I would have to put Mapple first.  Also, like WakeGirl said, I was trying to name someone outside of slalom.  Perhaps old "Banana George?"

LOL, I forgot about him. He's got to be more recognizeable than all the rest to the general population.

There's a pretty decent chance I'm going drinking with Chris Parrish tonight. One of my good friends from the ski team lives with him and they're looking to go downtown. I'll see if he gets recognized at all. :)

In another thread, it was mentioned that the average I/O wally family would not know Dr. Jim. 

So no one (me) is embarrassed, I'll take one for "Team Ignorance" and ask, "Who in the world IS Dr. Jim??" (as I cower in shame...)

It seems - who cares?

A cheater?

A dentist with a problem?

Someone taking the p!ss out of everyone?

As the photos show - how the h@ll did he expect to pull this hoax off?