Welcome to TheMalibuCrew!

As a guest, you are welcome to poke around and view the majority of the content that we have to offer, but in order to post, search, contact members, and get full use out of the website you will need to Register for an Account. It's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the TheMalibuCrew Family today!

I have an idea re: pro skiers

martho

In another thread, it was mentioned that the average I/O wally family would not know Dr. Jim.

Between now and 7/4/05, when you are on the ramp or cruising around the lake and you see the average I/O tubing family, ask them if they can name one professional skier. I am going to go one step further and open this to any pro skier, ever at any time. 3 event people only, no wakeboarders. (not trying to shoot down the dark side, but this is soley derived from a slalom discussion and Dr. Jim's influence)

Please report back.

I am going to guess it will be 5% or less that can name any pro skier.

Can we just leave a sticky note on their windshield? I would hate to strike up a conversation with those kind of people, not much telling where it may lead. I get tired of telling them where my engine is..........

Good question, though, I bet it is lower than 5%, especially here in West Texas where they thing there are catfish usually hooked on the other end of the slalom balls. I've seen guys actually trying to attach hooks and bait out a slalom course!

Already know the answer so post the poll result now. A friend of a friend's friend turned up at the Club last season with a 20 foot cuddy cabin boat with 175hp Merc outboard and asked for guidance on the launching ramp

To safeguard the slalom course and jump ramp I condescended to give a quick lesson on Lake etiquette on the water. What the heck was I getting myself into. These dickheads had everything - it's what you do when you are a sharebroker with plenty of coin - you just buy lots of stuff & stick it in the boat in case.

The ramp is quite steep and with the famous five firmly on board, they backed the Remuera Tractor (SUV) down the ramp while one held onto the dreaded launching rope. You may as well get on board now they said - how the hell do you clamber over the side of one of these ridiculous craft when the sides are eight feet in the air all the way to the back and the outboard is already in the water. Nutso - I swam.

Strewn about inside there was so much stuff, there was nowhere to plant your feet - a beach umbrella, dozens of towels, five or six skis & some in cardboard packaging still, water toys, chilly bins full of food & soft drinks, more towels, a camera and tele lens, video camera, five or six tow ropes, SPF30 creams, and a box of hats - the camp leader was intent on showing me his latest Navman GPS & I had to interrupt & tell him that the motor (screaming) was ready to lower into the water before it seized.

On our way - the instruction to motor gently round the outside of the slalom course meant hard out and steer in jerky movements by slipping the hands through 90 degrees at a time, all the while focussing on the depth sounder and reporting back that it was 100 feet deep below us at this point.

What about the box of hats I asked. Oh I'm always loosing hats when I'm out on the boat (puts his head up) - look there goes another one now! Get me another hat someone.

Got back to the shore as soon as I could and hid in case they wanted a spotter or coach - no I remember, they didn't need a coach because the young one was a triathlete, champion swimmer and a bunch of other things and he could teach everyone else to make huge sprays. What did they need me for.

The good thing is that after playing with all this stuff for a day, it would most likely end up in the trader pages because they had "nailed" that activity & would move onto the next thing that caught their eye.

Know anything about skiing/skiers? Nuh.

Crazy.gif

In another thread, it was mentioned that the average I/O wally family would not know Dr. Jim. 

So no one (me) is embarrassed, I'll take one for "Team Ignorance" and ask, "Who in the world IS Dr. Jim??" (as I cower in shame...)

So no one (me) is embarrassed, I'll take one for "Team Ignorance" and ask, "Who in the world IS Dr. Jim??" (as I cower in shame...)

AD: (EDIT - not my words!)

MooseJuice is used exclusively by K.C. Water Park/Cable Lake

to protect their water quality. It is the only lubricant allowed

on the Cable Lake.

MooseJuice is the exclusive sponsor of the Malibu Open where

Dr. Jim Michaels is expected to shatter the world record!

Stay tuned for these exciting results!

Edited by andyb

Depends on who you ask......

Dr Jim is either the second coming of Bob LaPoint or the anti-Christ, I'm going with BlaP.

Thanks Bud ! I owe ya one.

While we now own an LSV, my previous boat was a 23' 270HP SeaRay with an open bow and, yes, an I/O. There was also a Malibu FlightCraft in the family for barefooting. Both had booms for teaching and footing. My guess is that I was just the kind of boater this post is making fun of and that perception could not be further from the truth.

After 25 years of owning an I/O, I now have an inboard and appreciate the difference. What great boats! While I now see the light, there are plenty of I/O owners that are courteous and safe. Certainly many can name pro skiers--including wakeboarders.

I/O owners and wakeboarders are not the dark side. There are plenty of unsafe dolts on the water no mater what their boat or sport preference may be. :)

YEAH!!! What he said!!! I happen to rather like my I/O though it'll be a Sunsetter VLX here soon. Let's just leave it at Wally from now on because I've met plenty of bling happy wakeboard boat owners this summer who don't know a slalom ski from a fence picket or can name more than one wakeboard pro. They're worse than Wally's cuz they're driving a boat with thousands of pounds more ballast than they need wrecklessly and discourteously.

While we now own an LSV, my previous boat was a 23' 270HP SeaRay with an open bow and, yes, an I/O. There was also a Malibu FlightCraft in the family for barefooting. Both had booms for teaching and footing. My guess is that I was just the kind of boater this post is making fun of and that perception could not be further from the truth.

After 25 years of owning an I/O, I now have an inboard and appreciate the difference. What great boats! While I now see the light, there are plenty of I/O owners that are courteous and safe. Certainly many can name pro skiers--including wakeboarders.

I/O owners and wakeboarders are not the dark side. There are plenty of unsafe dolts on the water no mater what their boat or sport preference may be.  :)

Let's see...

The canoeists hate the fishermen.... because they are killing nature, leaving dead carcasses and bait and fish guts all around. Darn Fishermen. Especially those Bass Boat idjuts!

The fishermen hate the skiers. They put out their courses that catch their fishing lures.... they "claim" part of the lake as well. They just go back and forth and back and forth all day long.... and especially in the early morning and dusk when the fish are biting so well. Darn skiers!

The skiers hate the Boarders. These guys fill up their boats with 10 people, 2000 pounds of extra water, then cruise along at 20 mph and kill the shoreline with their monster wakes. And then..... then have these stupid speakers mounted up way high blasting out losy music at 200 watts per speaker.... as if they own the lake. Totally wrecking anything that resembles a smooth ski run. Darn wakeboarders!

The wakeboarders hate the PWC folks. Those guys just buzz around back and forth, jumping their monster wakes, jeopardizing their boarders. No respect. Darn PWC folks.

PWC folks hate the canoeists. They're so darned hard to see when you're pulling water donuts and making spray that everyone loves to watch. When the slow moving canoe guys get in the way, it spoils the show. Darn canoeists.

Haven't quite figured out where I/O folks... or pontoon boats.... or peddle boats.... or sailboats.... etc etc fit in. But I'm sure everyone hates everyone else just the same!

Seems we all have a hard time sharing the lake sometimes with all those "other" boaters. Or understanding them.

Edited by doughickey
YEAH!!! What he said!!! I happen to rather like my I/O though it'll be a Sunsetter VLX here soon. Let's just leave it at Wally from now on because I've met plenty of bling happy wakeboard boat owners this summer who don't know a slalom ski from a fence picket or can name more than one wakeboard pro. They're worse than Wally's cuz they're driving a boat with thousands of pounds more ballast than they need wrecklessly and discourteously.

I/O owners and wakeboarders are not the dark side. There are plenty of unsafe dolts on the water no mater what their boat or sport preference may be.  :)

Well said.

Well said.

Yep. The boat doesn't make the Wally.

Between now and 7/4/05, when you are on the ramp or cruising around the lake and you see the average I/O tubing family, ask them if they can name one professional skier.  I am going to go one step further and open this to any pro skier, ever at any time.  3 event people only, no wakeboarders.  (not trying to shoot down the dark side, but this is soley derived from a slalom discussion and Dr. Jim's influence)

Please report back.

I am going to guess it will be 5% or less that can name any pro skier.

I could not name one pro skier to save my life but that does not mean I don't like boating, skiing or boarding. heck I couldn't name half of the musicians or groups that I hear on the radio but that doesn't mean I don't like music. I also had an I/O and a tube, we still have a tube the kids just love it. I guess all that matters is that you have fun enjoying time at the lake and time with your family no matter what kind of boat you have or how many pro skiers names you know.

Incidentally, we were out with the local ski club at the course this evening & there was a guy there that could pretty much run with the other guys as far as skill level goes (IIRC they were all running 15 off @ about 32) & he was doing it on a really fat ski (HO Rival). I assumed that everyone in the club had a tourny boat, but no, this guy owned a Bluewater - LOL, & he was giving the MC owner there crap about his wake being softer than the MC's, bigger but softer. ROFL.gif Anyway, my point is that it does happen that good skiers can own i/os.

I took some heat for this the last time I said it, but I'll stick my neck out there again and agree that the boat doesn't make the skier. There's a boarder by me at my lake that rides behind an I/O with what looks like a homemade tower that goes bigger than lots of the guys with inboards. The guys that taught me to barefoot never owned an inboard. One of the guys was good enough to score enough points at a competition to be allowed to go over the jump ramp. All they had was an I/O. I'd bet money that those guys were better skiers than more than half of the inboard owners. Having an inboard doesn't necessarily make you a good rider/skier and having an I/O doesn't necessarily make you a wally.

Edited by billb

Doug,

The I/O folks love everyone and are having way too much fun to hate anyone else. The pontoon boaters just don't care as long as the cooler stays full of brewskis. The peddleboaters can't stand all the other boats that throw wakes their way and the sailboaters are too busy communing with nature and reflecting on a simpler life to care. Finally it goes without saying that pretty much everyone can't stand the pwc folks. Biggrin.gif

I assumed that everyone in the club had a tourny boat, but no, this guy owned a Bluewater - LOL, & he was giving the MC owner there crap

My first new boat was a Bluewater (if this is the same company, there are a couple). I had the Mirage and loved it.

Edit: I forgot to add that I've always loved giving MC owners crap. :)

Edited by VinRLX
I could not name one pro skier to save my life but that does not mean I don't like boating, skiing or boarding. heck I couldn't name half of the musicians or groups that I hear on the radio but that doesn't mean I don't like music. I also had an I/O and a tube, we still have a tube the kids just love it. I guess all that matters is that you have fun enjoying time at the lake and time with your family no matter what kind of boat you have or how many pro skiers names you know.

You are competely missing the point. If you are going to steer the thread off topic, at least know the purpose of the thread. No one is saying I/O's are automatically wally and comp boats are great. No one is debating boarders vs skiers vs tubers. This thread is the direct result of the discussion regarding Dr. Jim and whether he has added visability to the sport. Go back and read the entire PB slalom thread. Hopefully after you have done that, you wont go hijacking threads and turning them into a debate which does not need to be debated.

Whew!!!!!!! I thought that I was going to get banished because it was my "litmus test" of Dr. Jim's visibilityimpact to the sport.

I see that I need to state my test more preciscly.

For the record I do not think that I/O owners, prevous or present, are bad or don't posses water skills. They are people and as such they posses just as much ability to be an a$$ as malibu, mastercraft, and correct craft DD or VD owners.

My test was only to see if someone who does not have regular access to a 3 event ski club/site would know who Jim Micheals is. I would imagine that most people who own a waterski of any type know who Wade Cox and Andy Mapple are, these are the folks that probably don't know who Micheals is or that he has set the M4 world record.

I am not a waterski boat bigot, I will get just as upset by someone in malibu coming within 10' of my bow as I will get when an I/O cuddy cruiser does the same.

You are competely missing the point. If you are going to steer the thread off topic, at least know the purpose of the thread. No one is saying I/O's are automatically wally and comp boats are great. No one is debating boarders vs skiers vs tubers. This thread is the direct result of the discussion regarding Dr. Jim and whether he has added visability to the sport. Go back and read the entire PB slalom thread. Hopefully after you have done that, you wont go hijacking threads and turning them into a debate which does not need to be debated.

Then why didn't you just say ask any boaters at the dock if they know who Dr. Jim is not just ask your average I/O Wally family who he was? you kind of implied that I/O tubing famliys were not to smart. Here's your qoute. "In another thread, it was mentioned that the average I/O wally family would not know Dr. Jim."

I was not trying to steer the thread anywhere, just pointing something out.

That's not saying that they're not smart, it's merely stating that maybe they aren't up to speed on the world of waterskiing - 2 totally different things. If you want to expand it to include fisherman, pwcs & every other kind of boat out there, why not? Personally, I'm curious to see what would come of it. I know many people with i/os & outboards, & it's got me wondering how much they know about that sport from a professional side. It wouldn't take much to walk up to someone on the dock & say, "Hi, I'm part of a boating club & we're doing an informal poll....".

Jack,

Bluewater makes a really nice runabout. :)